Online Resource: The Eastsound CD-E5 European Edition
Jan 9, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #346 of 394
I forgot telling that I also made a modification because of the noisy power transformer
mad.gif
: I put 4 rubber rings under the transformer bracket and now the noise has almost disapeared
icon10.gif
. But I couldn't put the thick rings I wanted
blink.gif
because the bracket is too close from the power supply board.

I didn't try to change the original transformer screw for a non magnetic one. Has anybody tried ?

But why is that transformer noisy ? I thought that is was because in France the power supply is 50 Hz. Any idea ?

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #347 of 394
My 4-month old E-5 has a serious tracking problem. I followed drarthurwells' recommendation for cleaning the laser lens. I removed the top cover and gently wiped the laser lens with a clean cue tip last night, but this has not resolved the tracking problem...every 2 or 3 minutes, the player goes silent and then starts up again after 5-10 seconds. This is happening on brand new CDs that have no scratches, fingerprints, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #348 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 4-month old E-5 has a serious tracking problem. I followed drarthurwells' recommendation for cleaning the laser lens. I removed the top cover and gently wiped the laser lens with a clean cue tip last night, but this has not resolved the tracking problem...every 2 or 3 minutes, the player goes silent and then starts up again after 5-10 seconds. This is happening on brand new CDs that have no scratches, fingerprints, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm afraid it looks like a new transport as the same thing happened to mine. Get in touch with the seller for a new one. Jim.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #349 of 394
I had an occasional skip back in the fall, which was cleared up, in total, by changing the drive transport, which cost me a whopping $7 in shipping... and, even after not following instructions, the good Dr still suffered through me.

Thank you, Dr Wells, for providing all E5 owners (that have had a transport issue) a service that has helped make this unit a success. You have done good, and a pox on those who can but only wonder why. Your results speak for themselves, and I enjoy that daily.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #350 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, Dr Wells, for providing all E5 owners (that have had a transport issue) a service that has helped make this unit a success. You have done good, and a pox on those who can but only wonder why. Your results speak for themselves, and I enjoy that daily.

I must also commend on the excellent assistance provided by Dr a few months ago when I had tracking problems with my E5. A new transport from Cattylink and the instructions by Dr were the only things needed to resolve the issue.

M Tan

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #351 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtan002 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must also commend on the excellent assistance provided by Dr a few months ago when I had tracking problems with my E5. A new transport from Cattylink and the instructions by Dr were the only things needed to resolve the issue.

M Tan

Same thing here. People who have problems with the transport don't forget this link: http://pages.videotron.com/mikedf/

Mike

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #352 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by spirou38 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But why is that transformer noisy ? I thought that is was because in France the power supply is 50 Hz. Any idea ?

Mine is silent and I didn't make any changes except sorbothane footers under the player. It's 60Hz.

Mike

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #353 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Dr,

have you any ideas on this "leaving it powered on all the time" thing?

Fran

Not really but I've noticed this with anything that has a transformer in it. It sounds better after at least an hour. My amplifier is the same. I never leave my system on all the time because we have frequent power outages and brownouts in winter and thunderstorms in summer. I leave it on with music playing for at least an hour before sitting down and actually listening.

Another thing I wanted to mention concerning some users reporting the E5 was too laidback or thin in the midrange. I was starting to think the same thing until I tried a different amplifier. The sound is totally different now and not just in the midrange. The difference was not subtle. Anyone could hear it. Don't blame the source for everything you might dislike about your system's sound.

Mike

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #354 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtan002 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

M Tan

Have'nt checked out this thread in several months, lots of posts in the
meantime.
Well, after about six months of use my E5 suddenly would not power up,
no display lights, nothing. Both Cattylink and the good Dr.Arthur Wells
responded promptly with help, this was May 2006.

Following the detailed instructions from Dr.Wells I was able to isolate the
problem as a bad power transformer.

Cattylink sent me a replacement transformer via Dr.Wells and again with
his detailed instructions I was able to install the new transformer and
Presto ! my player is back in action. It is working perfectly since then.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #355 of 394
Any further observations about the ZapFilter with the E5? After going balanced, I have a definite smear that I never had on the RCA outs.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #356 of 394
Extensive burnin helps a lot with that. When looser101 swapped my E5 for his [he is taking mine to install the zapfilter] there was a huge difference as his balanced outputs had not been used. I've had it running a fair bit and it seems to be smoothing out and the bass is getting more authority.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #357 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any further observations about the ZapFilter with the E5? After going balanced, I have a definite smear that I never had on the RCA outs.

The stock E5 uses lots of op amps/caps for the balanced output stage.

The Zap would definitely blow away the stock E5 balanced ouput stage,
I know, I modded one long ago.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #358 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zap would definitely blow away the stock E5 balanced ouput stage,

What about compared to the single ended output stage?

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #359 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about compared to the single ended output stage?

If I recall, the stock single ended stage is better than the stock balanced stage on the E5.

But the Zapfilter/clock/psu mods affected both balanced and unbalanced outputs on my modded unit.

I remember deeper and more controlled bass, more extended highs but sweeter and smoother, better attack and dynamics, better instrument separation.

Ask Morphsci, he bought my modded E5 and can give you more details.

Jan 30, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #360 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Dr,

have you any ideas on this "leaving it powered on all the time" thing?

Fran

Class A outputs benefit from a 10 minute or longer warm up.

Some have reported here that even much longer than 10 minutes is better.

However, class A outputs also generate much heat, and this slowly spreads over many hours - possible decreasing the life of circuit board parts.

I turn mine on when I start to use it and leave it on when finsished if I intend to return back to using it within a few hours (otherwise I turn it off when I am finished lsitening).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back