Online Resource: The Eastsound CD-E5 European Edition
Jul 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #376 of 394
maxous

I was really happy adding the BelCanto DAC, it really seemed to open up the CDP for me, making it more musical. I found that the soundstage also opened up. I found the CDP a bit too analytical for my tastes and had a hard time listening to it for a long time (the Ellis speakers are also very precise). Didn't do much for the bass (two way ported speakers)...

my 0.02
i'd do it again, if I had to- that should tell you something
wink.gif

cheers
jim

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #377 of 394
Thanks for your answer Fajimr , I also have the Ellis 1801b , I built them
last year and I agree with you : they are very precise
biggrin.gif
, but you can
tune them with the port length as they are VERY sensitive to that.
A difference of 2/3 milimeters and you can have more bass and a more
relaxed sound , I experimented with this for hours
wink.gif
I find my Esound very good , also sensitive to the support , I tried 2
Dacs with it (EAD dsp7000mk3 ) and the sound was worse but the
DAC2 seems in another league , so ...
Can you precise me if the DAc2 improve the bass performance of the E5 ?

Cheers

Maxous

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #378 of 394
maxous,

since getting the DAC2, I've added bass traps to my room and upgraded my amp... both of which did MORE to the bass than the DAC. What I am really saying is that I can't remember much improvement on the bass- this doesn't mean it wasn't there but the other improvements (space and soundstage) were more noticable. I also had a short e-mail conversation with someone who had good luck with a RAK DAC, although I have never herd of it.

If you are looking for bass improvement, I would seriously consider Bass traps- I made my own and have a link to them on audiocircles.

jim

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #380 of 394
I'm new to this forum and was doing some research on the E-5. I've read a lot of interesting comments on the E-5 some positive, some negative. What stands out to me is the number of posts that have problems with their transports. I have had a Yamaha CD player for over 14 years and have not had one problem with the transport or the machine. Of course the Yamaha was made in JAPAN. Maybe I'll just keep the Yamaha as a transport and replace just my current dac (Audio Alchemy).

Thanks to forums like this potential customers can review problems that owners have encountered over time with the product.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #381 of 394
Don't let a few negatives put you off as for the money its a fine player. Yes i was unfortunate to have the problem you mention but i think it was due to uncareful handling by the couriers. I believe now the problem has been remedied with sturdier mountings for the transport or whatever. Perhaps drarthurwells can tell you more about the upgrade. Jim.

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #382 of 394
Just had a problem with my eastsound. It seems as if the transport has failed, it cannot detect any CD's. I thought it might be due to something mechanical such as the rubbing mentioned in the previous posts, but I pulled the transport off the player and hooked up all the wires and it would still not read cd's. Anyone have any suggestions? I sent a PM to drarthurwells too.

Dec 20, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #383 of 394
Unfortunately it seems like I have to bring this thead back to life. Somehow my player that has worked perfectly for the last 18 months or so just seems to have developed a problem with reading my CDs. When I put in a new CD pushes the "open/close" button, I get the message "clos" (normal). So far all is working correctly. The problem is that it usually is supposed to switch to "READ" and then show the length and number of tracks that are on the CD. Instead it stays in the closing stage even if the CD tray clearly is in the correct position. This continues for a while untill the player finally says "no disc". If turn off the player and then turn it on again, it seems to understand that it isn't open, and starts to "read". Unfortunately this is hardly of much use, as it then stays idle for about the same time and then proceeds with the good old message "no disc".

Some additional information: I opened and closed the player with my remote without any problems a mere hour before this problem appeared when I wanted to switch a CD. When I did that, it seemed as if the CD was not lying perfectly flat in the transport, but this might be an illusion as all the owners of this CD players know that anything but a very subtle difference is impossible. When using my cardiology grade stethoscope to listen near the transport I can always hear a hum originating from within the player, this is probably normal. However, while I can clearly hear the tray moving, I can't really hear any activity after it has closed. I don't know if this means anything.

I have no warranty to void at this point, but as I do not have the tools required, there is no way for me to open the player and look inside. If anyone has any advice, I would be very thankful. I will contact the distributor of this player in my country as well.

Dec 21, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #384 of 394
Anyone having E5 problems should contact me by email (not PM).

I can help - my labor is free. You pay Cattylink for parts if you have an out of warranty unit. Cattylink sends me the parts and you send me your E5 or the transport (with my removal instructions) and pay return shipping to me. I fix for free and return to you. Most of the time the transport can be rebuilt for $40 USD of parts, paid to Cattylink by you. Shipping of the transport is about $5 USD and about $12 USD to Europe.

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #388 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2c:

Use a decent power cord and leave it powered on all the time.

That might be at odds with what others say, YMMV,

Fran

Thanks. I have the Cardas PC on the CDP, and the stock on my amp. I'm in the process of picking up a cheaper PC for my amp.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #389 of 394
I guess I should break down and order one of the E-5s!

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #390 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrclarkie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I should break down and order one of the E-5s!

You'll love it, trust me.

What kind of setup are you using now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back