Online Resource: The Eastsound CD-E5 European Edition
Jan 14, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #76 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffjazz
I have had a problem with my remote control. It only works if I aim it to the left of the player and with a very small window. I believe it is the remote that has the problem and not the CD player. I have emailed Snowy a few moths ago and he said to send it back. I wondered if there was anyone near Delaware with a Eastsound, so I could determine it was a remote problem (transmit) and not receiving problem. Also any clue how to trouble shoot it without sending back to China. I have been putting up with the problem for some time now. Thanks!

I can send you a new working remote if you promise to send me the defective one back to me. Give me your address via email to me. I will send it ASAP.

Jan 14, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #77 of 394
I don't know if that is the solution here... all of the remotes are pretty flakey. Are we sure there is even a problem?

Jan 14, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #78 of 394
I don't know of anybody that does not have a remote which requires you to aim it at the left of the player (where the black dot is), and in a relatively straight way. Just how it is.

Jan 14, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #79 of 394
My remote actually worked MUCH better the during the first few weeks. I can actually stand 2" away from the player and point it right at the receiver and it won't respond! I have to point it 40 degress or so to the left of the player and I have to move it slightly back and forth in this window while pressing the remote to get it to work. I think you now get the full picture! Something happened inside the remote along the way. I replaced batteries, but it didn't help. This remote (when new) never responded as well as my (now sold) Jolida did, it doesn't have the power of the Jolida's remote, but it did work. I am taking Dr. Arthur Wells gracious offer, and this should hopefully fix my problem. Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know what happens.

Jan 14, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #80 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffjazz
My remote actually worked MUCH better the during the first few weeks. I can actually stand 2" away from the player and point it right at the receiver and it won't respond! I have to point it 40 degress or so to the left of the player and I have to move it slightly back and forth in this window while pressing the remote to get it to work. I think you now get the full picture! Something happened inside the remote along the way. I replaced batteries, but it didn't help. This remote (when new) never responded as well as my (now sold) Jolida did, it doesn't have the power of the Jolida's remote, but it did work. I am taking Dr. Arthur Wells gracious offer, and this should hopefully fix my problem. Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know what happens.

Your new remote could arrive to you next Wednesday. I have 2 and am sending you one of them in exchange for yours - I will replace it later from Cattylink if I can't fix it. Anyone with E5 problems please let me know. I am glad to help for free. I love the E5 and want everyone else to love theirs.

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #81 of 394
Hello All,

Has anyone found the E5 sound to be a bit lean and/or bright - when used with the silver raincoat power cord provided. So far, I have found this to be the case, although the soundstage and detail are both very, very good.

Perhaps I haven't given the unit and the cord enough time to burn in? I tried a Cardas Golden Reference power cord and the sound definitely has more body and is less bright...at least to my ears.

Does anyone know anything about the composition of the silver raincoat power cord? Are we talking about copper wire with silver plating? Is there a sheild or any type of filtering in this cord?

Thoughts?

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #82 of 394
I have had the CD-E5/Silver Raincoat for about three weeks now, and I noticed the same thing. I asked Snowy and this was his response:

THE SLIGHT HARSHNESS YOU EXPERIENCED MAY IN PART OWING TO INSUFFICIENT BURN-IN TIME OF THE CD PLAYER AND THE CABLE AND IN PART OWING TO THE EXCELLENT RESOLUTION OF E5 WHICH WILL REVEAL SOME DEFECTS PRESENT IN SOME LESS HI-END RECORDING AS WELL AS MINOR INSUFFICIENCY IN SOME PART IN THE WHOLE AUDIO SYSTEM (IT IS JUST LIKE INTRODUCING A VERY HIGH-END PRE-AMPLIFIER WHICH MAY GIVE YOU SOME Zzzzzz SOUND IN AN AUDIO SYSTEM NOT DISCOVERED BEFORE).

I have had my rig burning in now for about 80-100 hours of playing time and the effect seems have been tamed. Hard to tell whether it's me adapting or an actual change but I suspect it's the latter.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #83 of 394
Hello, All of you. I am new on this forum.

It seem to be a nice club here.

Last week I decided to purchase an E-5 from Cattylink. The unit has done the 120 hours test and is currently on the way to Belgium.

I hope to have this piece of equipment in house before the weekend.

Thanks for the Esound stuff you all wrote. Was a hell of a job to read through it, imagine the writing must have been even worse!

