Open-back headphones and amp recommendations?
Mar 25, 2018 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hogcryat

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I currently own a TEAC UD-301 DAC and HD598, would like to upgrade.

I am relatively aware of Sennheiser headphones, having tried HD600, HD650, and HD660S so far, it seems that HD600 would suit my taste the best. Nevertheless, I would like to hear from you guys if there are any other decent choices, I have heard that AKG K701 and Beyerdynamic DT990/DT880 are also good choices, but I have no idea what do they sound like. As for other brands like Audio-Technica and Denon, Campfire etc, I am completely unaware of their product line, so I would especially like to hear your input about other brands.

As for the amp, I also have no idea at what price point would start to have actually decent products, but at least I know I would go for solid state amps as my song choices are quite diverse. I never really paid attention as HD598 and my IEM doesn't need a good amp. My budget would be at ~$500-$600 max, but I would much prefer if the price point is at $300 to $400 (or lower, but I would guess there is nothing down here). It would be nice if the amp has a balanced output, but I would guess it probably won't at my budget. So I would like to hear some recommendations so that I can narrow down my search. (One amp I am curious about is Massdrop's THX 798, I can't find reviews for it, but it does seem to have a balanced output and its specifications seems really good for the price)

As for my sound preference, most importantly I want punchy notes, especially the bass, the soundstage has to be big and open, although not as important, it would be very nice if the sound is airy, with good detail as well.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Audio-Technica's house sound is very different to Senn's. Tends to be mid forward and bright. Campfire don't have any open-backed HP's. They are mainly an IEM maker, with a single closed-back HP.

Consider the new planars... Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open, Audeze LCD-2C and HiFiMan Sundara.

As for SS amps, you can't go wrong with Schiit Magni 3 for single-ended. If you are keen on balanced, Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon is another to consider. I've not heard it but the reviews looks good, and hopefully Massdrop has overcome Cavalli's past QC issues.

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 11
Amp wise, Schiit Magni 1/2/3.
Headphone wise...
HD650 is punchy, but a small soundstage.
Fidelio X2 has a good soundstage, very punchy, though IMO not Too much of an upgrade from the HD598 overall experience wise.
HE400i is my favorite at that price, but the bass is definitely not prominent. Similar to HD598 bass quantity.
Sundara is $500, I got a defective one as many seem to be getting.
DT880 is a somewhat small upgrade imo, and will need an amp.
DT990 is a brighter/ more bassier version of the DT880
M1060 seems to be that headphone everyone's getting. I'm guessing they're very competent in all areas.

Big bass and big soundtage isn't too common at this price range. DT990, M1060, and DT880 are the closest to what you want.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 11
Amp wise, Schiit Magni 1/2/3.
Headphone wise...
HD650 is punchy, but a small soundstage.
Fidelio X2 has a good soundstage, very punchy, though IMO not Too much of an upgrade from the HD598 overall experience wise.
HE400i is my favorite at that price, but the bass is definitely not prominent. Similar to HD598 bass quantity.
DT880 is a somewhat small upgrade imo, and will need an amp.
DT990 is a brighter/ more bassier version of the DT880
M1060 seems to be that headphone everyone's getting. I'm guessing they're very competent in all areas.

Big bass and big soundtage isn't too common at this price range. DT990, M1060, and DT880 are the closest to what you want.
I think DT990's mids would be too recessed for me, I was not happy with my AKG N40 for a similar reason. I don't know about DT880 though.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 11
That's interesting to know. In the past, I've been wary of Hifiman because of reported QC problems. Guess I should temper my enthusiasm for the Sundara too.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 11
AKG K701 vs HD600. If the bass quantity is not required I would choose K701. It has a punchy bass but not very massive like on HD600. HD600 for my ears has not very good defined bass but massive. K701 has better sound stage more neutral sound character.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 11
Hifiman He400i is a great planar to start with, I love mine, and they’re relitively easy to drive. I’ll be moving to the he560 next as from reviews Iv heard they’re pretty much the sound signature I prefer and are one of the best headphones under 1000$...as far as amps, look at schiit. They great amps for what you pay for them and even their low budget offerings are great(and powerful)...and power is necessary with planar headphones...if you stay with the Sennheiser products get yourself a decent otl tube amp like the bottlehead crack, littledot mk3 or the schiit vallhalla. Sennheisers sound amazing through tubes.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 11
I think the X2 are a step up from the 598, but don't scale well with better amp/DAC like the hd600 will. HD600s known for being bass light, so you might want to look elsewhere for that. I'd say you'd be in the thx00, but it has the opposite of a big stage. The 400i (budgetary) and lcd2c (imo, better except maybe a little less mid-forward, if that's your thing) would be good, haven't heard the aeon flow open yet.

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 11
I think DT990's mids would be too recessed for me, I was not happy with my AKG N40 for a similar reason. I don't know about DT880 though.

Dt880 is petty much neutral, with a slight U to its sound sig. The bass isn't really boosted. Upper midrange is slightly recessed, upper treble is increased. Its pretty minor imo, but some people get triggered by Beyer treble.

HE400i is rediculously good. Pretty much as good as the HE560. Its bass though, while going deep (definitely deeper than the HD598) isn't prominent. Their soundstage is...planarey. The sounds themselves sound large in size, but the space isn't defined quite as well. I like them more than the DT880 because of their midrange though.

HD600 is good but I like the HE400i's midrange and bass extension more.

I was not impressed with the X2 at all.

Here's a little headphone tier list imo of course:

S:HD660(only auditioned), DT1990/Amiron (bright sharp), HE560(somewhat neutral)
A+:HE400i(similar to he560), Ath AD1000x(bright), M1060(i guess)
A:DT880(kinda bright/sharp), DT990(fun, u-shaped), Q/K70X ,HD600 (neutral), HD650 (warm)
B:HD598 (warm), Fidelio X2 (fun, ton of bass), SR225e (bright),

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 11
I agree with above, I love the 400i...the HD600 are a bit more detailed but less fun imo, if your into slow smooth music like jazz it’s hard to beat the HD600 with a nice otl tube amp...but for just about anything else the He400i is superior imo...it’s just such a fast and fun headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back