Open-Back headphones with bass
Aug 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 86
Quote:
Ok, i'll say it for the 3rd or 4th time. I'm not looking for a "very bassy headphone". I'm just looking for a headphone thats slighty above neutral in the low end, not way over the top like a pair of Beats.

Perhaps the 650's would be a good choice if adequately amped. I perhaps never gave them a fair test.

But I know a lot of you guys on here only listen to the likes of classical and jazz. I'm the kind of person that listens to everything. I need the headphone to be able to handle anything I throw at it.

I'm just worried that the 650's might only be good enough for simplistic warm instrument pieces. I've heard that they're "not" a very "fast" headphone. If that's the case, then is it fair to assume that they'll struggle with more complex genres. Such as heavy metal, or trance?

I've yet to hear an open headphone with overwhelming bass.  I've heard many of the open ones that are renown for their bass, like DT990 and LCD2, and never is the bass too much.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #47 of 86
Quote:

I've yet to hear an open headphone with overwhelming bass.  I've heard many of the open ones that are renown for their bass, like DT990 and LCD2, and never is the bass too much.

I'm not looking for overwhelming bass!

I just want an open back design that's capable of delivering really low sub bass (not boomy mid-bass). Most open back headphones tend to roll off in the sub-bass region which I find annoying.

I've came across these HP200's by SoundMAGIC and this doesn't appear to be the case. Theres plenty of low and high extention with slightly forward mids, which I think will suite me well. They also look great and have fantasic build quality.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #48 of 86
Quote:
Ok, i'll say it for the 3rd or 4th time. I'm not looking for a "very bassy headphone". I'm just looking for a headphone thats slighty above neutral in the low end, not way over the top like a pair of Beats.

Perhaps the 650's would be a good choice if adequately amped. I perhaps never gave them a fair test.

But I know a lot of you guys on here only listen to the likes of classical and jazz. I'm the kind of person that listens to everything. I need the headphone to be able to handle anything I throw at it.

I'm just worried that the 650's might only be good enough for simplistic warm instrument pieces. I've heard that they're "not" a very "fast" headphone. If that's the case, then is it fair to assume that they'll struggle with more complex genres. Such as heavy metal, or trance?

http://www.last.fm/user/Langley65  - 1500 artists from all genres :) The taste on head-fi in general is actually pretty broad.

The Sennheisers are not "slow", but I'll be honest and say I've never heard a headphone that I would call slow. In my opinion there is Dynamic speed, and ortho/electrostat speed.. That's it.

I would love the name of a headphone that actually has slow drivers. I personally have not heard it.
Quote:
HD600, easier to drive than HD650. Bass level is perfect for my taste

They drive exactly the same. I have no idea where you heard this from, but I've A/B'd it.

FWIW, I prefer the hd600/580 sig too :) But, yeah.. They require the same rather minimal power.
Quote:

That was my experience with the 650's as well. Perhaps it just comes down to preference. But to me through the Fiio 17/E09K combo, the 650's seemed somewhat lacking. They seemed a little too laid back for my tastes. But that may well have been down to the DAC and AMP.

Apparently the 600's are considerably easier to drive, despite being 300ohms as well. They just don't have the same potential for upgrade as the 650's. Which I really don't care about.

They are not easier to drive. And many people, myself included, feel the hd600 sports a slightly more neutral/accurate sound signature.. Obviously we feel that the hd600 would actually have a better potential for "upgrade"

I'm gonna speak my final advice and get out of this thread:

Try to demo the hd650 and hd600/580 off a source and amp that you know is decent/clean. I think you might like one of them.

Best of luck,

Chris

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #49 of 86
Quote:

http://www.last.fm/user/Langley65  - 1500 artists from all genres :) The taste on head-fi in general is actually pretty broad.

The Sennheisers are not "slow", but I'll be honest and say I've never heard a headphone that I would call slow. In my opinion there is Dynamic speed, and ortho/electrostat speed.. That's it.

I would love the name of a headphone that actually has slow drivers. I personally have not heard it.
They drive exactly the same. I have no idea where you heard this from, but I've A/B'd it.

FWIW, I prefer the hd600/580 sig too :) But, yeah.. They require the same rather minimal power.

They are not easier to drive. And many people, myself included, feel the hd600 sports a slightly more neutral/accurate sound signature.. Obviously we feel that the hd600 would actually have a better potential for "upgrade"

I'm gonna speak my final advice and get out of this thread:

Try to demo the hd650 and hd600/580 off a source and amp that you know is decent/clean. I think you might like one of them.

