Open? Closed? And what do I need?
Jan 2, 2005 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jackus

New Head-Fier
Hia there.

This is my first venture into the more higher range headphones, I would say, and firstly I want to say I am looking for something that will just be driven from my iPod mini, no amp.

I am currently using Sony EX71's, and the sound is, when they are inserted properly, good. However, thats just my problem. I don't take to putting the earpieces into my ears all the time, and the time it takes to do that. I often have to take my head/earphones off to talk to someone else, so they need to be easy to put on and take off.

So I'm looking for some over the head headphones. Now for what I will be using them for. I will, like I said before, be using them with my iPod, pwith MP3's ripped at 192kbps, if it makes any difference
smily_headphones1.gif
. I listen to rock, light and medium, and indie music. I will be using them in relatively loud places, in the car with two sisters, and on the bus occasionally. I will use them while lying in bed, on doing work, or while I'm on the computer a lot too though.

So, with all that in mind, do I need a pair of closed or open headphones?

I was firstly considering closed, and the Sen 280 pros, but reading around here, they appear not to be loved that much.

Any suggestions as to the headphones for me? I am willing to spend $150/£75 max, and they need to be available to ship to the UK, or in the UK in the first place.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your replies!
icon10.gif

-Jack.

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 22
wearing outside..means closed..tough one. Grados are off the list since sound leak in (especially leaking in) and leak out.. A500? too big (IMO).. HD280? maybe..if you want to look dorky..or maybe one of the closed AKGs...

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 22
To save me typing, look at the glossary on my website.

A500s aren't portable enough for the range of places you've listed, and with what you've said i'd only go with canal phones. Check out the Ety 6i's.

If you're set on full sized headphones, you'll want closed circumaural. Senn 280s are ok, also consider the Sony V6. I can't help much with portable cans in this price range though. Hope that helps.

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 22
Thanks.

What are the bigger ones? In the car, I will be a passenger, so not that much moving, I'm not sure about buses. What could I get it I were to go bigger? In my price range that is...

Jack.

Jan 2, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 22
Well, for ease of taking them off, I would suggest (for having used them for almost a year) the sony streetstyle headphones, they are very easy to talk with.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...acc_Headphones

The second to last one on that page is the one I had, and it worked splendidly for talking. The sound, for me, was more than enough, but they weren't easy to take with you. A folding design (as with the first one) could change that.

(I'm from holland, but the USA site has a lot more info than the UK site)

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 22
Sony streetstyle? I actually will admit that I have a few pairs of these...but I cant even listen to them anymore...they just don't sound very good at all compared to anything else.

Get in-ear phones and if not those....I'll recommend something most people wont like...but the B&Os are an ok second small out of ear option. Someone was selling them in the buy/sell/trade for 80 or something which is a decent price. Audiophiles dont like them but for your use they will be a big upgrade over some Sony's (granted at 4 times the price) and will be highly portable.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin14m
Sony streetstyle? I actually will admit that I have a few pairs of these...but I cant even listen to them anymore...they just don't sound very good at all compared to anything else.

Get in-ear phones and if not those....I'll recommend something most people wont like...but the B&Os are an ok second small out of ear option. Someone was selling them in the buy/sell/trade for 80 or something which is a decent price. Audiophiles dont like them but for your use they will be a big upgrade over some Sony's (granted at 4 times the price) and will be highly portable.

The higher end models can't be too bad, although indeed the one I have is very, very bad for sound (I listened to it)

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackus
Thanks.

What are the bigger ones? In the car, I will be a passenger, so not that much moving, I'm not sure about buses. What could I get it I were to go bigger? In my price range that is...

Jack.

For portable use canal phones are going to be your best bet by far. Etymotic ER6i, or their higher end models. Check out their website, http://etymotic.com

I'd not bother with sony street styles, they're completely wrong for you needs, and though i've never used any i'd put money on them sounding awful.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 22
Ok. I don't think I will go for the sony street styles.

If I go with the er6i's, or er6's, then will they be more comfortable than my sonys? Will they have significantly better sound? And etymotic rather than Shure?

Thanks.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackus
Ok. I don't think I will go for the sony street styles.

If I go with the er6i's, or er6's, then will they be more comfortable than my sonys? Will they have significantly better sound? And etymotic rather than Shure?

Thanks.

The Sonys are very comfortable, you can use them straight out of the box. Isolating canal phones put more pressure on the inside of your ear canal, and take longer to get used to. After a few weeks you should fine them resonably comfortable, especially if you use the foamies.

Ety vs Shure is a personal preference thing - I like Etys, others like Shures. Have a bit of a search and read around here to get an idea - it's like a religious war, Mac vs Windows, etc.

Jan 3, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
For portable use canal phones are going to be your best bet by far. Etymotic ER6i, or their higher end models. Check out their website, http://etymotic.com

IMHO the Etys are much harder to put on and take off than the EX71 (which are the most comfy and "easy to use" headphones that I've used anyway). Especially when the ER6i (triflange) tips sometimes fall off. I agree though that the ER6i's sound better than the Sonys even with my tin ears.

If your budget would be a bit higher I would mention the Sennheiser HD25-1. They seem to be liked here.

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by quke
If your budget would be a bit higher I would mention the Sennheiser HD25-1. They seem to be liked here.

Ant the HD25Sp-1? They are in the budget. They are closed, isolating, comfortable enough (even if they are supra-aural) and good punchy sounding. But I don't know how they compare with the HD25.

Andrea

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 22
hey guys, he said, he would take them off an on often. That, doesn't include any canalphones IMO. If you don't mind the looks, get some medium sized closed phones - AKG K271S, Beyerdynamic DT250-80, Sennheiser HD25 (SP), Ultrasone HFI550. Ultrasones and the rest have distributors in UK. But if I was you I would wait for some sweet deal on the Head-Fi "For sale" forum. (You are in UK though). Meier audio - http://www.meier-audio.de/ ships worldwide with shipping cost included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back