Open Classical Music Headphones
May 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #31 of 59
Quote:
I think it handles bass the best out of the 650/701/880 triumvirate because the bass is staged properly and stays very clear of other instruments while conveying pitch and texture. The bass is really one of my favorite things about the DT 880's presentation. It's not always the most precise but it never obfuscates other elements in the piece.

The Q701 doesn't blend bass into other instruments either, but its bass is much less full and not as satisfying. It's fairly light due to a lack of sub-bass. The DT 880 manages to avoid being bass-light while not being overbearing or muddy at all -- the bass just hits the spot. Cello and organs sound great compared to how they come off on the Q701.

Great... It seems like a brilliant option for the OP.

I would therefore go for DT880 (600ohm version) along with desktop O2 w/ 1x and 2.5x gain, RCA inputs and 1/4 headphone out + a better transformer (15 - 20v output, current does not matter that much). Current buffer mod is not needed for DT880.

May 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #32 of 59
I'm not sure a U shaped can is what OP is looking for, being a cello player... timbre and tone is important, I think.
DT880 does have it's bass though. 

May 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #34 of 59
May 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #35 of 59
Denon's are V shaped 
size]

I've owned DT880 600 in the past and I found them U shaped, not sharply, but U shaped. Cello ranges from the bass (not sub bass) region into the high mids. You want a pair of headphones that can play flat there for correct tone and timbre. DT880 sharpish highs to some ears will not damage that experience, though.

I'm not anti-DT880 btw, as I plan on getting another pair sometime in the future again. For classical and cello in particular there are other options as I stated already.

May 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #37 of 59
Thx for that pic 3X0. It pretty much goes into what I'm talking about.

May 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:
Denon's are V shaped 
size]

I've owned DT880 600 in the past and I found them U shaped, not sharply, but U shaped. Cello ranges from the bass (not sub bass) region into the high mids. You want a pair of headphones that can play flat there for correct tone and timbre. DT880 sharpish highs to some ears will not damage that experience, though.

I'm not anti-DT880 btw, as I plan on getting another pair sometime in the future again. For classical and cello in particular there are other options as I stated already.

It's good to provide different opinions... I know that DT880 do not have perfect highs but I thought that for classical music, it could be alright. It's hard to get a perfect headphone at that price =(

Quote:

Hmm, I should've clarified that the Q701s start rolling off sharply below 90-100Hz or so..

Great image, thanks! It's kind of sad the OP cannot just go for HD800... Do they even have any flaw? Definitely not IMHO!
redface.gif

May 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #39 of 59
How does hd600 fare vs 880?

May 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #40 of 59
DT880 are great all rounders as many others are, it's just a matter a personal preference. I just feel the OP needs 1 (one) pair of cans for a specific role. DT660 are great budget cans for classical and would do strings very nicely. AKGs 500 or even 600 series are also very good for the purpose but out of production which poses other challenges... 240/241... loads of options without breaking the bank.

As for HD800 just listen to a big orchestra in a large room or a small ensemble in a closed environment and you will find a flaw 
size]

May 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:
How does hd600 fare vs 880?

Loads of threads on the subject. For me HD600 are just one of those magical headphones that only get better as you put in more source and amp quality into them, not DT880. At some point down the road they're done. HD600 are neutral and quite flatish. DT880 dig deeper in the bass but lose the control at some point; they have more extended highs, bright maybe, but I love treble. HD600 mids are excellent and provide much more detail than DT880 can ever hope for. DT880 are more engaging.

Let's try and not highjack OPs thread. He need his classical shot 
size]

May 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #42 of 59
Quote:
Loads of threads on the subject. For me HD600 are just one of those magical headphones that only get better as you put in more source and amp quality into them, not DT880. At some point down the road they're done. HD600 are neutral and quite flatish. DT880 dig deeper in the bass but lose the control at some point; they have more extended highs, bright maybe, but I love treble. HD600 mids are excellent and provide much more detail than DT880 can ever hope for. DT880 are more engaging.

Let's try and not highjack OPs thread. He need his classical shot 
size]

Maybe the question was "how HD600 work with classical in comparison to DT880"... :)

May 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Maybe the question was "how HD600 work with classical in comparison to DT880"... :)

Let's just say that I went through the entire Living Presence box with HD600 more than once. With DT880 I'd have to be more selective.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #44 of 59
Hey thanks for all the replies, will come in handy in the future. Right now, between these headphones for purely classical music:

K601
AD900X
K501

From least expensive to most.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #45 of 59
Quote:
I also like the DT880 with classical, but the op stipulated that they wanted larger soundstage. 

DT880 : Bright, average size soundstage, soft sounding (but highly detailed), light on bass.

K701 : Huge soundstage, very neutral and balanced, Bass matches treble. 

The DT880 were the only headphone that I've had to use and equaliser to calm down the treble with any SS amp I used. I'm not saying they aren't very good headphones. But a transparent amp such as the O2 is not going do them many favours. I would recommend a LD mkIII or similar for the DT880's :) 

Interesting comments, Lug. The DT880 is certainly bright, and I wouldn't generally recommend it with a headphone amp (as opposed to an integrated) unless you have some way to EQ. But once that top is rounded off a little the 880 is an incredible neutral and open phone that just sounds (to these old ears anyway) right, in a way I haven't heard from any other phone, not the HD650, the HE-500 or even the LCD-2 Rev1.

Not sure what you mean by "soft sounding". If I had to pick a phone I wouldn't describe as  "soft sounding" it'd be the 880. Unless of course you mean smooth. Also I can't agree that it's light on bass; it sounds just right in that area, with no lack and no exaggeration. Problem here is that not only do we all hear differently and have different equipment, but Beyer offer 3--count them, 3--different 880s, making things really complicated. And not just 3 impedances: the Pro, which I have, has a much higher clamping force and a different lead. Given all that, it's no wonder there are so many conflicting views on this phone.

Still, for me any 880 is better than no 880. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back