Op Amps in Toronto
Jan 12, 2010 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shieldst

New Head-Fier
I'm building a CMoy pocket amp and the recommended amp is OPA2132. I can't find this anywhere in Canada. I was wondering if there was a dual channel amp that was equivalent to this that could be found locally in Toronto (so I don't have to order from the States). Do these amps come with sockets, or do I have to buy sockets separately? I'm new to DIY and this is my first project.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the sites.

I don't want to order from the States (Digikey's shipping warehouse is in the US, though they do ship to Canada).

I went to Sayal and no staff member knew a comparable amp - any suggestions? Active Electronics doesn't have the OPA2132.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 16
Digikey has a Canadian company - I'm from Toronto, I know.
wink.gif
They also have $8 flat-rate express shipping Canada-wide. Just make sure you go to digikey.ca
Newark also has a Canadian company, though I hated their service.

Sayal is nice, but really doesn't have much in terms of opamps. Active is great to visit for a HUGE selection of random junk and cheap parts, but again, not many opamps.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 16
Digikey used to have a warehouse in Winnipeg, but it closed and now all shipments come from the US. This happened at the same time as Mouser offered their Canadian site. Both ship without duty.

The local Active to me (Vic Park and Steeles) has gone downhill over the years. Sayal is good for certain things. I've had problems with transistors that I've picked up in the store.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digikey used to have a warehouse in Winnipeg, but it closed and now all shipments come from the US. This happened at the same time as Mouser offered their Canadian site. Both ship without duty.

So I can order from Digikey.ca without being charged duty? It's a shame that I have to pay $8 shipping on a part worth less than that...

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shieldst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can order from Digikey.ca without being charged duty? It's a shame that I have to pay $8 shipping on a part worth less than that...

The price at checkout is all inclusive at both ca.digikey.com and ca.mouser.com. Digikey has cheaper shipping than Mouser, but the cost of parts is a bit higher.

Have you found your volume pot locally? I ended up having to order that anyways, as Sayal and Active didn't have a stereo audio pot in stock. I'd consider that as well.

And yes, to answer your question in first post, you have to order sockets as well.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many opamps do you need? If I have an extra OPA2132, I'll toss one in the mail for you. Let me check at home.

I just need one - send me a PM if you have an extra one lying around. It would be much appreciated. Any spare sockets that fit it would be very helpful too.

cobaltmute:
I found a 6 pronged pot that looks like a volume knob. Would that work, or do I need it to be a 'stereo audio pot', like the one listed in the CMoy guide at tangentsoft.net (which is listed as "Volume control, Panasonic 10K, horizontal mount (EVJ-C20)")? I realize since this is my first project and I have no idea what's compatible with what, I should probably stick to the parts list - but I tried to source everything locally...which is turning out to be a bit of a hassle.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 16
There are two type of pot: logarithmic and linear. For audio use, we use logarithmic as the resistance curve on the pot matches the way are ear hears loud and soft sounds better.

So when looking for a pot, you are looking for something marked as stereo (or dual gang) with a log taper. Back when I was looking for my cmoy at Sayal, I could find something that matched both criteria and ended up making an order to Digikey just for the pot.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two type of pot: logarithmic and linear. For audio use, we use logarithmic as the resistance curve on the pot matches the way are ear hears loud and soft sounds better.

So when looking for a pot, you are looking for something marked as stereo (or dual gang) with a log taper. Back when I was looking for my cmoy at Sayal, I could find something that matched both criteria and ended up making an order to Digikey just for the pot.

I'm going to have to buy this from Digikey. And the opamp. Looks like I should have just had everything shipped from them in the first place. Thanks for the help.

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shieldst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just need one - send me a PM if you have an extra one lying around. It would be much appreciated. Any spare sockets that fit it would be very helpful too.

cobaltmute:
I found a 6 pronged pot that looks like a volume knob. Would that work, or do I need it to be a 'stereo audio pot', like the one listed in the CMoy guide at tangentsoft.net (which is listed as "Volume control, Panasonic 10K, horizontal mount (EVJ-C20)")? I realize since this is my first project and I have no idea what's compatible with what, I should probably stick to the parts list - but I tried to source everything locally...which is turning out to be a bit of a hassle.

I would take two op amps, if something goes wrong you have one more chance.

Stereo volume pot has 6 solder lugs. Mono volume pot has only 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back