Open-Back headphones with bass
Mar 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #76 of 86
"Thick" bass to me means poor bass detail and texture. Very good bass should be clean and well-detailed with a fast response. Very good bass with bass emphasis in a bass heavy headphone can have powerful impact, but it's not thick to me. So I'm not sure what you are looking for. Are there any closed headphones that have the bass sound signature you are looking for?

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #77 of 86
A less muddy ATH-M50 bass. I guess by thick I just mean more low end rumble and probably a little slower decay. I like the MA900 bass but I prefer something that will rumble a little bit, not necessarily just hit hard and disappear. I don't want the bass to be poor quality though because I like being able to hear the individual instruments and notes, it makes the music more enjoyable for me. 

Idk, maybe a thick rumbly bass that also has good quality can't exist, but boy I wish it did. 

I guess if I had to put an exact preference on it, it would be rumble/thickness > quality > impact

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #78 of 86
Yes. Slower decay is less quality. Although faster decay does not have to mean less impact. It's the difference between having your whole body shoved, and having a powerful, clean kick to the chest. Which has more impact? :)

I'm a subwoofer enthusiast, and it's very common for people that have only heard say $400 budget home audio subs at BestBuy in audio setups to be initially disappointed in a sub with clean bass that is distortion free and and has a great transient response, but most soon learn that they like that better.

So don't give up on the idea that you might not like really good SQ bass. The MA900s are not a headphone for bass. The M50s are OK (good for the price), but not super impressive to me. You might find that if you can hear something with even better quality bass that you might like it :)

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #79 of 86
It's not just really impact I'm looking for, I'm wondering if any of the mid-fi open backs have a thick bass. After some listening it seems I like a thicker sound rather then an airy one. I do enjoy the large soundstage and the wonderful midrange of the MA900 however.

The Hifiman HE-400 does seem interesting because it's supposed to have a nice midrange, and the bass extends deep so I'm guessing it would sound thick? It's also at an affordable price point too. I'm worried about the highs though because my ears are slightly sensitive and I do listen to some newer pop and rap music also. (I ofc also listen to some acoustic and stuff like Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt too which is why I enjoy the soundstage). 

What about the K702 Annies also? They are a bit expensive for my liking but they seem comfortable, and based on reviews it seems their bass extends lower and some say it's got a thicker sound too it while not losing the large soundstage. That sounds perfect for my tastes, thickness with a nice soundstage still. I just wonder how well it would pair with me Fiio E17 because AKG's seem to be known to be a little bit tougher to amp to desired sound and at the price of an Annie, I probably wouldn't be upgraded to better amplification.

The HE-400 doesn't have a great midrange. Its upper mids are recessed which coupled with its deep and thick bass gives it a somewhat dark tonality. It's great for electronic music but there are better HPs for rendering realistic vocals and acoustic instruments.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #85 of 86
honestly bro i have the sennheiser hd558 and it sounds good with most of my rock and metal but occasionally some of the baser produced stuff causes the speakers to sound over worked amped or un amped i also have the voodoo m100 which are semi open kind of...i recommend the m100 because they are IMO perfectly tuned if you want more bass but they are semi open NOT full open...also i would look into the Grado sr80e i haven't heard them but iv read ALOT on here about how they work well with baser genres 

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #86 of 86
  honestly bro i have the sennheiser hd558 and it sounds good with most of my rock and metal but occasionally some of the baser produced stuff causes the speakers to sound over worked amped or un amped i also have the voodoo m100 which are semi open kind of...i recommend the m100 because they are IMO perfectly tuned if you want more bass but they are semi open NOT full open...also i would look into the Grado sr80e i haven't heard them but iv read ALOT on here about how they work well with baser genres 

ALSO the grade sr80e headphones are 32OHM which are great for iPhone or whatever you want but then ALSO sound extra good when amped so you can't lose with the grade OR the m100 NTM the grades are under $100...under priced if the rumors are true my friend 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back