Opamp and DAC Opinions and Recommendations
Dec 17, 2008 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TestSpecimen

100+ Head-Fier
I think this is probably the best part of head-fi to ask this question, as i'm sure there will be people here with enough experience with components such as opamps and DACs to make a recommendation.

I would also like to say that I have relatively little knowledge so would appreciate any helpful comments.

I would like to have your opinions on what you think are the best opamps and DACs currently available in component form. I'm aware that opamps add colour to sound and the choice of this component can change from person to person, but I want your OPINION on what you think is the best opamp and/or DAC currently available. If thats to hard then a top 3 will do!

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but do your best (or worst
tongue_smile.gif
)

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 10
There is so much information about these subjects, buried within the forums. I'd recommend using search and research. Also look into the forums at HeadWize - Breaking News and diyAudio.com - audio projects by fanatics, for fanatics .

This is a good starting page to read about op-amps:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

Other popular op-amps not discussed on Tangent's page are the THS4031 and LM4562. It's somewhere to start but there's no substitute for trying them out and it depends heavily on what you like to hear.

Sorry but I have no experience with DAC chips. I replaced some bog-standard NE5532 with AD825 for I/V conversion in my DAC recently, and they work very nicely.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 10
R2R dacs:
PCM1704 (Still in production and capable of 24/96)
PCM1702 (Slightly inferior to the 1704 and 63, but quite venerable)
PCM63 (Tied with the 1704.. basically better bass but slightly inferior at the top end and maybe mids)
AD1862
Phillips TDA1541 S2 (Double crown.. haven't heard this one yet but it's got a legendary rep.. I have some chips but have yet to have somethig built around them)

Improved grades in the other dac chips also is supposed to make a difference in sound aka K grade for the burr brown chips and J grade for the AD chip.

Delta Sigma chips:
AD1955
ESS Sabre DAC
Sure why not: AK4397.

In general I've been much happier with the R2R dacs of which only the 1704 is still in production but most everything is available to varying degrees. But I would like to hear the ESS Sabre perhaps in the Buffalo implementation though I hear it could be implemented much better.

Of course besides the chip... how they do I/V and what they use for filtering and of course the analogue output stage matters just as much or more.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Lots of useful information, i'll look into it a bit further.

Thanks

Mike

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 10
The best op-amp, actually the only one not sounding like op-amp is the AD797BRZ. I tried lots of them, including better series (BP/ACN8) of OPA627 and LT1028. This one is just in another league.

If you want discrete from Audio-GD, take the Sun v.2 and don't connect the ground wire. You'll get unique, analogue sound with lots of positive (solar?) energy.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have never met an op-amp sounding this way, so after yet short tests, this is another contender of going beyond the regular op-amp sound congestion.

Regarding the DACs - take the CS4397, CS4398 or something from Wolfson - WM8740, WM8741. The AD1955 is great but probably won't work without a microcontroller. They are voltage output type, so you can make it easier to get the signal out of it without deterioration. And don't belive people saying their internal I/V stage is op-amp based.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
R2R dacs:
PCM1704 (Still in production and capable of 24/96)

It's capable of 24/210k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back