Onkyo DP X1A or Fiio X7 mark 2?
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #17 of 25
Consider the Sony ZX100. Excellent sound, sensible interface and solid engineering.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #18 of 25
I love Sony stuff too....thanks I will.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 25
Let me add my two cents as a DP-X1a owner and user.
1. The GUI just works and is very smooth; does slow down for my 200 MB DSD files though
2. I can use two micro SD cards
3. I can listen to Spotify
4. I can use my 2.5mm balanced cables
5. I can use it as a USB digital feed to my desktop amp/DAC
6. Balanced output is hiss-free and is able to power my Ether Flow C's adequately
8. Available OTA updates
9. Ability to watch videos and other internet stuff like read emails, etc.
10. I like the way the volume decreases and increases when switching between songs - classy
11. Volume wheel works
12. I like the design and overall sound.

The bad with DP-X1a:
1. It has trouble with some of my 200 MB DSD files - resets sometimes if I switch to another song, quickly
2. Battery life could be better; I was getting around 5 hours per charge
3. Potential headphone port issues - I believe newer production strengthened the port; mine is very tight

Reasons why I switched from AK120ii:
1. No Spotify
2. Could not drive my Ether headphones
3. Sound was too clinical
4. Volume wheel drove me crazy
5. Only one micro SD slot
6. Too many new models

The good with AK 120ii:
1. Wireless streaming was tres cool
2. Very pretty to look at and very compact
3. Using Tidal

Apologies for replying to an old post.

I am a FiiO X5III owner who is fed up with all of the bugs and so I have been looking at the DP-X1A as a possible replacement. Unfortunately, the DP-X1A is only available as a Grey Import in the UK, therefore, I need to be certain that it functions perfectly before risking a Gey Import.

From your review you appear to be happy with it apart from some issues with heavy DSD files. Regarding the DSD files, can you really hear the difference? I downloaded some DSD samples of various frequencies with sizes up to 700MB and to be honest I could not tell any difference between them or a Flac File, in fact, I struggle to hear the difference between some of my 320Kbps MP3's and Flac Files.

Back to the point. All of the reviews that I have seen for the DP-X1A have been very positive with the only real gripe being that some have had issues with audio jacks, therefore, would you recommend replacing a FiiO X5III with the DP-X1A?

Thanks.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 25

I am a FiiO X5III owner who is fed up with all of the bugs and so I have been looking at the DP-X1A as a possible replacement. Unfortunately, the DP-X1A is only available as a Grey Import in the UK, therefore, I need to be certain that it functions perfectly before risking a Gey Import.

From your review you appear to be happy with it apart from some issues with heavy DSD files. Regarding the DSD files, can you really hear the difference? I downloaded some DSD samples of various frequencies with sizes up to 700MB and to be honest I could not tell any difference between them or a Flac File, in fact, I struggle to hear the difference between some of my 320Kbps MP3's and Flac Files.

Back to the point. All of the reviews that I have seen for the DP-X1A have been very positive with the only real gripe being that some have had issues with audio jacks, therefore, would you recommend replacing a FiiO X5III with the DP-X1A?

Thanks.
As someone who had both players and sold them (fed up with software and hardware bugs) - please do not bother.

Keep in mind that dpx1* you picked can not output 44.1 and similar frequency natively.

Check upcoming cowon plenue r or sony nw zx300. Both are around price of dp-x1 but with much better/polished software, hardware and battery then both of your players :wink:

Oct 23, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #22 of 25
I’m glad I found this thread. I picked up an X1A and find the UI and flexibility much better than the Kann I was using prior. However, the Kann supports AptX HD, and I’m not certain if the X1A does (it supports AptX, but it is unclear if it supports HD). So I started looking at the x7 mk2, but the marketing materials aren’t clear if it supports AptX HD, either. What is clear is Fiio is more active in the space. There are crickets on Onkyo’s forums.

Being able to use Tidal in hi-fi mode with the ability to download tracks is essential for me. The Kann will only stream.

Anyone know for certain if the x7mk2 or the X1A support AptX HD?

The Sony zx300 specifically says it does, but it only has one SD card slot and isn’t Android based so it’s likely not compatible with Tidal off-line storage feature. My library doesn’t fit on 512gb (two 256 GB cards) as it is. If someone made a DAP with three slots I’d seriously look at it.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #23 of 25

Thanks.
There is an audible difference between DSD files and FLAC files but you need decent IEMS or 'cans to appreciate it. Just not a deal-breaker and I only have a few (like 5) DSD albums to listen to so DSD is not a big deal for me.

The DP-X1a is a great DAP and you can get one pre-owned for around $400-450 or less. You can't get a Cowon Plenue R unless you import from Japan at almost $700 at the moment. There are so many great DAPs in this price range though: AK70 mk2, Opus No 3, Cowon Plenue 1 ($400 new), etc. All with different functions/abilities - the main point being that there is no 'best' DAP in the mid-price range - it all depends on what your sound flavor is. I have the Cowon Plenue R, DP-X1a, and the Shanling M3s and they all sound different and I like them all - no one is 'better' than the other; they just have their own unique sound flavor.

