Online Resource: The Eastsound CD-E5 European Edition
Jan 18, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #91 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Thats just not true Art, there are many solid state amps that don't have this sort of character... most of Ray Samuels amps, the dynahi, etc.It really depends on the amps in question. It is quite possible to create a very resolving and engaging rig that has just solid state or just tube amplification. There is no magic combination.
wink.gif

Art: I find your equating the sound of solid state and tube amplification amusing.

They are basically different animals. They each emphasize harmonics differently and this has a big effect on the sound signature.

Solid state yields a sharp edge to the tone image at the expense of leanness in the body of the tone image and tubes do the opposite.

Sure tube amps can be set up to give a hard sound that emulates the SS sharp tone edges, but this turns out to be slightly harsher than the SS sound.
It is simply not the same. This why people eventually reject tube amplification that gives sharp tone edges that solid state amps give - a tendency to slight harshness in bright lean tones, mostly noticed in the treble range.

Some SS amps do better with tone richness than others, but none can quite match the tone body of a tube amp with the right tubes. Even the most expensive solid state preamp and amp combinations fall slightly short. I like tube richness but eventually the coloration in timbre, from overemphasis of the tone body relative to the tone edge, turns me off.

A tube preamp and solid state amp is the best way to combine the best of soldid state sound with the best of tube sound. But it must be an excellent tube preamp and solid state amp, or it can produce new problems.

I didn't really get the best sound until I understood this and incorporated it it my system, and more importantly, I didn't fully understand this until I tried it out and was able then to compare it to my past all tube and all solid state preamp and amp components.

My home and headphone amplification gives me this tube-solid state combo. My portable BLAudio headphone amp has slightly more tone body than my previous Lehmannn BC linear headphone amp, and is slightly smoother and sweeter, but the BLAudio lacks the deep bass and some of the sharp definition and detail (and dynamic transients) of the Lehmann. But even the BLAudio headphone amp has more leanness of tone body than tube headphone amps. I like the BLAudio and Lehmann equally, but for differnet reasons, but the Bada PH12 headphone amp is superior to both by allowing for added tone body to the great SS characteristics of either.

Anyone who says tube and solid state amps are the same are talking in terms of being able to like either, and not in terms of their sound equality. They do not have equal sound by any means, though you can enjoy good examples of either.

I most enjoy a good example of the best of both in one system.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #92 of 394
Hi drarthurwells.

In my case, I have a solid state amp, however its sound is quite warm unlike some SS gear you refer to. I don't think the E5 is showing up any weaknesses there. Having said that, I haven't heard the E5 through a tube amp.

Anyway, in my system, the E5 with the cardas cable does not exhibit this lean / bright quality. Perhaps it is just a matter of the raincoat cable breaking in as others are indicating. I do wonder whether there is silver in the raincoat cable though, and whether this might account for any of the differences I am hearing.

I do agree that sometimes it is the CD that is the problem.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #93 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I find your equating the sound of solid state and tube amplification amusing.

huh? I'm confused here, because as far as I can tell I am the one saying that neither one stereotypically sounds the same and you are the one that is throwing around blanket statements. What is amusing exactly?
confused.gif
Quote:

A tube preamp and solid state amp is the best way to combine the best of soldid state sound with the best of tube sound. But it must be an excellent tube preamp and solid state amp, or it can produce new problems.

In your opinion maybe, but since when is adding more amplification stages a good thing? There are tube amps out there which do not have any of the common problems that most tube amps have and there are solid state amps with great tonality. If you can get everything you need with a simple configuration that is far preferable in my opinion... cheaper too.
wink.gif
Quote:

I didn't really get the best sound until I understood this and incorporated it it my system, and more importantly, I didn't fully understand this until I tried it out and was able then to compare it to my past all tube and all solid state preamp and amp components.

I am glad that you have found amps or combinations of amps that you are happy with, but this is not the only formula for audio bliss. Quote:

Anyone who says tube and solid state amps are the same are talking in terms of being able to like either, and not in terms of their sound equality. They do not have equal sound by any means, though you can enjoy good examples of either.

I've heard tube amps that sound like solid state and visa versa. There are so many different ways to design both that it is completley ridiculous to just put all amps into two groupings and start assigning sonic merits and faults based on that alone.

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #94 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by ynot
Hello All,

Has anyone found the E5 sound to be a bit lean and/or bright - when used with the silver raincoat power cord provided. So far, I have found this to be the case, although the soundstage and detail are both very, very good.

Perhaps I haven't given the unit and the cord enough time to burn in? I tried a Cardas Golden Reference power cord and the sound definitely has more body and is less bright...at least to my ears.

Does anyone know anything about the composition of the silver raincoat power cord? Are we talking about copper wire with silver plating? Is there a sheild or any type of filtering in this cord?

Thoughts?

I'm not sure about the composition of the Raincoat but it is shielded and uses heavy gauge wire. The E5 itself is anything but lean and bright and I agree with Arthur Wells that the E5 is very revealing of everything else in your system be it bad or good. I really don't think the power cord is at fault here. Another power cord might change the sound in a very subtle way at most. I've tried a few with my E5 and my amplifier and to be honest I never thought power cords made of quality materials made much of a difference. You might want to try different IC's or speaker cables. I've tried many IC's with the E5 and each one had a different sound signature. The difference between them could easily be heard on excellent recordings.

Just for reference I've tried Signal Cable digital ref and MIT Z-Cord 2 on the E5 and I really can't here a difference between the sound the E5 produces with any of these power cords versus the Raincoat. I use the MIT on the E5 now just because the IEC connector on the Raincoat does not go in tightly enough on the E5's prongs. It's too loose and I don't like that.

I hope you find the source of your problem but I don't think it's the CDP.

