Open vs Closed v1 Darths - My Impressions
Apr 17, 2007 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Beyers.jpg

Well today I got my very own pair of v1 Screened Darth Beyers. Apparently they aren’t your ‘standard’ version of screened Darths but ones with a smaller opening. I’ve been listening to them for around two hours now and have been comparing them with my v1 closed Darths.

Now I’m not all that good at writing reviews or describing what I’m hearing. I’m also not uber experienced with different equipment like some of you guys so take this comparison for what it’s worth. I do however know what I like 
My equipment is as follows:

FLAC encoded music on my PC HDD
Wireless squeezebox2
Optical cable into my modified Lite DAC-AH (CAA Mod)
Into my Xin SuperMacro III v4

The music I’ve been listening to during the last few hours includes: Tool, A perfect Circle, Machine Head, System of A Down, Grimfist, Pantera, Greenday and others that I can’t remember.

So with all that in mind, here are my thoughts.

Asthetics

Both of the phones look very similar apart from the screens on the open version. The cup depth and angles are almost identical. The black pads on the screened version look much better against the dark red wood in my opinion.

Sound

The sound difference between the screened and closed versions is dramatic.
Soundstage is MUCH wider and also deeper I think. There is much more air around all the instruments and it’s now much easier for me to close my eyes and imagine a spot in space where the instrument is.

Bass is pretty much why people buy these phones in the first place. It’s very hard to measure, but the bass in the screened darths is just as present and ‘loud’ as in the closed ones. However it does have a different sound to it. I’m not exactly sure how to describe it but the words ‘smooth’ and ‘natural’ come to mind. There is a much less ‘boxed in’ feeling to the bass notes and less reverb. There is maybe slightly less physical impact but to my ears it sounds much more pleasing. On bass heavy tracks they can still make my ears rattle
smily_headphones1.gif

Midrange in the screened darths sounds very similar to the closed version in my opinion. The extra soundstage definitely helps separate the vocals from the rest of the instruments which makes for a more entertaining performance. Everything still sounds smooth and nice. Certainly no complaints here!

Highs are maybe very slightly rolled off compared to the closed version. It’s hard to pinpoint much difference at all really, it’s more of a ‘feeling’ that they are slightly more subdued than in the closed version. Hard to say if it’s better or worse. To my ears it sounds great.

Overall I really like the sound of these screened Darths. I had no qualms with my closed versions but after hearing these I’d say they will be going on the FS forums in the not too distant future. In my very humble opinion the screened Darths are a big improvement in almost every aspect of the sound.

If you guys have any questions or want any more info please feel free to ask me. I’ll do my best to answer them as best I can
smily_headphones1.gif
I wish I could write a better review for you.

Thanks for reading
Paul

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Nice writeup. Shame he doesn't do the screened version any more
frown.gif

You had regular 770s before having them modded right? I listen to the same music as you pretty much and I've been teetering on having mine modded for a long time. Everyone says get grados but I much prefer the closed style to the grados since my source is my computer and it's quite loud. Does the mod really open up the mid range and bring it forward compared to stock?

Thanks

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice writeup. Shame he doesn't do the screened version any more
frown.gif

You had regular 770s before having them modded right? I listen to the same music as you pretty much and I've been teetering on having mine modded for a long time. Everyone says get grados but I much prefer the closed style to the grados since my source is my computer and it's quite loud. Does the mod really open up the mid range and bring it forward compared to stock?

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'open up' the midrange. But it definately brings it forward!

With my stock 770/80 I always felt that the vocalist was a little too far off in the distance. Almost sounded like he/she was backstage while the band was on stage!

With the Darths the mids are brought in-line with the rest of the sound and the singer rejoins the band on stage
smily_headphones1.gif
. If I remember correctly (it's been a while) there is also more detail brought out in the mids due to the fact they're brought forward. The high end could be a little harsh on the 770/80 to my ears and that is smoothed out somewhat with the Darths.

My darths were of the 770/250 variety not the 770/80 so I'm not sure what difference that would make (I read somewhere that all Darths are converted to 770/80, but I couldn't verify this info)

Paul

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Well open up was a bad choice of words, it's been a while since I even thought about audio stuff. Thanks for the insight
smily_headphones1.gif
Going to pull the trigger over at headphile soon.

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame he doesn't do the screened version any more
frown.gif

I don't?
tongue.gif
Been to Beyer Mods page lately?...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't?
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Pure evil!!

I'm sure that will make quite a few people very happy
smily_headphones1.gif

I WILL NOT be tempted!....*eep*... not for a little while anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Paul

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't?
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Noooooo.......

I was interested in the kind with the magnetic covers, but not at the prices on the deals page. Now... I... must ... not.... order......... gah......

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Here's to hoping he adds the deep depth Darth's to his lineup. I'm sure some people would be willing to pay the premium that these would go for.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back