Open backed can...budget $1200
Dec 7, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #16 of 26
If you want to go used, the price of the HFM HEX V2 has dropped due to the HFM and MD over saturation of the market. There are two versions, one that's more plastic, and one that is more metal. I've seen them as low as $675. You could also snag a used ZMF or MrSpeakers, which I don't know well enough to point out which one.

I now know 4 owners of 7 HFM cans and none have reported all these QC issues I keep reading about. Maybe we are lucky...

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #17 of 26
Best you can do with this budget and your sound/music preference is a used Stax 007!

I know, I know ... you need an amp too ... but for a start you can go cheap ... it's not perfect but still better than anything else in this price range (in my personal opinion after all ...)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #18 of 26
For those recommending the Focal Clears, Do you have a dac/amp recommendation that pairs well with them? I’m considering a Clears/Mojo combo.

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #19 of 26
With my Clear, I'm using a Nuprime DAC9 & Schiit Jot. Nice to my ears.

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 26
If you want to go used, the price of the HFM HEX V2 has dropped due to the HFM and MD over saturation of the market. There are two versions, one that's more plastic, and one that is more metal. I've seen them as low as $675. You could also snag a used ZMF or MrSpeakers, which I don't know well enough to point out which one.

I now know 4 owners of 7 HFM cans and none have reported all these QC issues I keep reading about. Maybe we are lucky...
I don’t mind at all going with lightly used gear. I’ve just sold a heap of mid range stuff to make room for a nice source and headphones.

Where are used HEK v2 generally advertised?

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 26
I don’t mind at all going with lightly used gear. I’ve just sold a heap of mid range stuff to make room for a nice source and headphones.

Here, ebay... see hifishark too, good fishing.

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #22 of 26
For those recommending the Focal Clears, Do you have a dac/amp recommendation that pairs well with them? I’m considering a Clears/Mojo combo.

Consider posting this on the thread for the Focal Clear: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/

From what I can tell out of a quick Google search, the HEK used will be a stretch of budget for sure. I see them marked from about $1500 up (US dollars).

The Focal Clear is a decent suggestion if you want a more neutral can, but it can edge ever so slightly towards being bright (and I really mean VERY slightly). Obviously, depending on the other gear it might gain some warmth.

While I do stand behind my suggestion of the MrSpeakers AFO, the Audeze LCD-2C is a really interesting counterpart to the AFO and is tilted slightly warm (I haven't heard it personally, but I did hear the 2016 LCD-2 and as far as I know both headphones use the same driver).

Don't discount Oppo heapdhones either. I heard the PM-1 and while my notes are probably really inaccurate since it was a loud environment, I really liked what I heard (check out InnerFidelity's review of the PM-1).

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 26
Consider posting this on the thread for the Focal Clear: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/

From what I can tell out of a quick Google search, the HEK used will be a stretch of budget for sure. I see them marked from about $1500 up (US dollars).

The Focal Clear is a decent suggestion if you want a more neutral can, but it can edge ever so slightly towards being bright (and I really mean VERY slightly). Obviously, depending on the other gear it might gain some warmth.

While I do stand behind my suggestion of the MrSpeakers AFO, the Audeze LCD-2C is a really interesting counterpart to the AFO and is tilted slightly warm (I haven't heard it personally, but I did hear the 2016 LCD-2 and as far as I know both headphones use the same driver).

Don't discount Oppo heapdhones either. I heard the PM-1 and while my notes are probably really inaccurate since it was a loud environment, I really liked what I heard (check out InnerFidelity's review of the PM-1).
I’ve taken a punt on a like-new AFO off eBay for under half my budget. I might see if I can find a used ZMF at some point too. They do look pretty special.

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 26
I recommend the Focal Clear, I find that you don't need a powerful source/amp to drive it, sound signature is neutral but engaging. Treble is enough to hear the details without sounding bright or harsh/sibilance which I am sensitive to. I usually pair up the Clear with the iFi xDSD and it sounds excellent, so good that I often end up using this over my STAX setup.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #25 of 26

BTW, I was talking HEX V2 - not HEK V2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back