Ontario Semi-International Meet Thread
Jul 9, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #46 of 148
I only tried the smaller amp with the recabled K501 and the stock K-501, the modded version was a bit more fuller sounding. What kind of circuit is in the amp ? Mosfets ?

It was just quite detailed, punchy, warm, natural and organic with nice mids and great imaging, I slightly preferred the recabled K501 to the K701,DT880,HD580 and SR-325i. Excellent for jazz IMO.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #48 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve - do you have an extra pair of velours? (hint - check my sig)
~Renato

I'm trying to obtain some more. Patience will be needed for sure though. I can't believe you aquired some K340s, are they modded or stock?

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #49 of 148
I just wanted to say THANKS TO EVERYONE who made it out to the Toronto meet! It was a pleasure and I'm sure we're all in agreement that it was fabulous time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Much like Jay (philodox), I tend to do far more socializing at these larger meets than actual listening. Fortunately for me, I got to take home the McAlister EA-6 and SR-Gamma earspeakers!

Now for some pics of all the terrific people and their gear:
HeadFi_070707_01.jpg

HeadFi_070707_02.jpg

HeadFi_070707_03.jpg

HeadFi_070707_04.jpg

HeadFi_070707_05.jpg

With all the Grado fanboys present, it's nice to see an AKG lovin' gal!
HeadFi_070707_06.jpg

Ray eyeing Joe (Chesebert) with his beloved Sony R10
HeadFi_070707_07.jpg

Mr. Samuels does not appear all too impressed with the Sennheiser HD600.
wink.gif

HeadFi_070707_08.jpg

The other half of Ray Samuels Audio, the lovely Grace Samuels
HeadFi_070707_09.jpg

A show stopper combo no doubt
HeadFi_070707_10.jpg

The most photographed piece of gear present?
HeadFi_070707_11.jpg

French-Canadian connection Grado's out in force!
HeadFi_070707_12.jpg

Grado + Melos goodness
HeadFi_070707_13.jpg

Something's going on here, Julien (Killercrush) sporting bagel pads on a pair of SR100?
HeadFi_070707_14.jpg

While Oriel (omendelovitz) with flats on a pair of GS1000?
HeadFi_070707_15.jpg

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #50 of 148
Hey, whatcha reading Christine?
HeadFi_070707_16.jpg

The happy couple, Jacob (soloz2) and his wife Christine
HeadFi_070707_17.jpg

Jacob's (soloz2) SinglePower PPX3 rig
HeadFi_070707_18.jpg

A lonely Thorens TD166 turntable
HeadFi_070707_19.jpg

Oriel's (omendelovitz) KICAS prototype headphone rig
HeadFi_070707_20.jpg

Do I even need to say who's rig this is?
wink.gif

HeadFi_070707_21.jpg

I'm not sure what's more impressive, the gorgeous woodwork or the fancy-pants SinglePower stepper?
blink.gif

HeadFi_070707_22.jpg

Jay, the reason why you don't get much listening done at these meets is because you're too busy enjoying your own rig!
biggrin.gif

HeadFi_070707_23.jpg

Renato's (looser101) modified Aikido amplifier, it's the “bomb”!
HeadFi_070707_24.jpg

The McAlister EA-6 electrostatic amplifier with Peter's personal favourite STAX, the SR-Gamma
HeadFi_070707_25.jpg

Laurent's (Larryminator), excuse me, I mean Jacob's (soloz2) newly acquired Ariston RD11E turntable!
HeadFi_070707_26.jpg

HeadFi_070707_27.jpg

My Stax AIRBOW SR-SC1 with matching AIRBOW SRM-222P amplifier
HeadFi_070707_28.jpg

Renato (looser101), not yet convinced on the 'stats
HeadFi_070707_29.jpg

Finally our meet organizer, Ryan (GlendaleViper) sporting his new Canon D30 SLR
HeadFi_070707_30.jpg

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #51 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Pusher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally our meet organizer, Ryan (GlendaleViper) sporting his new Nikon digital SLR

eek.gif
Oh no you di'int! That's a Canon!
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #52 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was my pair that I lend you. Do you have further comments about how you liked them ? It would have been so nice to A/B them with some HP-2 but we didn't have the pleasure to do so, maybe next time.

They reminded me of the HP-2's a lot. I would say, based on memory, that they may be a bit more up front sounding and when I last heard the HP-2's, I remember them having more soundstage. The whole setup was well matched and very smooth sounding, without sacrificing much detail. I was thoroughly impressed.
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mid was about 85% transparent, and high was excellent, the problem with the combo is IMO clearly in its bass presentation.

I agree that the bass definitely needs a bit more definition. I have some ideas on how to achieve this, and we will see what happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

What did you think of the R10 bass? I thought it was nice and smooth, but something about it did not sound quite right. There was also a bit too much of it, but that could be great for some music.
wink.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by the mids being '85% transparent'... the mids have always been the strong point to the K340 in my mind.
340smile.gif

Not that I am trying to make excuses for my headphones, but one thing I noticed is that I really DO have a big head. As I and others have found, the K340 really does rely on a good fit for optimal sound. When I put on my K340's they fit perfectly and hug my head nicely. Many people were commenting that they were too loose or too heavy. I may have to re tension the elastics for the next meet. To give you an idea of the immense nature of my head... the R10's were overly tight on me and seemed to be stretched to their maximum size.

