Onkyo Headphones ES-CTI300
Apr 13, 2015 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

isabelsgab

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I had seen some reviews of Onkyo headphones (ES-CTI300) (the on-hear ones, not the in-ear) and I am somehow interested. What do you think about them in general and for which purposes do you think they are best for? 
Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 9
Are those the same as the Onkyo ES-HF300, only with a different cable?

If so, check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646415/new-onkyo-es-fc300-hf300

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 9
I prefer my Onkyo ES-HF300 over the following closed back HPs I have or have tried: Senn HD25-1 II, Shure SRH840, Momentum 1G over-year, AKG K550, ATH-50X. I think it has the best sounding extended vocals and highs from all the listed models, which makes their overall signature quite open, although they have accentuated bass. The first impression is that the bass is too much because it's a bit forward and it's not very punchy. But after a short brain burn-in you realize that it's pleasant and doesn't go into the mids. The impression is rather due to the slightly recessed low mids which are very clear though. The only downside is that sometimes pianos and brass instruments are send to the back unexpectedly. I don't think Tyll made a mistake adding them to his wall of fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

They are not very fast and the attacks don't have high energy, so I don't think the Onkyos are suited for fast metal or hard rock but should be good with EDM. I use them for jazz, blues, soul, soft rock.

PS: I find their fit and looks make them quite versatile for outdoor and indoor use. They're comfortable for long listening sessions and are not fatiguing.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 9
  I prefer my Onkyo ES-HF300 over the following closed back HPs I have or have tried: Senn HD25-1 II, Shure SRH840, Momentum 1G over-year, AKG K550, ATH-50X. I think it has the best sounding extended vocals and highs from all the listed models, which makes their overall signature quite open, although they have accentuated bass. The first impression is that the bass is too much because it's a bit forward and it's not very punchy. But after a short brain burn-in you realize that it's pleasant and doesn't go into the mids. The impression is rather due to the slightly recessed low mids which are very clear though. The only downside is that sometimes pianos and brass instruments are send to the back unexpectedly. I don't think Tyll made a mistake adding them to his wall of fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

They are not very fast and the attacks don't have high energy, so I don't think the Onkyos are suited for fast metal or hard rock but should be good with EDM. I use them for jazz, blues, soul, soft rock.

PS: I find their fit and looks make them quite versatile for outdoor and indoor use. They're comfortable for long listening sessions and are not fatiguing.

Yes, they are great. On par with the HD25-1 and Momentum - better than ATH-M50x - don't have the other headphones you mention. Wouldn't rate them higher though as the Senns. 

What I totally cannot understand is why they don't sell spare ear pads. I have the white version and Onkyo told me when I asked that they don't plan on carrying replacement ear pads, EVER. Since I change ear pads after some time of use and did so with Hifimans, Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics and Audio Technicas, I simply can't understand why Onkyo happily sells you additional cables (well maybe because of the MMCX connector?) but no ear pads?

Anyhow, these headphones are extremely good value for money, outstanding sound quality and I can't explain why they are not more popular. I think they deserve way more success and popularity. 

Cheers,
K

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 9
  I don't think Tyll made a mistake adding them to his wall of fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

Do note:

"I'm going to bump both the Koss SP330 and Onkyo ES-FC300 of the Wall of Fame in favor of the Noontec Zoro. Not only does it sound better, but both other headphones have some build quality, styling, and comfort shortfalls—not to mention they're more expensive. After spending some quality time with all three, I just can't ever see recommending either over the Zoro II HD in any way. Highly recommended!"

:wink:

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 9
That's very interesting! It sounds like we have another winner in the $100 range. I read Tyll's review and based on it I think it's a fair question to ask how the Zoros compare to HD 25-1. The way he describes their signature and me knowing the Onkyos, they seem similar sounding to the Senns.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 9
I had the Noontec Zoro HD, which Steve Guttenberg liked better than the original Zoros. They were pretty good. Not the same class as the Onkyos to me.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 9
For the price they produced decent sound.  Yes produced (past tense).  They are now in the bin.  No joke.

The cable is the worst design ever, due to the micro coax connectors.  Even the manual says not to unplug them frequently.  It is not a perfect connection.  Very harsh crunch plugging them in.  After a couple of weeks... tilt your head too much... cuts in cuts out.  OK, I put up with that.  

3 months later, cable broke internally.  Sound dead in one ear.  Bear in mind, these never move from my hifi stand.  Sigh....  Oh well, new cable.... 

New cable lasted only 2 months (ignoring the poor connection). ... sigh...

New solution... hard wire a new cable (borrowed from a pair of ebay Sennheisers) Cable problem solved.  

All fine for 9months.... but..... then ...  left driver fails.  Open them up... Multimeter says 3meg ohms (basically open circuit) .  game over.   (for that driver at least)  Don't want to mess around with it anymore.  Earfoams also split on both ears.  Made in China and belongs in the bin.  Onkyo's quality is gone to the toilet in recent years.  Sad, because i was their biggest fanboy in the 90's and 00's.  Not recommended.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back