Best of luck,

Chris

Sorry, but you're the first person i've ever came across to say that the HD650's run as easily as the 600's. That's not what i've heard from anybody else who has compared them.

I've also never heard anybody else say that the HD600's have greater upgrade potential. But I always hear that the HD650's are the one's to go for when considering high-end amp upgrades.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #50 of 86
Quote:

I'm not looking for overwhelming bass!

I just want an open back design that's capable of delivering really low sub bass (not boomy mid-bass). Most open back headphones tend to roll off in the sub-bass region which I find annoying.

I've came across these HP200's by SoundMAGIC and this doesn't appear to be the case. Theres plenty of low and high extention with slightly forward mids, which I think will suite me well. They also look great and have fantasic build quality.

Which is why I commented about the very issue.  I see no problem recommending X1.  Almost no open headphone is capable of really low sub-bass outside the planar magnetics btw.  

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #51 of 86
Quote:

Sorry, but you're the first person i've ever came across to say that the HD650's run as easily as the 600's. That's not what i've heard from anybody else who has compared them.

I've also never heard anybody else say that the HD600's have greater upgrade potential. But I always hear that the HD650's are the one's to go for when considering high-end amp upgrades.

He just might be the first person with actual sense that you've come across too.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

Just look at the power requirements and impedance curve of the too-- near identical.  In fact HD600 is slightly less efficient.  You need to stop believing in head-fi myths.  Anybody who says the HD650 is way harder to amp than the HD600 is either...

A: stupid
B: raging HD650 fanboy

And yes I've heard both the HD600 and 650 through different sources.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #52 of 86
Quote:

Which is why I commented about the very issue.  I see no problem recommending X1.  Almost no open headphone is capable of really low sub-bass outside the planar magnetics btw.  

Well according to the reviews i've read, the SoundMAGICs can pull it off. I find most open-back headphones to sound rather "thin". But apparently these headphones have plenty of low-end body, but still manage to maintain exceptional clarity and soundstage.

I think i'm going to take the plunge for them. I like their design. And the build quality is supposed to be above average for their price point.

Thanks for everybodies help.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #53 of 86
I cant say I've heard a lot of different headphones during my time in this hobby but of them all, my HE-400's by far have the best sub bass and they are very nice to listen to. Also not sure if this is true but they seem easier to drive than my Q701, I'm not sure if its just the way the Q701 sound or not, but to me, it seems as though my WA-6 can drive the HE-400s better than it can the Q701.

If you look at the FR of the HE-400s you will see they don't start to roll off till very low in the sub bass region.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #54 of 86
Quote:
I cant say I've heard a lot of different headphones during my time in this hobby but of them all, my HE-400's by far have the best sub bass and they are very nice to listen to. Also not sure if this is true but they seem easier to drive than my Q701, I'm not sure if its just the way the Q701 sound or not, but to me, it seems as though my WA-6 can drive the HE-400s better than it can the Q701.

If you look at the FR of the HE-400s you will see they don't start to roll off till very low in the sub bass region.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf

Thanks for the recommendations. And yep, ohm ratings don't always paint an accurate picture. The Q701's are around 62 ohms or something if I recall correctly. But you'd be forgiven for thinking that they were more like 600.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #55 of 86

There's a bit of a roll off below 20hz, although I doubt that would be an issue.
biggrin.gif

I notice theres a bit of a peak in the 1000hz region. I'm assuming that they're designed to make vocals more forward. (In a good way of course)

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #57 of 86
Quote:
Hey just keep in mind that most people who first go into this site sought after heavy bass then they adjust (some can't). With open headphone you got to be flexible and give up a little bit of bass and gain other quality. Give your ears a little bit of time to adjust and focus on other quality it offers.

With that being said:

Look into either the he400 or beyer dynamic dt990 250 ohms pretty good bass

If these don't do it for you you might want to look into closed

I second the Dt 990 Pro 250. You can get it for about $150 used! In Fact a balanced 600 ohm just sold for $125 here on head fi, so check out the For Sale thread here there, are some great deals! 

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #58 of 86
I second the Dt 990 Pro 250. You can get it for about $150 used! In Fact a balanced 600 ohm just sold for $125 here on head fi, so check out the For Sale thread here there, are some great deals! 

+1
And a new DT990 Pro 250 is only $163 on Amazon.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #59 of 86
Quote:
+1
And a new DT990 Pro 250 is only $163 on Amazon.

Man it's getting cheaper awesome. 

But seriously, buy this can and love it forever! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back