Online large format prints
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in need of a large format printer (that is, someone to print it for me) for something I plan on hanging in my house: Internet Map. The geek inside me likes it, and the wife approves of the minimalist styling. So it's a go. Going to print it at 36x16", but I need someone to print it. I was going to go with largeformatposters.com, but I couldn't find a matte option, which I would really prefer. This is going to be framed and hung as art, and I'd really it not have that glossy "I printed this on an inkjet" look. Oh, that too - true silver halide printing would be a bonus, but I'll take anything that's archival quality.

Cost, while an object, isn't terribly important. Most of the ones I've seen were around $30-$50, which is fine with me.

If I can't find something online, I'll have to start looking locally. Does anyone know of a chain that does large custom prints, or if you're in the Groton, CT area, a local store?

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 13
Looks like they stop at 24x36. Pity. That's one of the major problems I'm facing; most good photo-quality print services are limited to the standard print sizes, i.e. 4x6, 8x10, 16x20. Very few do custom sizes, which is what I need. 36x16 is very... unique. MyPhotoPipe does panoramas, but not in the size I need. I think I might play with my image again, though, and see if I can fit it to something a little more standard.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 13
How about manipulating the image so it is still 36x16, but adding an 8 inch stripe of white or black along the bottom? That way, you could have it printed as a 36x24. When you get the print, use a mat cutter to physically trim away the stripe at the bottom. It'll frame up great after that.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 13
Wow, I never thought of that. Should have - I added a 1/8" bleed when I was contemplating using a printer that required them. So... huge bleed it is. I did email MyPhotoPipe about custom sizes, also, so we'll see tomorrow what the verdict is.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 13
Most of the small photo labs out there should have a large format inkjet printer capable of the print dimensions you're looking for. Plus, with a local lab, if you have a problem with the print, you can hop on over to the shop and have it fixed (assuming they're nice and will reprint it with no questions).

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 13
For the record, I have ordered my print from MyPhotoPipe. Ended up making it a 16x48, and then having them crop to 16x36. Got a custom black aluminum frame from AmericanFrame, which along with the acrylic and foam backing, was about $50. Photo, $40. Art, it is expensive... 'tis OK, though. I saved a lot by making my own with my wife today. We got 4 11x14 canvas that were on sale, and covered them with bright red acrylic. Going to either put three up in a row, or 4 up in a square (with white wall space between them). I like simple and bold things.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 13
you should post a pic or pics of the finished work
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 13
nice. hope it comes out. If you're still looking in the future, you might try a local place here in San Francisco called Light Waves. They make mostly photographic prints, but they do a mighty fine job!

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 13
I will indeed post a picture. I expect everything to be here by Monday. The original author of the work, Chris Harrison will also be getting a picture of the finished print.

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 13
As requested, here's the pictures. Sorry for the quality; it's hard to get a decent shot of glazed art without a flash diffuser or a hotshoe, neither of which I have. I angled the camera a bit instead, hence the slight line distortion. I assure you the actual quality is much, much better. The frame was very easy to assemble, and the print is phenomenal. Amazing quality. I highly recommend both americanframes.com and myphotopipe.com for a project like this. In hindsight, I would have printed it larger - 36x16" seems big until you hang it on a wall. Oh well. It's not tiny.

If anyone's wondering, total wallet hit for this project was about $90. $50 for the frame, acrylic, archival foam backing, mounts, etc. and about $40 for the print.

Print on it's own on the wall
r8h7ro.jpg

Showing area print is located
14mxjbm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back