Open-Backed SRH840 Alternative
Sep 6, 2009 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

peli_kan

100+ Head-Fier
If only the Shure SRH840 were open backed, complete with a larger soundstage, less heat discomfort, and faster response they would be perfect in my book. Is there any headphone that can serve in this way?

-less than $500
-circumaural
-open backed
-easily driven unamped
-flat frequency response

From another direction, if only the AKG K701/K702 were more easily driven I'd be all over them. I already own the Head Direct RE0 and am looking for complementary full-sized headphones with airiness and large soundstage, while retaining flat frequency response, clarity, and speed.

I am considering modded Grados with circumaural C-pads or with the GS-1000 pad with spacer mod, but that would be an imperfect solution (lots of legwork, less than ideal build quality, humps in its freq-response).

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 9
I've found the AD700 and AD900 to be possible choices, but I don't think they approach the K701 in terms of SQ. Are there any others for me to consider?

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 9
I have had the SRH840 and the AD700. The AD700 lacked low end. So I dont recommend if you want atleast SRH840 bass levels.

I just got the HD595, initial impressions are better than the AD700 (HD595 = 80% more expensive).

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 9
What's your budget? FWIR, you could consider a low-impedance DT 880/990 or an ATH-AD900. Lots of information to be found... Good luck in your search!

On the other hand, I have the K 702 and if you look around, there are people who find it perfectly acceptable driven directly out of a laptop or an MP3 player, including me. I plan to build a much more capable system around it within the next year or two, but as of now, I'm already very happy with it.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget? FWIR, you could consider a low-impedance DT 880/990 or an ATH-AD900. Lots of information to be found... Good luck in your search!

On the other hand, I have the K 702 and if you look around, there are people who find it perfectly acceptable driven directly out of a laptop or an MP3 player, including me. I plan to build a much more capable system around it within the next year or two, but as of now, I'm already very happy with it.

I've edited my first post to include my price limit, though of course I'd like to spend less. I will likely be able to get a top notch amp for cheap (I have a relative who distributes hi-fi equipment) so at least that component would be a non-issue.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 9
Hmm, maybe a Sennheiser can like HD580/HD600 will be most similar to the Shures with the same laid back, smooth sound. Audio Technica open cans apparently have a very different sound sig with less bass and more treble. Beyer DT880s are brighter.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 9
I can't really think of anything that fits this bill well. Among the various open headphones, Senns probably have a sound close to what you're looking for, but aren't particularly well-known for being easy to drive. K701s are probably brighter than you want; K601s may have a sound signature you like, but again are reasonably hard to drive. Grados are easy to drive, but aren't particularly smooth - they tend to be bright and energetic, with a relatively small soundstage. The lower-end ATs (AD700/900) are open-backed and supposed to be easy to drive, but are also known to be fairly bass-light and may not play in the same league as the other headphones we're talking about in terms of refinement. Denons are all closed-back, Ultrasones are predominantly closed-back and not known for being particularly smooth.

Unless I'm missing something, you're probably going to have to make some serious compromises here, which could mean learning to live with the Shures, adapting to something open and easy to drive with a fairly different sound signature than what you like about the Shures, or upgrading the equipment you're using to drive your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back