Open Back HP's without sacrificing too much bass. Companion to M50's.
Sep 2, 2018 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LNuneek

500+ Head-Fier
I have been a long time user of the ATH-M50's but I'm looking for something different.

I'd like to experience my music with an expansive sound stage, good imaging, clarity throughout the spectrum, and good bass.

I'm looking to spend below $300.

I'm not a fan of headphones with high and mids peaks.

Don't want a headphone that sounds sluggish if that makes sense.

Would really prefer a headphone that comes with velour ear pads and velour headband (really just not leather or pleather padding) as well.

It would be used strictly at home with a Behringer UMC 404 HD audio interface.

Genres would mostly be Hip Hop, Soul, Jazz, Prog & Psych Rock.

What are the headphones I'm looking at Head-Fi?

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Maybe jump on the HD 58X train. Even if they don't scratch your itch, you can sell them without losing too much money.
Are they perfect - no, but I believe you would be hard pressed to find a better open back under three bills. They have good clarity, imaging and bass imo. I wouldn't call the Soundstage expansive, but it's not bad. My hifiman edition s seems to have a wider stage, but it's less accurate and has less bass. Always a compromise or two to be made. My 58X is here to stay. Just a great can, and by far the best thing I've heard for 150 bucks

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Philips Fidelio X2 is probably what you want. It is known as one of the bassiest open headphones in that price range.

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 4
I have been a long time user of the ATH-M50's but I'm looking for something different.

I'd like to experience my music with an expansive sound stage, good imaging, clarity throughout the spectrum, and good bass.

I'm looking to spend below $300.

I'm not a fan of headphones with high and mids peaks.

Don't want a headphone that sounds sluggish if that makes sense.

That's a really tall order for $300.

First off it's hard to get an expansive soundstage when the drivers are right next to the ears, much less get the drivers to have a response all the way down to 20hz without dropping below where 1000hz is, and you want that boosted. Otherwise there's the HE400i.

Boosted but compressed soundstage, there's the HD6XX.

If you save up you can just get the LCD-2C. If the bass isn't enough planars can take a bit more bass boost before distorting unless your amp clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back