Open vs. closed in the workplace
Feb 24, 2006 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

daronk

New Head-Fier
Still trying to figure out which cans to get for the workplace. The question is do you think that the open style will bleed too much to disturb others in the area? I'm in cube-ville and don't want to "wake" anyone up!! So at moderate volume will you hear the bleed from say 5 feet away?... 10 feet away?...2 feet through the cube wall? Is this an issue?

I was looking at the HD600 but might have to go with the closed HD280 Pro or something. What do you use at work??

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 29
You probably have to look at different models of open phones..some do leak more than others.

Personally I would probably go with an open style that doesn't leak TOO MUCH sound. It's good to be able to hear others speaking to you, or hear the phone ring. If you like to listen at really high volumes then closed may be for you.

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 29
Right - I don't want people having to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention. Do the closed isolate THAT much that I wouldn't hear the phone??

Do the Senn HD595/580/600's leak alot??

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 29
A lot depends on volume but yes, closed can keep you from hearing your phone ring. I listen to my completely open headphones in my cubicle. It is faintly audible to my neighbors, but I asked them and it doesn't bother them at all. I chose the open headphones so that I can hear the phone ring, etc.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by daronk
Right - I don't want people having to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention. Do the closed isolate THAT much that I wouldn't hear the phone??

Yes, infact open ones will do that as well if you like your music loud

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 29
Realistically, this is an issue about your co-workers as much as -- or more than -- open vs. closed headphones. If you sat in the next cubicle from me and I could hear faint, trebly music, I would unconsciously try to figure out what was playing -- for some reason, really faint music piques my interest ... I can't ignore it. So, for me, having someone with open 'phones in the next cubicle could be very distracting. Maybe you should consider closed 'phones, played at a low level so as not to block out all ambient noises.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 29
I use my Grados at work, and someone sits about 5 feet behind me (opposite facing desks). He says he can't even hear it when I listen at low volumes, but I tend to go for extremes (usually a couple steps above bearly audible, but occasionally an all out assault
580smile.gif
).

If you can deal with very low volume levels, Grados work.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 29
Grados and the HD 580/600/650 leak very audibly at moderate volumes. Definitely would annoy someone in the same room. I would buy a closed headphone that doesn't isolate much, like something from the Audio Technica line (a500 or a900, woodies, es7, etc.). Their's nothing necessarily bad about a headphone being closed...these compare well to some good open headphones.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 29
CLOSED!

Absolutely.

I can't stand if someone next to me has open headphones that LEAK, especially if their music sucks!

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 29
If I had to work in an open office I'd choose my Koss portapro rather than my Beyer DT250-80, the latter being a closed can. The sound leaking out from the portas is nothing to worry about unless someone is sitting right next to you like when commuting and you play really loud. Be aware that the ambient noise level due to people and fans are quite high at an open office. You will still be able to be reasonably responsive to people calling for attention and phones ringing with cans like portapro. You will be able to fine-tune the balance of risking disturbing others and risking to be viewed as an isolated freak simply by using the volume knob. Of course this depends on how you are expected to react to clients and work mates at work but this is based on my requirements.

The portapro sounds fabulous powered by the integrated sound from your computer, really classy when amped by something like PA2v2 in my opinion. Incredibly good really. There are better open cans of course but I would not give it much thought at work, personally. Portapro would be my choice or maybe px-100. You are working, not in the audiophile mood listening for subtle nuances and contemplating the placement of musicians at the soundstage. I happen to have an office with a door so I prefer to use my Logitech z-3 speaker system at really low level. Horrible sound of course compared to koss portapro but it works for me.

Headphones like Beyerdynamics DT250 attenuates environmental noise far too much in my opinion in order to be useful at the workplace. They also prompt you to really listen closely to the music because they are much more detailed and higher resolved. Combined... well, not that it closes you off entirely to the outer world but personally I choose not to use DT250 at work. I wouldn't have a chance hearing people knocking at my door and I doubt I would even hear my phone ringing, or care if it did. I'm afraid I would enter the world of music instead of working...
basshead.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 29
I use hd650's at work at moderate volumes and no one can hear anything. I'd have to turn them up to the point of it being too loud for people in adjacent cubes to hear anything..and even then it would be a lower volume to them then if I had a small portable radio on in my cube.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 29
Got the HD595s I find I have to turn them up a notch just to enjoy the fullness of the sound but sadly it means people few meters away can hear exactly what im hearing...

Im gonna have to go back to closed, and I agree with Visigodo, gotta have bit of respect for others around you and I wouldnt want others to hear my music playlist anyhow + If I wanna run Jenna Jamesom American Sex star episodes !

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 29
I use either my DT770's or K271's at work as both are closed. Sometimes, I use my IEM's. When the 701's finally get here, I will not be using them in the office, as I know they will leak like crazy. I like the auto mute feature of the K271, but the sound takes a little "getting used to".
smily_headphones1.gif
I keep both DT770 and K271 on hand at work, depending on what I'm listening to.

271's are on right now... Diana Krall is having her way with my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back