Open backed headphones vs IEM's
Jun 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

steve1979

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I already own a pair of Westone UM3x in ear monitor's which I use for portable purposes but have been been considering getting a pair of quality open backed headphones for home use.   The headphones I'm considering are Sennheiser HD650 or a modded HD558 and was wondering how they would compare to my Westone's.

For the purpose of headphone amp and DAC I'll be using a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver which will be fed 320kbps MP3's via a digital optical cable from a PC.

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 2
Well Headphones vs IEMs is what you want your ears to feel like.

I like my over ear headphones because I can take them off and on without a problem. Iem's you have to stuff in your ears to listen.

I've heard that Westones are a lot like Senn (correct me please) and they might be a good change for you.

HD650 are great all around headphones and well worth thier price

HD558 are different. Why go for modded? Order 598 off JR if you call and get them for $180. I did, waiting for shipping...... The difference between the HD558 and HD598 is the design, the color, some wood on the 598, and a piece of tape. this is that you're thinking of modding correct? People say if you remove the tape they sound the same, but after a while people can hear the differences between the two and like the HD598 better.

Get the Hd598, call and order from JR for $180 and then save the money you would of spent on the HD650 and get a Fiio E7+E9 combo. Don't get me wrong, I use a Sony Receiver to my computer the same way you have it set up as amp. But getting a true amp would be best. Then you have a portable amp and a desktop amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back