Online Resource: The Eastsound CD-E5 European Edition
Jun 16, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #316 of 394
Hi Everybody,
As we say concerning the news : nobody talks about the train arriving on time ( I am a journalist
etysmile.gif
).
So just a word to say that my Esound Signature is, up to now perfectly working.

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #317 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Man, so many problems we're all having with this player. I'd like to sell mine and move on but I don't think anyone would buy it at this point, and even if someone did I'd be worried it would break on them. Even my silver raincoat power cord broke the other day. The wires just slipped right out of the plug housing. And before Arthur chimes in with how to fix it...I shouldn't have to.
mad.gif

Well, I emailed you advice, and apparently you cleaned the laser lens or checked the transport connections to the mainboard, or something else, because you later reported to me that your E5 was working fine.

Sorry to hear about the plug coming loose on the silver raincoat - mail it to me and I will repair it and return to you. Email me for instructions.

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #318 of 394
Hi to everyone at Headfi! My first post here.

Been reading about the Eastsound E5 CDP and this is definately on my shortlist for a new CDP / DAC.

Can someone please answer a few questions for me - although i've skimmed through the thread for quite a while I cant seem to find answer to these qs:

1. Where is it best to buy from - im from the UK.
2. How much will it cost me? Any tax to pay or anything?
3. Which is the latest version? Are they reliable?

One final thing - is this the best CDP around for the price? My main priority is sound quality. Maybe im better off going for a DAC instead? Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #319 of 394
Where are all the posts about busted G08s, DAC1s, Carys and other prevalent Head-Fi sources? Although service has been helpful so far, I can't help but feel that it's all an effort to bandage up a somewhat mis-designed or poorly-manufactured product.

To the people without problems, how do you know that your player isn't marginalized but still hanging on well enough to be physically working? How can it not concern you that so many are dropping out in the field?

It's really not my intent to malign the E5 or Eastsound or even Chinese gear. It's a great player at a good price. No one can dispute that. I'm just concerned about the quality trend I'm seeing and no one else seems to be addressing the fact that there seems to be a problem with them.

This is the last I'll speak on the issue.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #320 of 394
Quote:

Where are all the posts about busted G08s, DAC1s, Carys and other prevalent Head-Fi sources?

In their respective forums. Or their owners call the company.
tongue.gif

Go check out the Eastsound forum and tell me what you are able to find out... try giving them a call.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #321 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTVV6
Hi to everyone at Headfi! My first post here.

Been reading about the Eastsound E5 CDP and this is definately on my shortlist for a new CDP / DAC.

Can someone please answer a few questions for me - although i've skimmed through the thread for quite a while I cant seem to find answer to these qs:

1. Where is it best to buy from - im from the UK.
2. How much will it cost me? Any tax to pay or anything?
3. Which is the latest version? Are they reliable?

One final thing - is this the best CDP around for the price? My main priority is sound quality. Maybe im better off going for a DAC instead? Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi and welcome
As i am from the UK i'll answer your questions.

1. I bought mine from Cattylink, not sure who else sells them.

2. You will have to ask him for a quote. He only likes to be payed in Dollars.

3. The Signature

Jim.

Jun 17, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #322 of 394
Quote:

It's really not my intent to malign the E5 or Eastsound or even Chinese gear. It's a great player at a good price. No one can dispute that. I'm just concerned about the quality trend I'm seeing and no one else seems to be addressing the fact that there seems to be a problem with them.

jefemeister,

allthough I had a problem myself, I cannot be negative about the E5.
It is build like a tank and the internal design and finish is okay (I have a bachelor in electronics but have choosen an other direction couple years ago. However I know more or less what I am talking about).

The service from drarthurwells is great. The guy should receive a reward.

What is not good on the E5 is the service communication of Cattylink. I have the feeling that they are now building up an international network. For Europe they have different dealers allready. So that service communication will then go through those dealers and shall therefore (hopefully) improve.

@GTVV6

Result of these networking will be a price increase. I notice now allready that these dealers sell the E5 with over 25% markup.
ThE E5 is a great player for its price. With price I mean about 700 USD. With the mark-up that price will go to something like 1000 USD.
For 1000 USD you will find players that are es good as the E5 and even better (tighter bass).
In the 700 USD price range the E5 is hard to beat.

As far as the signature: this is IMHO pure marketing. There cannot be a reasonable sound difference. On a dutch forum a guy took detailed pictures on all components. Apart from the color of the front plate and the 1 inch wire between main PCB and analog out, they couldn't find any difference.
If I were you, I would choose the signature if you are looking for a black unit and the normal E5 if you look for a silver unit.

