OPAMPs for Auzen X-Fi Forte 7.1
Mar 27, 2010 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mescalamba

Head-Fier
So even if that soundcard is pretty good as stock, I would like to upgrade it a bit..

Any clues what exactly will OPAMPs do and which is best (best all-around .. not for just some type of music)?

Price doesnt matter..

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 15
There are many from Linear tech, analog devices, texas insturments and others.
What type of signature are you looking for?
There is really no best, just different flavors...

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 15
Well, those base ones are bit "muddy". Its not cause by headphones (cause even HD 555 can create quite clean sound, not mentioning AKG 701 or HD 650).

So something that will make music sound more "clear" than stock one.

Im probably going to keep HD 650 so some mid-high boost would be nice (as they are bit overbassed - hopefully cable change will remove that).

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mescalamba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, those base ones are bit "muddy". Its not cause by headphones (cause even HD 555 can create quite clean sound, not mentioning AKG 701 or HD 650).

So something that will make music sound more "clear" than stock one.

Im probably going to keep HD 650 so some mid-high boost would be nice (as they are bit overbassed - hopefully cable change will remove that).

Those are all the official units but there are many more units that you can use on these cards. I would suggest the dual LME49710HA, there are many of use using these opamps around here in out sources. Auzentech has started offering them for their cards.
They are in the same family as the stock opamps but a bit higher up the ladder for sound quality. They will add more clarity and detail and tame the mid bass while adding better control of the lower bass. I have pretty much every opamp on that list plus many,many more so if you have any question about the units let me know and I might be able to run a test for you and give you impressions. Out of the listed units from Auzen unit s that would give you what your after are possibly the OPA49710HA, AD797, AD8620 and the OPA637

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Many thanks for suggestion.

If I dont care about price paid, what would be best all-in-one OPAMP? (just want to squeeze as much is possible from that card, its separated solution as I will have DAC/AMP in other room for "real" listening)

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mescalamba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for suggestion.

If I dont care about price paid, what would be best all-in-one OPAMP? (just want to squeeze as much is possible from that card, its separated solution as I will have DAC/AMP in other room for "real" listening)

Just to be sure, are you using headphone output or line out with this card?

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 15
Aye, you are right.. I tought OPAMPs are for headphone output..

Kinda dont get their logic (Auzentechs).

Hmps, any way to use headphone and OPAMPs together on this audio card? Or shall I get newer one where one can upgrade every channel?

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 15
No, the design uses a fixed buffer opamp for the headphone output. The JRC4580 and while not a bad amp for the price their are definatley better ones out there.

The new one, I am guessing you are talking about the Bravura 7.1? Yes, that card has a seperate opamp for every output.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 15
Yes I tought that one.. Ill get it probably. Thanks for help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Well based on my testing it is a great card also. Has a similar sound quality to the Forte 7.1 stock but allows you to change opamps for all channels. Look in the Bravura 7.1 sneak peak thread and you can see some examples of some custom opamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back