Op amp for Asus Xonar DS
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
Op-amps are not a placebo

How do you know it for sure ? Can you prove it in a blind test ? If you just did the typical procedure of listening to the unmodified device first, then swapping the op amps (which takes some time, usually significantly longer than the <1s for which auditory memory is reliable), and then listening again, expecting to hear an improvement, then there is a fairly good chance that you were experiencing placebo.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
I can't say if bottlenecking is actually an issue here. The difference between SQ on the Xonar DS swappable op amps is in their tonal characteristics. This may or may not be related to data throughput and benchmarking type results. Give me ears over stats any day.

Of course, you are free to believe that it made an improvement, but I think it is still fair to point it out to others who did not decide yet that the difference might not be real, similarly to silver cables and other popular but questionable "upgrades".

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 26
How do you know it for sure ? Can you prove it in a blind test ? If you just did the typical procedure of listening to the unmodified device first, then swapping the op amps (which takes some time, usually significantly longer than the <1s for which auditory memory is reliable), and then listening again, expecting to hear an improvement, then there is a fairly good chance that you were experiencing placebo.

When ever I swap op-amps I spend a good time with them, Then when I tried another one of the common ones. I spend a good time with them too. I don't forget how they sound during that. Just like how I still know how the OPA2134 sound which annoys me when ever I used them. If you was to swap the op-amps on me I would tell right away, I hear changes in audio easier then most people. Unless you get dirty and use Two similar sounding op-amps. But Even then I still be able to tell when something is off.

But I never go i trying another op-amp thinking it better in my mind, because I don't know what to expect when I try a different one. You are welcome to be a op-amp dis-believer all you want as we will just have to agree to disagree.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Of course, you are free to believe that it made an improvement, but I think it is still fair to point it out to others who did not decide yet that the difference might not be real, similarly to silver cables and other popular but questionable "upgrades".

Mighty generous of you, pilgrim.

However, like my weird preference for wooden, rather than plastic, clarinets, I was actually able to tell the difference, and it was appreciable enough for me to go to the hassle of reinstalling the upgrade, and commit myself to print (sic) in offering my opinion that it was worthwhile. (I also assumed that nobody actually needed to be told that they had a choice...)

I also know when to quit, so I'll go with my questionably upgraded interconnects and speaker cables, and leave you with the freebie bell wire and earbuds that came in the box.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 26
i have to add that lme49720(min.120db) don't fit Xonar DS(108db), i've tryed it and i think i damaged my hearing by how bad sound was after all! But i just got MC33078n that i copied from beyerdynamic A1(999 dollar) which is min.80db,  typ.105db, and it sounds great! my ears feel good and i like sounds it delivers.

edit: opa2107 must be very good too.

edit2: well im tiered of MC33078N so installed opa2227pa and that one sounds big and sealed with much good bass and my mp3s sound bigger and richer and my soobwoofer goes louder. first i got scared of it but that just me
basshead.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #24 of 26
i got OPA2227PA and it's So fine. but i read NE5532 is very good already and is hard to improve and its cheap because its been made a long time.

OPA2227PA sounds big and sealed with much good bass and my mp3s sound bigger and richer and my soobwoofer goes louder. first i got scared of it but that just me
basshead.gif

(that was more
basshead.gif
than beats audio haha)

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #25 of 26
I couldn't find any non-Russian info on Google regarding the use the LME49990 op amp with the Xonar DS, so I decided to get one myself in the dual SOIC DIP8 form factor from frugalphile (product link) for use and testing with my own personal Xonar DS in the name of SCIENCE!

I did have a lengthy post typed up here about my impressions, but it turns out that I'm having audio issues with the right channel of my Monoprice IEMs.  But at the very least I can say that dual 49990 op amps on a DIP8 adapter do indeed work and sound just fine on my Xonar DS (and by association should also work on the Xonar DSX).

EDIT: In fact it may have been the higher-quality op amp that made me notice my imbalanced bass issue in the first place.

EDIT 2: According to this forum post, the dual LME49990 DIP8 op amp is a compatible drop-in replacement of the NE5532P (which was the stock op amp of my Xonar DS):
http://mail.audiokarma.net/forums/showthread.php?t=360210

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #26 of 26
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

On my Xonar DS I used the Burr-Brown OPA2134 and yes, you CAN hear a difference in the timbre and imaging. Female vocals come through with no edginess to the sound on my monitors and the low level detail is amazing for a sound card.

For a $3 op amp chip upgrade to a $45 DTS sound card, it's a steal. This combo sounds way better than many DVD players under $1000. Imagine that. :D

FYI - Digi-Key is the best source for the Burr-Brown op-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back