Open headphones for ambient, indie rock and low-fi
Jan 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

SenjStevo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've looked around and done my research but i'm still undecided and always open to other options.

I like post-rock bands like Hot Water Music and Sparta, who have raw vocals, plenty of distorted guitars, cymbals and driving drums.

I also like stuff like Sigur Rós, Gods speed and Explosions of the sky.

And finally "slow-core" stuff like Elliott Smith, Bedhead and Appleseed Cast.

I really want comfortable headphones which i can use in bed sitting up or lying down, i'm prepared to spend anywhere from $200-$400 and i'd probably like smooth highs.

I'm thinking about these phone so far:
Ergo 1/2
DT880
AK701
650/600

just because they seem to be popular choices around here. Well maybe not the Ergo
smily_headphones1.gif
I like my 595s but they seem to lack life, maybe they are a bit layed back, or maybe i've just got to amp them properly.

Cheers for any advice.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 29
i haven't heard the ergo, but any of the other cans would work fine, it is more down to what sound signature you prefer. I'd go with the HD650 if bass guitar and kick drum is important, but I think you'd likely be happy with any of the three if you can get over their flaws.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 29
The only headphone from that list that I would consider for your music is the Ergo. DT880 would be good for the louder post-rock but not the other stuff, K701 is alright but a bit sterile with almost all this music, and the senns will drop the ball exactly where the DT880 does well. The Ergo on the other hand is reputed to be able to outperform all of the other options, and its float frame will make it the only one that can handle the extremely wide soundstage requirements of bands like Sigur Ros or Godspeed. The only thing it lacks is a little deep bass, but this wouldn't be an issue with any of your music.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 29
I'm not sure about the best cans for ambient and indie rock, but for lo-fi, I'd recommend listening from the oldest, crappiest boom-box you can find. Failing that, use your laptop speakers!

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elliott Smith and The Appleseed Cast sounds nice on my Grado SR-60s.

In my understanding lo-fi is something like Bonobo, and I completely don't understand the need of huge soundstage for such music. The presentation should be intimate, close and alluring, so that's why I agree with the SR60 recommendation.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 29
I agree. Elliott Smith on my SR80s, as I consistently post in other threads.

Man, I seem to be constantly looking for an excuse to plug this combo of music<->headphone.

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 29
Thanks for all the help people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only headphone from that list that I would consider for your music is the Ergo. DT880 would be good for the louder post-rock but not the other stuff, K701 is alright but a bit sterile with almost all this music, and the senns will drop the ball exactly where the DT880 does well. The Ergo on the other hand is reputed to be able to outperform all of the other options, and its float frame will make it the only one that can handle the extremely wide soundstage requirements of bands like Sigur Ros or Godspeed. The only thing it lacks is a little deep bass, but this wouldn't be an issue with any of your music.

I'd love to get the Ergo 2 but it's proving hard to find second hand one so i would be forced to spend £200 on a headphone that i havn't heard, which in my book isn't ideal! Are there any other options that arn't on my list?

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 29
no ad2000 recommendation??? thats the first thing that comes to mind with your music genres. alternative like bloc party and the shins are awesome with these while electronica is alive. Listening to dream dance is evil. I feel like i'm in ibiza

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my understanding lo-fi is something like Bonobo, and I completely don't understand the need of huge soundstage for such music. The presentation should be intimate, close and alluring, so that's why I agree with the SR60 recommendation.

Collapsed soundstage does not equal intimate. The most intimate, close and alluring sound I've heard came from headphones with a huge soundstage, my old PMB100 orthodynamic floats. That said, soundstage is more necessary for some things than for others; I was recommending it specifically for the Sigur Ros and Godspeed. Heck, the former are one of the few bands I can barely stand to listen to on headphones, because room-filling speakers are really necessary to bring out their sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenjStevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to get the Ergo 2 but it's proving hard to find second hand one so i would be forced to spend £200 on a headphone that i havn't heard, which in my book isn't ideal! Are there any other options that arn't on my list?

You might also be able to find a pair of original Jecklin Float 2, which are maybe the warmest and rockingest floats ever made. (There have been at least 3 Jecklin, 5 PMB/MB Quart, and 3 Ergo floats made according to Joerg Jecklin's ideas for a float frame. All but the Ergos were actually designed by himm, at least the frames.)

Otherwise, hmm. What do you have for source and amp? You'll need decent ones for most of the options already on the table, and for all the ones I can think of adding to it. One easy option that would satisfy everything but the soundstagey stuff is indeed, as has been noted, Grado. Since you're in the UK and looking at a high-ish price range, the one to go for would be an Alessandro MS-2i, $300 shipped direct from Alessandro. Something that would probably cover all your needs is an AKG K340, though to avoid the crazy used prices I suggest sweet-talking somebody on ebay.de to ship them to you; it'd save you $150 off current US prices for a stock K340. Otherwise, there are some great options in vintage orthodynamics, but you'd have to become an ortho junkie to navigate that weird realm. If you like electrostatic sound, a final grandly good option would be a Stax SR-5 or SR-3 with transformer box, which would probably run you about 100 pounds and to my ears at least beat the pants off anything mentioned in this thread so far. Can you tell from my recommendations that I prefer vintage headphones to new ones?

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 29
sr80's ftw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back