OpenOffice.org Sucks
Nov 8, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The setting's in Tools -> AutoCorrect -> Options or some such in OO.o 2.

Yes, OO.o is worse than MSO. You'd still be a fool to use MSO if you don't need specific features or 100% compatibility with MSO... it will cost you a lot more than you might think down the road.

You are my savior now... Thank you so much! One more step to full linux conversion

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by BPRJam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still highly prefer the Corel office suite (Wordperfect, Quatro, etc.) to Office. It's reliable and cheaper than (the non Ultimate Steals) Office Package.

My school is 100% WordPerfect as is my workplace (I live in Ottawa...Corel City!) WordPerfect is a wonderful word processor and still blows Word out the window in my opinion. The problem? There is no Mac version (current anyway) and no linux port (though they had one years ago). I rarely work on Windows when I'm not at the office...this leaves me with MS Office 2004 for MAC or on my linux box, I use Crossover Office 2003 or OO for something quick I use pico
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Multiple saves are always recommended. I also have my crucial files on both DVD and posted securely to the web.

Excellent advice.

The key is a proper workflow. As a student (or well anyone where a file is of great importance) there should be a very strict workflow to ensure data integrity and security.

This is what I do:

1) Choose my programme wisely unless forced to use a certain app.

2) Configure autosave for 5 min interval saves

3) Manually save to another source after each significant section has been prepared (USB key for instance)

4) After the work session is complete I save a backup copy to another drive, I save to the USB key and I send myself an email through gmail. Google will always do a better backup and will have it be far more robust than I can ever afford.

In this way, I have incremental backups at the 5 min mark, and sectional backups on the USB key. Major backups at shut down to 2 alternate sources, 1 locally and another offsite. Seriously, it seems like this is overkill but it has saved my butt a few times, particularly going with the gmail thing. The problem with offsite only is if internet connectivity borks somehow. This has happened to me before at critical times so it was nice having the file on a second HD if possible. Not to mention USB key. I don't tend to back up my data on optical media anymore simply because I don't buy a lot of rewrietables and with gmail and the fact that usb keys are so cheap, I just use those instead.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I agree that OpenOffice.org sucks big time.
Its slow, unstable and don't look or behave as native application at all. If they only could make an Aqua application, instead of using the nasty X11...

"They" have. It is called NeoOffice.

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"They" have. It is called NeoOffice.

I am fully aware of NeoOffice.
But its not OpenOffice.org, which we discuss here.

OpenOffice.org could have been great, if they only cared about releasing a native Mac OS X version. Like they have for MS Windows and GNU/Linux... Oh well!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #36 of 47
How is it not openoffice? Save for base, it is a mere fork of the original OO and uses Aqua vs. X11. It is OO just with a bit of extra code thrown in to work with Aqua, and better yet it is GPL not LGPL. So Sun can't screw the little guy outright.

NeoOffice is what you are asking for, just not from the "official" OO team. Same code, different guys finalizing the install app.

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

How is it not openoffice?

OpenOffice.org is a brand name copyrighted by OpenOffice.org. Only they can use that brand name.

NeoOffice is a fork of OpenOffice.org. Its using the same engine below, but different GUI (Java based) and different name/branding. Aka, it is not OpenOffice.org

Nov 8, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gave open office about 6 or 7 minutes chance before I banished it to oblivion forever.

Yes, ditto with this; I think it suxors.

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

OpenOffice.org is a brand name copyrighted by OpenOffice.org. Only they can use that brand name.

NeoOffice is a fork of OpenOffice.org. Its using the same engine below, but different GUI (Java based) and different name/branding. Aka, it is not OpenOffice.org

Well if I want to be pedantic..Sun copyrighted OO. But whatever, the point is...if the NAME is what is bugging you, call NeoOffice OpenOffice and be done with it. It is not merely the engine but the entire code base used scrub the x11 requirements and throw in the aqua as you state. Again, I'm unsure what your problem is? You want EXACTLY this (at least you stated as much in your post) You wanted OO running with Aqua not java/X11. NeoOffice is OO running Aqua not Java/X11. Just because OpenOffice programmers didn't do the interface this somehow makes you opposed to using it?

I don't get it. Seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, I really don't understand the problem.

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #40 of 47
I love OO. I haven't had any problems since I started using it a few years ago. I suspect it's either your configuration or something else conflicting with OO. (What that is, however, I do not know)

I always hit ctrl+s every time I take a pause out of habit so I don't have to rely on autosaving or hoping it asks me to save when I close.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Well if I want to be pedantic..Sun copyrighted OO. But whatever, the point is...if the NAME is what is bugging you, call NeoOffice OpenOffice and be done with it. It is not merely the engine but the entire code base used scrub the x11 requirements and throw in the aqua as you state. Again, I'm unsure what your problem is? You want EXACTLY this (at least you stated as much in your post) You wanted OO running with Aqua not java/X11. NeoOffice is OO running Aqua not Java/X11. Just because OpenOffice programmers didn't do the interface this somehow makes you opposed to using it?

I don't get it. Seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, I really don't understand the problem.

Its not the name that is bugging me, its the product.
OpenOffice.org to be precise, as thats what we are talking about here. I want OpenOffice.org running with no X11, using Aqua/Cocoa.

I still don't understand why you talk about NeoOffice. Cause it is not OpenOffice.org, and its not Aqua/Cocoa either.. Its Java (at least a big portion of the GUI code).
rolleyes.gif

Hence its totally unrelated to this discussion!

Imo this is getting far off-topic. The OP talk about OpenOffice.org, and lets keep it there. Not talk about all kind of different Office applications...

Edit:
Or am I missing out of something?
Cause to my information OpenOffice.org is a copyrighted brand name, and can only be used by software relased by the OpenOffice.org team (owned by Sun Microsystems). The source code are freely available, which are used to create NeoOffice.
Those who create forks, using parts of the code, don't have legal rights to use the OpenOffice.org brand name. Hence they have to name it ex. NeoOffice.

Using OpenOffice.org code don't mean that its Openoffice.org...
Just like we don't are allowed to pull the NeoOffice source code, make some modification o the code, and sell/share it using the NeoOffice name. Or?

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Using OpenOffice.org code don't mean that its Openoffice.org...
Just like we don't are allowed to pull the NeoOffice source code, make some modification o the code, and sell/share it using the NeoOffice name. Or?

Actually, you can, provided you comply with the GPL:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNU GPL v2
1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

Yes, OO is slow, but not unusable even on my 400 MHz Pentium II. None of my more modern computers have any trouble running it at all, and I've never had any problems with it. Of course, it may not be 100% compatible with all MS Office documents, but that's Microsoft's fault for not publishing the specifications of their formats.

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #43 of 47
I personally don't mind openoffice, but my mum hates it mostly because it is different' to the office that she is used to.

Lately though, I've been using docs.google.com word processor. Being able to access it from anywhere is really useful, and it does everything I need it to do.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Its not the name that is bugging me, its the product.
OpenOffice.org to be precise, as thats what we are talking about here. I want OpenOffice.org running with no X11, using Aqua/Cocoa.

That's what NeoOffice IS. OO.org will never, ever use Aqua since it's developed for compatibility with as many Operating Systems as possible. If you don't like that and want something that uses Aqua, NeoOffice is OpenOffice.org with Aqua. Exactly that. Nothing more, nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back