Open headphones for a drummer?
Apr 17, 2003 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
Looking for suggestions for an open set of cans that have a nice bass response for a friend who is a drummer. He plays with a roll-on electronic drum set and uses headphones as a monitoring system.

Price range is $100-$150 new or used. Overall sound quality and bass response are the main criteria.

I'm thinking Beyer cans may fit the description, but obviously not DT770's as they are closed.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
Looking for suggestions for an open set of cans that have a nice bass response for a friend who is a drummer. He plays with a roll-on electronic drum set and uses headphones as a monitoring system.

Price range is $100-$150 new or used. Overall sound quality and bass response are the main criteria.

Maybe have him check out the Sennheiser 497. They're light and fit snugly, and sound pretty good. I got mine a while ago but now I think they are about $60.

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 8
The open Beyer DT 990 Pro might be worth a try. While it has an overgenerous upper bass, it reaches almost as deep as the DT 770 Pro. It has slightly less bass slam and impact, but makes up for it with a silkier treble. All things considered, I feel the 770 Pro is more musical and enjoyable, but the 990 Pro's performance is fairly close.

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 8
Grados?

Apr 17, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Maybe an AKG K240S?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 17, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Some Grado SR80s would be good.. But i'm worried that the bass response is more accurate on those cans, and may not be deep enough for a drummer.

Dare I go off the beaten path and mention a pair of PortaPros?
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Why open? The V6 would probably be good since they are monitoring headphones, but they are closed. They don't leak, but they don't block much noise at all. I'm a drummer, but I have an acoustic set, so I use them for playing along with music.

Apr 18, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 8
My first choice would be the DT250. He needs something stable, and I have found none better (except the Etys). They more muffle than isolate. Everything below about 1 khz goes right through.

Second choice would be Sen 580s or 600s. Why not indeed?

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back