Open headphones with huge soundstage (max £200)
Jul 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Saesang

Head-Fier
As title says
I mainly listen to shoegaze, post-rock, classical, i.e. music with lots of distorted guitar and has big sounds. I hate sibilance, mids should be warm and detailed (this is most important), bass should be punchy. My head is quite big.
I will use it with laptop at home. I will look into dacs/amps later but that's a different discussion.

Recs, please

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 30
  Base on U.S. pricing--Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (although it's more neutral than warm).

+1

If you want something warmer you should consider Philips Fidelio X1

Best Luck!

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 30
  I listen to a lot of post rock and I'm very pleased with my HiFi Man HE 400. They're orthostatic, but can still be driven fine without an amp. 

The HE 400 has good bass, but won't deliver its full sound without an amp.  Like most orthodynamic cans, it does not deliver a large, much less huge, sound stage.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 30
I would think most people here would say no sub £200 headphones has a huge soundstage.  Still, a used HE-400 seems like it would be right up your alley.  Definitely get an amp/DAC for it sometime down the road.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 30
  I would think most people here would say no sub £200 headphones has a huge soundstage.  Still, a used HE-400 seems like it would be right up your alley.  Definitely get an amp/DAC for it sometime down the road.

The 900 and 900X provide the largest sound stage in this price category (and it is very large, if not as huge as that offered by the much more expensive T1 or HD 800) of any cans that I have heard--far bigger than the HE 400.  The HE 400 is a quality can and one to consider if bass is the main factor--especially when amped.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 30

The 900 and 900X provide the largest sound stage in this price category (and it is very large, if not as huge as that offered by the much more expensive T1 or HD 800) of any cans that I have heard--far bigger than the HE 400.  The HE 400 is a quality can and one to consider if bass is the main factor--especially when amped.

Not surprising, I have the A900X and the sound stage is better than I expected from closed sub £200 headphones (obviously much worse than the AD900X but still).  Though it's not something I'd recommend first for post-rock or shoegaze.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 30

Not surprising, I have the A900X and the sound stage is better than I expected from closed sub £200 headphones (obviously much worse than the AD900X but still).  Though it's not something I'd recommend first for post-rock or shoegaze.

I was referring to the open AD 900 & 900X.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 30

I was referring to the open AD 900 & 900X.

I'm aware, I mentioned that too.  I'm pretty sure they have the same sound signature, correct me if I'm wrong. 

Have only spent significant time with the A 900 from the closed pair.  I'm not a big fan of it, especially without a hefty amp (you wouldn't expect that from its specs).  It sounds quite a bit different than the AD's.  The difference in sound stages are a big part of that.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 30
AKG's Q701's has a massive soundstage and after the simple "bass-mod" the bass is fairly punchy. They're also surprisingly cheap for what they offer.

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 30
  As title says
I mainly listen to shoegaze, post-rock, classical, i.e. music with lots of distorted guitar and has big sounds. I hate sibilance, mids should be warm and detailed (this is most important), bass should be punchy. My head is quite big.
I will use it with laptop at home. I will look into dacs/amps later but that's a different discussion.

Recs, please

AKG K612 Pro.  Huge soundstage & a warmer, more musical sound than the K701/K702. Perfect with your preferred music genres. Can be bought for £115.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #15 of 30
You may be correct about the soundstage, but that was not the only requirement - read the original post.

K612 Pro is less sibilant and has warmer mids. It still has a larger soundstage than most other heaphones in the pricerange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back