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #53 of 148
Don't worry Jay, we can be members of the Giant Noggin Club together. When I had the R10s on I was afraid I'd scuff the cups on the pizza boxes...
biggrin.gif

[Ahem, for those that weren't there, the pizza was on the opposite side of the room]

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #55 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They reminded me of the HP-2's a lot. I would say, based on memory, that they may be a bit more up front sounding and when I last heard the HP-2's, I remember them having more soundstage. The whole setup was well matched and very smooth sounding, without sacrificing much detail. I was thoroughly impressed.
cool.gif
I agree that the bass definitely needs a bit more definition. I have some ideas on how to achieve this, and we will see what happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

What did you think of the R10 bass? I thought it was nice and smooth, but something about it did not sound quite right. There was also a bit too much of it, but that could be great for some music.
wink.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by the mids being '85% transparent'... the mids have always been the strong point to the K340 in my mind.
340smile.gif

Not that I am trying to make excuses for my headphones, but one thing I noticed is that I really DO have a big head. As I and others have found, the K340 really does rely on a good fit for optimal sound. When I put on my K340's they fit perfectly and hug my head nicely. Many people were commenting that they were too loose or too heavy. I may have to re tension the elastics for the next meet. To give you an idea of the immense nature of my head... the R10's were overly tight on me and seemed to be stretched to their maximum size.

Your K340 was really loose and pretty heavy so that could be the problem. I equate midrange transparency with how much I believe there is a person standing in front of me when I close my eyes. A real person would be 100%. One of the best systems I have heard with that kind of transparency on the SF Amati
k1000smile.gif
You know what they say, you get the midrange right and you are 85% of the way there.

I think R10's bass out of Apache was too much, B52 had a better balance with R10, although I think if B52 was a little forgiving, it would be even better with R10. I drove R10 single ended with my DV332 (with bad tubes), and I heard alot of potentials. With the right setup it could be the ultimate, well, right next to the L3000
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #56 of 148
Looks like a fantastic meet, hosers.
icon10.gif

Sure is some impressive looking gear strewn about, and lots of smiling faces. Very nice room, too - lots of space to set up and get comfortable in.

Thanks for the great pics and impressions.

What, exactly, is this beast? Is that yours, Jay?
HeadFi_070707_21.jpg

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #58 of 148
Quote:

Your K340 was really loose and pretty heavy so that could be the problem. I equate midrange transparency with how much I believe there is a person standing in front of me when I close my eyes. A real person would be 100%. One of the best systems I have heard with that kind of transparency on the SF Amati
k1000smile.gif
You know what they say, you get the midrange right and you are 85% of the way there.

Ah, I see what you are saying. In most cases I find myself disappearing into the music, but I really doubt any headphone is 100% believable. The SF Amati is a speaker I take it? Quote:

With the right setup it could be the ultimate, well, right next to the L3000

I've yet to hear the L3000. From memory you would pick it over the R10? I suppose that is a good thing in the end, as it should save you some money.
biggrin.gif

You should have heard the R10's out of my amp, that was where I liked them the best.
attachment.php
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, exactly, is this beast? Is that yours, Jay?

Hey Gene,

Yeah, that is the McAlister Audio Massive Attack.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can see its new faceplate and stepped attenuator in some of the other pics. It will be a while yet before I get them installed though...

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #59 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See, I've noticed that with my K340 as well. I have them tensioned perfectly for my head, but when my girlfriend puts them on, she asks why they don't have any bass. I of course have to correct her and hold the cups in the right spot, and then it reappears with the correct seal. I think the K340 are the most finniky full-size can I have ever heard in terms of placement. But once you get them there
340smile.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #60 of 148
As for some actual impressions, I'll post a couple. The R10/B52 combo was awesome as everyone has been saying. A little too heavy on the bass for my tastes, but overall a very nice can, easy to get lost in the music for sure. That's something I usually only do with K340 or UM2 (The precise reason I own both of those cans)

The SR-100 were smooth, smooth, smooth. $138 had to be the best deal I have heard of in a heck of along time for those cans, simply phenominal. All you hear is the source, and the music coming out.

The UM3 were nice, I found them very similar to my UM2 but fuller-bodied and perhaps a tad better on the extension end of things.

The PK2 I was very familiar with already from the last meet, but the PK3 surprised me once again. Of the 3 products I've heard from yuin I've been pleasantly surprised by all 3. Don't like IEM or clips and want to spend under $50? Get the PK3. I don't like J-cord, but these are great little performers for their price point. And as always, the PK2 are a nice step up in definition and extension.

I think my favourite part of the meet was when I busted out my weller and fixed up a couple of tub amps on the floor. I'm pretty sure that broke a couple firecodes, but everything was just fine!

Jays K340 were awesome, and seemed to have just a tad more bass than mine. Not much at all when you got them sitting right, but a little more. All in all I'm very happy with how mine turned out, and how well the MP5 is driving them. Time for a new dac Jay, that lessloss was nice.

Q-jays were incredibly impressive, in size if nothing else. They had a nice sound sig, though not as refined or detailed as I'm used to with my UM2. Probably the easiest to insert and the lightest of any IEM I've ever used, and at a $179 pricepoint, that's VERY nice. Also,the S-jays have to be heard to be believed. 80% of the soundstage of a full-size can in an IEM. Not the greatest sound, but very cool to listen to, and only $50!

More to come when I'm not at work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back