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #95 of 394
My Esound came in today. 5 days of running in at Cattylink, 2 days DHL express shipment HongKong - Belgium.
If you buy locally, it mostly takes longer to get your stuff! Great job Cattylink.

Good that you guys warned me about the stone-thing insite the package. I don't know what I would have thought about it when I was not warned! Anyhow, the stone didn't survive the trip.

After climatisation and unpacking the 3 cartons I switched the player on and had a negative impression. Humble comming from the transformer. This transformer is unussually huge for a CD player, therefore I guess there is more chance to hear it.
Newcomers may somewhat relativate this Humble as my listeningroom is a dedicated soundproof HT studio. Average noiselevel is only 20 dba, that means you hear everything. I am used on the Hum problems already. Almost every unit I bring in has a singing transformer.

Due to the extra ordinary sizing of the transformer it took me 2 hours to solve the problem. I isolated the whole Transformer support block. Now the transformer does not touch the chassis anymore. The metal support plate is now hanging in rubber rings and the transformer itself is pulled to the support plate by a silent block instead of the M5 bold.
On demand I can post some pictures of my modification, if there is interest to see it. This forum seems to have storage available for fotos, so that won't be a problem.

After that, I went through a few hours listening session but found a lot of strength in the sound. I am pretty sure that the equipment still needs some time to run in. There is not enough articulation in the bass section, mid's doesn't come out yet. Treble sounds okay already, I assume this also will improve during the next days and offer me better sound than I am used to.

So don't take this too serious untill I have used it for some time.
Overall, and apart from the transformer hum, the player made a good impression to me. All functions are working properly, the inside is an example of how things need to be build. In some way it reminds me on the Sony Esprit series.
This high quality is absolutely not evident for the price you pay for it.

Funny this NO dISC, rEAd, etc.. things. Well, they give it some charisma.

Regards.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #96 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterduc
Funny this NO dISC, rEAd, etc.. things. Well, they give it some charisma.
Regards.

Well if it's funny in German, it must be hilarious in Cantonese!
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #97 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Well if it's funny in German, it must be hilarious in Cantonese!
biggrin.gif

German Raisin? mother tongue in Belgium is Flemish and French!
In a matter of fact, due to the size of our country, most Flemish people in Belgium are supposed to be multilangual, thus speak and write Netherlands, French, German and English.

Kind regards.

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #98 of 394
I've taken the plunge and ordered an E5 on the strength of the feedback from this forum. To date the response from Snowy at Cattylink has been excellent and my set is currently on the 120 hour quality check. I've read about the need to burn in the cd player and wonder if someone could clarify how to do this - does the equipment just need to be powered up, or actually to be playing a cd?

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #99 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by frielj
I've read about the need to burn in the cd player and wonder if someone could clarify how to do this - does the equipment just need to be powered up, or actually to be playing a cd?

Put a cd on repeat.

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #100 of 394
Hi Mike FL.

I agree, I won't find issues with the E5. It is an amazing player.

As I have stated, in my system, the cardas cord gives me the E5's resolution, without the tendency towards lean/bright sound. So, as it stands now, the raincoat power cord is the issue.

However, I plan on upgrading my speaker cable and running some new power lines to my living room shortly. I will run some more listening tests then and give the raincoat cable some more time.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #101 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by ynot
Hi Mike FL.

I agree, I won't find issues with the E5. It is an amazing player.

As I have stated, in my system, the cardas cord gives me the E5's resolution, without the tendency towards lean/bright sound. So, as it stands now, the raincoat power cord is the issue.

However, I plan on upgrading my speaker cable and running some new power lines to my living room shortly. I will run some more listening tests then and give the raincoat cable some more time.

What speaker cables are you using now ?
I still think swapping the PC won't make much of a difference however running new powerlines might.

Have you tried a line conditioner ? It made a subtle difference in my system.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #102 of 394
Mike FL,

I'm using Acoustic Research 12 gauge zip cord. I will be moving to a modified version of the Cardas Neutral Reference in about two months.

We're upgrading the electrical panel in our home as part of renovations. I'm getting the electrician to run three new lines to the living room. One for the E5, one for the amp and one for the subwoofer. I also have new audio grade outlets for those lines.

I think power conditioners can be helpful when there is alot of noise in the power line. In my case, once the new lines are installed, I don't think there will be a need for a power condiitoner.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #103 of 394
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterduc
German Raisin? mother tongue in Belgium is Flemish and French!
In a matter of fact, due to the size of our country, most Flemish people in Belgium are supposed to be multilangual, thus speak and write Netherlands, French, German and English.

Kind regards.

Asterduc- Sorry to offend, it was just a comic artifice. I know your multi-lingual traditions, and chose german to extenuate the comic surprise. (german being such an inhumorous stereotype)
Is my humour wasted ear?
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #104 of 394
Quote:

Welcome to Head-Fi, Asterduc! Let us know a little bit about yourself by filling in some info in your profile.

done

Quote:

Did you really read throught the entire original thread? It took me three nights when it was just a few months old, I can't imagine how long it takes now!
tongue.gif

I wanted to do that, but that took too long.
In fact I was forwarded from google to #65, after some reading I jumped to the last and renewed 5 pages.

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #105 of 394
Quote:

Asterduc- Sorry to offend, it was just a comic artifice. I know your multi-lingual traditions, and chose german to extenuate the comic surprise. (german being such an inhumorous stereotype)
Is my humour wasted ear?
tongue.gif

that's okay Raisin, I was with you and I prefer the humour above the serious.

Anyway, the nice thing about forums is that the whole world communicates with 1 language (English).
The bad thing is that people all over the world have different cultures, traditions, expressions etc..., that sometimes makes it bit tricky! I have difficulties myself to explain things, sometimes they show different than they are. People that speak English as main language should keep that in mind and react accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back