Opening the $7,999 Zähl HM1 amplifier with Michael Zähl!
Jun 2, 2023 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

At Munich High-End GoldenSound and DMS opened up the Zähl HM1 with Michael Zähl himself, and took a look the inside of this unique and exclusive amplifier.

In 2023, only 50 HM1s were made, with Headphones.com securing 25 units for North America. That shipment was has completely sold through!

Pre-Orders will open again when ETA is received for the next shipment. If you'd like to be notified, you can register here: HM1: https://headphones.com/products/zahl-hm1-reference-desktop-headphone-amplifier

Jun 3, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 17
Herr Zahl is a big deal in certain circles!

Indeed, a mate uses a 9 channel AM1 mixer in his studio and I’ve had the pleasure of playing with it, wonderful bit of kit.

Jun 3, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 17
Now make a bunch more!

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 17
Many people believe design is far more important than a bunch of “audio grade” components.
It has nothing to do with “audio grade” snake oil audiophilea stuff. How about just using highly trusted brand name capacitors like Nichicon, Nippon Chemi-Con or Rubycon. Not Chinese garbage made by Teapo, lost count of the amount of caps I’ve had fail from this brand… Even 1k+ Chinese amps won’t use their own caps :upside_down:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 17
It has nothing to do with “audio grade” snake oil audiophilea stuff. How about just using highly trusted brand name capacitors like Nichicon, Nippon Chemi-Con or Rubycon. Not Chinese garbage made by Teapo, lost count of the amount of caps I’ve had fail from this brand… Even 1k+ Chinese amps won’t use their own caps :upside_down:

Apologies I didn't realise they were cheap crap as I had not heard of them before. In this case then yes I agree an amplifier of this price range shouldn't ship with low quality parts.

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 17

Michael stress tests and matches each component before use so if he deems it suitable then I’d be foolish to disagree, his mixers operate faultlessly in professional studios and under duress out on tour.

Zahl AM1

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 17
I just can't help seeing this, and not just this, as trying to drive in a tac in with a sledgehammer. Beautifully designed but overkill none the less...
Meh...
Avoid DCS equipment :smile:

Jun 5, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 17
Well, heck, I'm not going to dis the man and his creations, but in OZ this amp would retail around $10k or more and I sure as hell wouldn't want to see even the better Jamicon series caps in my $10-12k amp! That's like using electrolytic caps and sand-cast resistors in $5-10k speakers. I use Nichicons KG Gold Tune series in some of my gear and I know full well the improvement sonically it makes even over already good standard Nichicon fare. I certainly hope that this amplifier sounds truly amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back