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #84 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAMark
I have had the CD-E5/Silver Raincoat for about three weeks now, and I noticed the same thing. I asked Snowy and this was his response:

THE SLIGHT HARSHNESS YOU EXPERIENCED MAY IN PART OWING TO INSUFFICIENT BURN-IN TIME OF THE CD PLAYER AND THE CABLE AND IN PART OWING TO THE EXCELLENT RESOLUTION OF E5 WHICH WILL REVEAL SOME DEFECTS PRESENT IN SOME LESS HI-END RECORDING AS WELL AS MINOR INSUFFICIENCY IN SOME PART IN THE WHOLE AUDIO SYSTEM (IT IS JUST LIKE INTRODUCING A VERY HIGH-END PRE-AMPLIFIER WHICH MAY GIVE YOU SOME Zzzzzz SOUND IN AN AUDIO SYSTEM NOT DISCOVERED BEFORE).

I have had my rig burning in now for about 80-100 hours of playing time and the effect seems have been tamed. Hard to tell whether it's me adapting or an actual change but I suspect it's the latter.

I think the important thing is that you are enjoying it now. Whether it is a phsyical or a psycholigical change - do you enjoy it? I personally found the esound to be the first bit of equipment where I could actually tell the difference between two IC's. So - try switching different components. But, if you're enjoying it - just continue to do so
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #85 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterduc
Hello, All of you. I am new on this forum.

It seem to be a nice club here.

Last week I decided to purchase an E-5 from Cattylink. The unit has done the 120 hours test and is currently on the way to Belgium.

I hope to have this piece of equipment in house before the weekend.

Thanks for the Esound stuff you all wrote. Was a hell of a job to read through it, imagine the writing must have been even worse!

Welcome to Head-Fi, Asterduc! Let us know a little bit about yourself by filling in some info in your profile.
Did you really read throught the entire original thread? It took me three nights when it was just a few months old, I can't imagine how long it takes now!
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #86 of 394
Yikes... I've probably read through the original thread since I've been following it. But to do it all at once.
eek.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #87 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
I think the important thing is that you are enjoying it now. Whether it is a phsyical or a psycholigical change - do you enjoy it? I personally found the esound to be the first bit of equipment where I could actually tell the difference between two IC's. So - try switching different components. But, if you're enjoying it - just continue to do so
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I am enjoying it immensely. I have re-introduced myself to my CD collection. I hear instruments and other sounds in them I never did before, even ones I thought I was very familiar with. I don't miss my DVD-As or SACDs at all.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #88 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by ynot
Hello All,

Has anyone found the E5 sound to be a bit lean and/or bright - when used with the silver raincoat power cord provided. So far, I have found this to be the case, although the soundstage and detail are both very, very good.

Perhaps I haven't given the unit and the cord enough time to burn in? I tried a Cardas Golden Reference power cord and the sound definitely has more body and is less bright...at least to my ears.

Does anyone know anything about the composition of the silver raincoat power cord? Are we talking about copper wire with silver plating? Is there a sheild or any type of filtering in this cord?

Thoughts?

I don't have any brightness or leanness in my systems using the E5 and silver raincoat power cord, unless I play a bright or lean CD. You may have previously unrecognized problems in your amplification components that the E5 has now revealed.

Any solid state amplification has a lean tone that tends to be bright when compatred to tubes. The high resolution of the E5 will readily show amp differences, and reveal the bright/lean tones of solid state amps.

A tube preamp and solid state amp gives the accurate blend of tube tone body with richer timbre, and the best solid state characteristics (detail, dynamic impact, deep well defined bass, sharp image resolution, etc.). My Bada PH12 headphone amp is essentially a tube preamp with a solid state amp, and I get no brightness or leanness even with the Sony SA5000 headphones - just natural and realistic sound when the CD is not poorly recorded.

Jan 18, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #89 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by ynot
Hello All,

Thoughts?

I had similiar results on my ESound. You need a few 100 hours on it for it to fully burn in. I was frustrated at first also. I had CattyLink do the in house burn in and I thought that would be enough. Not the case! I know they can't burn in the power cord since they use 220v there. The cords ends are different. So part of the burn in is the power cord. Just be patient- it is worth the wait!

Jan 18, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #90 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I don't have any brightness or leanness in my systems using the E5 and silver raincoat power cord, unless I play a bright or lean CD. You may have previously unrecognized problems in your amplification components that the E5 has now revealed.

Or it wasn't burned in yet, which I find more likely. Quote:

Any solid state amplification has a lean tone that tends to be bright when compatred to tubes. The high resolution of the E5 will readily show amp differences, and reveal the bright/lean tones of solid state amps.

Thats just not true Art, there are many solid state amps that don't have this sort of character... most of Ray Samuels amps, the dynahi, etc. Quote:

A tube preamp and solid state amp gives the accurate blend of tube tone body with richer timbre, and the best solid state characteristics (detail, dynamic impact, deep well defined bass, sharp image resolution, etc.).

It really depends on the amps in question. It is quite possible to create a very resolving and engaging rig that has just solid state or just tube amplification. There is no magic combination.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back