Open headphones for music/movies/gaming for ~$150-200
May 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Reign1

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of ATH-a500s but I feel like it's time for an upgrade.

I'm looking to use them mainly for music (80s/90s rock mostly, but a lot of other modern music as well across many genres).

Still, I want them to be good for movies and gaming as well and in the $150-200 range (although I'm a little flexible if I have to go a little higher for a superior pair).

I figure I'll go for an open set this time since leakage isn't an issue.

I don't want to be messing around with an amp or anything if I can avoid it.

I have an Auzentech X-fi Forte soundcard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

May 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 31
Alright well, is it feasible to pick up a decent amp + open pair for ~$200 or so? I've been told the built-in amp on the Forte is pretty decent, for what it's worth.

I'm looking for the best possible setup I can get for around $200; if an external amp is truly going to make the difference, then I don't mind picking one up, I just assumed that given the Forte has a headphone amp, the money would be better spent on the cans.

Thanks.

May 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 31
I don't think that just because leakage isn't an issue should mean that you necessarily should go for a pair of open headphones.

I had a great experience with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50s back in the day. I still have them somewhere. Great for the price. I think you can find them for $100 - $150, depending on where you look.

May 9, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 31
The Auzentech Forte comes with a headphone amplifier rated up to 600-Ohms.
For something with full bass and full treble, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-ohm.

May 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 31
I thought about the M50s, but I figured I would go for a pair with a better soundstage this time. I've been happy with my ATHa500s, but when listening to some open cans, I feel like that's the way to go for me next.

The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-ohm certainly look like they'd be right for me, but I'm a little worried about reviews citing shrill high-ends.

Thanks for the input, any other advice is appreciated.

May 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 31
+1 for the Beyer DT990 250ohm. That's my favorite can right now. The only time I noticed any type of annoying highs was when I first purchased the can. After burning them in, they sound amazing with pretty much anything I can throw at them.

May 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 31
I'm in kind of the same situation as you (music/movies/gaming) and I've decided on Q701 with an Essence STX. I'm going to buy them as soon as I get a new computer, hopefully in the near future. I'm not sure if your soundcard has enough juice to amp them well enough though, and they are a tad over your budget. Just more options, I guess :p

May 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 31
I had the DT990 250 Ohm version and the shrilling highs are very overrated.  The only earphone that had shrilling highs that I've tested were the RE-ZERO.  Every other headphone like the Grado's, etc I felt the highs weren't shrilling but very nice.  The DT990 250 Ohm are actually very easy to drive.  I used my Fiio E-10 with them and they provided amazing sound.  I suggest selling your headphones and sound card and get the Fiio E-10 and the DT990.  Very nice setup for pretty cheap.  The DT880's might be better for gaming though, I think they have a bigger soundstage.

May 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 31
Well the treble is less emphasized, but I think the bass is greater.  I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I've read about them but I do know they are better for gaming/soundstage.  The DT990 does everything right though, they are very nice.  $155 shipped is a stunning deal on them.

May 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #13 of 31
Well the treble is less emphasized, but I think the bass is greater.  I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I've read about them but I do know they are better for gaming/soundstage.  The DT990 does everything right though, they are very nice.  $155 shipped is a stunning deal on them.

Where is the place you're seeing them for 155 shipped? The cheapest I can find the dt880s are ~100 more than that, so if I can get the dt990s for 155, I think it might be worth it to just pull the trigger on them. At some point, the price difference becomes a factor.

Thanks for the input guys.

May 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #14 of 31
Well it was on Amazon.  There was a like new set for $155 shipped which is a stunning deal.  There are a few left there for $187 but I didn't read their descriptions.  Oh it was the DT990 250 Ohm version, not the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back