Oct 13, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #323 of 394
I was looking for an update to my CD player (Teac VRDS 7 as player + Aragon 2A MK II as DAC); my favour still goes to the analog side so I was looking for something almost as good as my turntable but not asking me huge investments.
Being in China for business every two months I have tested most of current CD plyers of local production with the following results:
- the best machine I have found is the Opera Audio 5.0 "Droplet" with tube output but only if you take it with it's specific base. You can get the Player for approx. 24.000 rmb = 2400€
- all remaining Opera Audio models ("Forbidden City/Turandot" and "reference 2.2") have what I call the "Linn LP 12" syndrome: first five minuts they sound great, first days great, after one week the simplify the music so much that they get booring.
- forget about Vincent , in spite of tube output they are "digital" in the worst meaning.
In the end I decided to buy the E5 Signature Edition which was for me the best balanced performer (second only to the Droplet)at a fairly acceptable price.
Burn in: don't try to listen it before min 50 hours and, if you can patience, go for the 150 hours of burn in. I made it using the test record in the Caracalc room acoustics software since it has tracks with several frequences including pink noise. Put it in repeat for 48 hours, stop one day and so on until the 150 hours.
Find a good power cable (I use a Supra Lo Rad 2,5mm).
Do not use a power cable without ground like other cd players use; the E% needs to be grounded otherwise the noise floor is increased. Further improvement on this is by connecting the plug into the mains with the proper phasing.
Forget the standard feet or spikes and get four good quality feet (I use 4 G-Flex; details are on www.tnt-audio.com).
Get a 2kg slab of marble or a heavy tile and place it on the top resting on 4 soft feet like Bright Star Isonodes; it reduces further the resonances of the metal box.
If you are willing to open it (and then lose the warranty rights!) you can further dampen the transport system by using some blue tack on the top bridge and around it; it improves focus and stage.
Finally, choose a good signal cable; I have never felt any lack of bass so I have decided for a Kimber KCAG; if your system is a bit too bright go for a VdH the Second.
Cheers.
Piero

Oct 13, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #324 of 394
Nice to hear about your experiences. It is a great player for the price, though as with anything in audio... it can be improved upon.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #325 of 394
Has this thread slowed down or what ???

Anyway this isn't directly about the E5 but more about combination amplifier and CD player.

As some of you might know I've had the E5 for some time now and have never felt the need to upgrade it at all. For now I'm trying new combinations and tweaks (amplifier, cables, speakers possibly) but the E5 is staying because it's that good. It was first paired with a NAD 370 which was sold and replaced with a Portal Panache which I still own and like. I've always wanted to try out a quality Class A amplifier with the E5 but could not really afford one until recently. I just purchased a Cayin 265Ai from a fellow Audiogon member and will have to wait awhile until it gets here. I'll try each amplifier head to head and decide on which one I am going to keep. I must admit that Arvin Kohli's review in hometheaterhifi as well as a few discussions we had by email has helped me make my decision.

I'm essentially looking for a slightly more forward/clearer midrange (especially on vocals) and I'm hoping the 265Ai will help. We shall see. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Oct 28, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #326 of 394
I have just added a Behringer DEQ2496 to my E5 as i listen mainly through speakers and used the auto pink noise adjustment and its made a huge improvement. Had a big bass hump which was cleaned up and now the mid range is so much better with increased dynamics and strangely enough better and deeper bass. For the price its more cost affective than room treatment or spendind big money on high end stuff. Jim.

Oct 30, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #327 of 394
Had the E5 and personally feel that a SACDmodded Denon 3910 or a Sony ES 100 SACDmodded is much better. I have not heard it but I bet a Zapfilter mod to a E5 would be much better as stated by others.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #328 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
Had the E5 and personally feel that a SACDmodded Denon 3910 or a Sony ES 100 SACDmodded is much better. I have not heard it but I bet a Zapfilter mod to a E5 would be much better as stated by others.
biggrin.gif

Most probably anything heavily modded would beat the Esound. What Les does at Avondale Audio in England with an Arcam A5 and a Naim Cd3 (at a price) is remarkable. I dont think its fair comparing stock items to heavily modded units especially different manufacturers. Jim.

Nov 9, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #329 of 394
Quote:

I do know that if I had one criticism of the E5 it would be a slight harshness

this is interesting because i have the E5 paired with the Jungson Ja88D classA amp and it sounds excellent. Its never harsh of fatiguing, i can listen for hours and hours (loud); total immersion , it's almost analogue in its nature, huge soundstage and great bass extension. But when i listen through the Gilmore dynalo and hd580's , it leaves me cold. one or two songs , sometimes i even turn it off before the end of the song. It just sounds a little hard and the treble gets overbearing and unbalanced. I guess synergy really is important.

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #330 of 394
Hi all,

Thanks to that post, I just ordered an East Sound E5 European Edition cd player
eggosmile.gif
with the 120 hours quality assurance test, shipped by DHL and with the famous marble slab.

Has anyone considered a digital AES/EBU modification on that player ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back