Op-Amp for cmoy, which one is best?
Sep 8, 2005 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

peterpan188

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to build a small little cmoy amp. And i came up with 2 different op-amp that i want to use. The OPA2134 and 2227, which one would be a good choice for iPod and e3c and super.fi 5 pro that i use? Also, would having two separate chip (but same model) for each channel be a good improvement of the sound?

Thanks
Peter

Sep 8, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

which one would be a good choice for iPod and e3c and super.fi 5 pro that i use?

Neither.
wink.gif

The burr brown sonic signature is the last thing I would want with either of those phones

Quote:

would having two separate chip (but same model) for each channel be a good improvement of the sound?

Not necessarily

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
AD8397 seems like the opamp to use in a cmoy. single chip, does everything you need.

This opamp looks good on paper, but is very finicky to use. I am playing with this chip at the moment and am still grappling with stability and DC offset issues on a breadboard. At this point I would not recommend this chip to an inexperienced DIY'er making a cmoy-like amp on a protoboard.

Sep 10, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpan188
I am planning to build a small little cmoy amp. And i came up with 2 different op-amp that i want to use. The OPA2134 and 2227, which one would be a good choice for iPod and e3c and super.fi 5 pro that i use? Also, would having two separate chip (but same model) for each channel be a good improvement of the sound?

Thanks
Peter

I have 2132 and 2227 in Tangent CMoy design, and they are very very similar... you'd better choose one of them and smth else.

Sep 10, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpan188
I am planning to build a small little cmoy amp. And i came up with 2 different op-amp that i want to use. The OPA2134 and 2227, which one would be a good choice for iPod and e3c and super.fi 5 pro that i use?

Going by MisterX's opinion of your phones (I haven't heard them), AD8620 opamp might be more suited.

Quote:

Also, would having two separate chip (but same model) for each channel be a good improvement of the sound?

Depends on exactly what you end up doing with them. For example, the single-channel version of an AD8620 is AD8610, and if you used two of those AD8610 you would gain a "little" bit of current overall (should be enough that you could easily tell it played louder before distorting, but not necessarily a lot louder). Something more like an A47 amp, or A47-style would be the next whole step in that direction.

IMO, that doesn't improve the quality of the sound so much as it allows higher volume.

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
I have 2132 and 2227 in Tangent CMoy design, and they are very very similar... you'd better choose one of them and smth else.

Not to my ears...

The 2227 sounds cleaner and more "refined" but has rolled-off/attenuated highs (I can't hear cymbal crashes!). The 2132 doesn't attenuate the highs, so I prefer it more just for this reason. It sounds more upfront as well -- overall more fun sound.

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Not to my ears...

The 2227 sounds cleaner and more "refined" but has rolled-off/attenuated highs (I can't hear cymbal crashes!). The 2132 doesn't attenuate the highs, so I prefer it more just for this reason. It sounds more upfront as well -- overall more fun sound.

That might be true. I tested both against Nirvana Unplugged, and in my mid/high biased cans 2227 was smoother, with better bass.

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Not to my ears...

They may not sound identical, but relatively speaking these two are very close, many (most?) other opamps are more different, than these 2 are to each other.

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
They may not sound identical, but relatively speaking these two are very close, many (most?) other opamps are more different, than these 2 are to each other.

My ears are especially sensitive to treble so I tend to notice differences in the treble more
icon10.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 14
i like the lm6171 (or dual variant)

but just socket anything else, and swap em till your blue in the face.

this is a game where you can decide what is correct for you, and that may be what is wrong for everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back