Open back headphone recommendations for a m40x user?
May 17, 2019 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GoompGoomp

New Head-Fier
Hello, I tried out the Philips SPH9500s and they sound great but my left ear doesn't sit right with those so now I'm looking for a new pair of open back headphones to try out and wanted to know if anyone could recommend me one.

For context, I've been bouncing around with different pairs of closed-back headphones and trying out the spectrum to find I like the sound of the ATH-M40X and after using most of them. Plus IEM: Advanced Sound Model 3.

I'm trying to avoid heavy treble and bass. Thank you for your time.

May 17, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 20
I haven't tried those specifically but just listed something that came to mind that was open, that I've owned and sounds great, and was somewhat in the price range of the SPH9500s, if you consider $160 new in that range :D

May 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks man, I'll do some more research on those. Have you tried any more Sennheiser headphones like the 599 or 598 sr? I've actually been wanting to try some of them but wanted a second opinion if possible.
The HD598 have a more neutral sound, which i think is great for long term listening, like when you game all night long.

May 17, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 20
have you used equalizer apo with the PEACE gui and used Oratory's curves? Really makes the 58x's shine!
I use Foobar2000 (w/WASAPI) and a NFB-11.28 or connect my Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube head amp to the line-output on the NFB-11.28.

May 17, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 20
I think AKG's K612 Pro is a phenomenal headphone that's worth your consideration.

They're somewhere around neutral, with the bass being down in level just a smidge, but extending very low. Treble is about where it should be, with no serious bumps or dips. Mid range is superb, with a great deal of body and detail to it.

Soundstage and imaging, to me, put them above the Sennheiser HD598. Soundstage is very large without feeling overly distant. Imaging presents a nice sense of a 3d space, with a particularly large center image. This combination of imaging and tonality make them well suited for basically all types of music, with maybe the exception of really bass-heavy stuff.

To me, this headphone is more of a competitor to the HD600 or HD650, despite being significantly cheaper at about $130 new.

May 17, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 20
I think AKG's K612 Pro is a phenomenal headphone that's worth your consideration.

They're somewhere around neutral, with the bass being down in level just a smidge, but extending very low. Treble is about where it should be, with no serious bumps or dips. Mid range is superb, with a great deal of body and detail to it.

Soundstage and imaging, to me, put them above the Sennheiser HD598. Soundstage is very large without feeling overly distant. Imaging presents a nice sense of a 3d space, with a particularly large center image. This combination of imaging and tonality make them well suited for basically all types of music, with maybe the exception of really bass-heavy stuff.

To me, this headphone is more of a competitor to the HD600 or HD650, despite being significantly cheaper at about $130 new.
Damn that is very convincing, that's actually something I struggled with my m40x and other headphones I demoed when trying every genre I could find when something wouldn't always sound as good,bass muddied or punched too hard,etc. Also that earcup size looks very attractive, my goddamn ears are picky little sluts, it took ZMF cowhides on my m40x to make it work. Do your ears touch the drivers inside at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back