Open-air 780s....or as close as I can get
May 24, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
So, finally got my 780s in 2 weeks ago, after waiting too bloody long to order them. Everyone was out of stock except Sweetwater (with whom I had a great experience), which made for a few rather perturbing minutes as I poked around before I found some in stock.

Great headphones overall. I do with the highs were just a tad sharper, and the bass was a little more powerful, but other than that, I like them a hell of a lot.

The only thing is....they're closed-air headphones. Great for work, great for the plane, but now the snake has bitten me and I need a set of open-air headphones. Not want, nor desire, nor "would like to have in the future," I bloody need a set of open-air. >.< And soon.

Being as I'm still rather new and the sheer number of threads boggles the mind, I figured I'd try the easy and cheap way first, and go from there. Open-air headphones, with the same general characteristics as the 780s, maybe a tad sharper highs, price $250 or less, will eventually be amped but not in the near future. They'll be running off a newer Audigy sound card in my box, so it won't be the junk onboard motherboard sound, at least.

Sort of thinking about going back to my original plan with the DT990s, buuuuuuut I don't know if there's something that would fit what I want better. Halp!

May 24, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Why not the 2500? Same house sound, open air design, can be had for less than $250.

May 24, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 7
or HFI2000 (not 2200 ule one) ? you can grab it < 200 USD, just look here:

Ultrasone HFI-2000 Headphones - eBay (item 230225183989 end time Jun-20-08 08:06:48 PDT)

biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Not to sound like an uneducated barbarian (I'm really not!), but what's "house sound"?

What're the differences in the 2500 Pro vs the HFI2000?

May 25, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 7
The term "house sound" simply refers to the tonal characteristics unique to a specific brand of headphones/speakers/etc. Grado is another brand famous for its unique sound signature. Since ultrasone has a house sound, in order to replicate the sound that you like coming out of your 780's. you'd want to stick within the same brand, because (as far as I know) there aren't many non-ultrasone phones that sound like the 780's.

As for your second question, I'm not that familiar with Ultrasone as a brand so I'll let someone else tackle that.

May 25, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, finally got my 780s in 2 weeks ago, after waiting too bloody long to order them. Everyone was out of stock except Sweetwater (with whom I had a great experience), which made for a few rather perturbing minutes as I poked around before I found some in stock.

Great headphones overall. I do with the highs were just a tad sharper, and the bass was a little more powerful, but other than that, I like them a hell of a lot.

The only thing is....they're closed-air headphones. Great for work, great for the plane, but now the snake has bitten me and I need a set of open-air headphones. Not want, nor desire, nor "would like to have in the future," I bloody need a set of open-air. >.< And soon.

Being as I'm still rather new and the sheer number of threads boggles the mind, I figured I'd try the easy and cheap way first, and go from there. Open-air headphones, with the same general characteristics as the 780s, maybe a tad sharper highs, price $250 or less, will eventually be amped but not in the near future. They'll be running off a newer Audigy sound card in my box, so it won't be the junk onboard motherboard sound, at least.

Sort of thinking about going back to my original plan with the DT990s, buuuuuuut I don't know if there's something that would fit what I want better. Halp!

I think the Grado SR-325i will be an open headphone closer to the stock HFI-780 than the PL2500.

The Proline 2500 are more laid back than HFI-780, and not so in your face. The 2500 highs are also smoother and more balanced (unless the 780 are re-cabled). Even when the HFI-780 are re-cabled, they are more upfront than the PL2500 which has a more open soundstage.

Having said that, I prefer the PL2500 over the SR-325i, but I prefer the RS-1 over all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back