If you're worried about the potential jack issue on the DP-X1a, get something else - lots of options.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #24 of 25
There is an audible difference between DSD files and FLAC files but you need decent IEMS or 'cans to appreciate it. Just not a deal-breaker and I only have a few (like 5) DSD albums to listen to so DSD is not a big deal for me.

The DP-X1a is a great DAP and you can get one pre-owned for around $400-450 or less. You can't get a Cowon Plenue R unless you import from Japan at almost $700 at the moment. There are so many great DAPs in this price range though: AK70 mk2, Opus No 3, Cowon Plenue 1 ($400 new), etc. All with different functions/abilities - the main point being that there is no 'best' DAP in the mid-price range - it all depends on what your sound flavor is. I have the Cowon Plenue R, DP-X1a, and the Shanling M3s and they all sound different and I like them all - no one is 'better' than the other; they just have their own unique sound flavor.

If you're worried about the potential jack issue on the DP-X1a, get something else - lots of options.

Just my two cents.

I had the FiioX5iii and sold it to get the DP-x1a (even though I have always thought the ESS dacs are too harsh - I'm a tube guy). I got the Onkyo and loaded my FLAC files. It sounded awful. Not just not as good - awful. I thought something was wrong so I went to two different friends that had DP-x1a's. We loaded my files on to their players and their files on to my player. They had never heard the Fiio before. Short version... after 4 hours of listening, swapping, reloading... both of them ordered Fiio's from Amazon while I was there. I returned my DP-X1A and ordered another Fiio. I love the pure music mode and the viper effects. It just simply sounds more musical and that is all that is important to me. The only real issue I have is with it consistantly recognizing cover art (all mine are at 400x400 jpg's). I have found a work around for it and am fine for now.

The other factor that killed the Onkyo for me is the fact that it would not play WMA files. Files that I don't have in FLAC are in WMA VBR format - small file size / great sound. I'm running with two 256GB cards but you really have to be careful. A lot of the complaints about these DAPs recognizing the larger cards are due to the fact that the cards are counterfeits. It took me three orders from three different vendors off of Amazon before I received GENUINE Samsung cards. So beware of offers too good to be true.

By the way, I am using OneMore Triple driver and FiioX9Pro IEM's. The Fiio's are amazing... detailed, smooth, accurate bass and musical - great match for the Fiio X5iii. Of course with EQ settings and viper settings, you can make almost any IEM sound great. Build is great, quality is great, controls are good, display is good but most importantly - the sound is awesome and very musical.

One other accessory that I would HIGHLY recommend is the foldover case by TufLuv - well made and very nice.

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #25 of 25
I had the FiioX5iii and sold it to get the DP-x1a (even though I have always thought the ESS dacs are too harsh - I'm a tube guy). I got the Onkyo and loaded my FLAC files. It sounded awful. Not just not as good - awful. I thought something was wrong so I went to two different friends that had DP-x1a's. We loaded my files on to their players and their files on to my player. They had never heard the Fiio before. Short version... after 4 hours of listening, swapping, reloading... both of them ordered Fiio's from Amazon while I was there. I returned my DP-X1A and ordered another Fiio. I love the pure music mode and the viper effects. It just simply sounds more musical and that is all that is important to me. The only real issue I have is with it consistantly recognizing cover art (all mine are at 400x400 jpg's). I have found a work around for it and am fine for now.

The other factor that killed the Onkyo for me is the fact that it would not play WMA files. Files that I don't have in FLAC are in WMA VBR format - small file size / great sound. I'm running with two 256GB cards but you really have to be careful. A lot of the complaints about these DAPs recognizing the larger cards are due to the fact that the cards are counterfeits. It took me three orders from three different vendors off of Amazon before I received GENUINE Samsung cards. So beware of offers too good to be true.

By the way, I am using OneMore Triple driver and FiioX9Pro IEM's. The Fiio's are amazing... detailed, smooth, accurate bass and musical - great match for the Fiio X5iii. Of course with EQ settings and viper settings, you can make almost any IEM sound great. Build is great, quality is great, controls are good, display is good but most importantly - the sound is awesome and very musical.

One other accessory that I would HIGHLY recommend is the foldover case by TufLuv - well made and very nice.
I have the ibasso dx80 and the pioneer xdp-300r (which is very similar to the onkyo dp-x1a when it comes to the sound and UI). When i auditioned fiio x5iii and ibasso dx80, ibasso was a winner. Just everything was better (only sound analysis). Now when i have pioneer, ibasso is collecting dust. Comparing sound quality, pioneer wins easily in evey aspect (especially soundstage and trebles), when the dx80 is still a great piece of kit having characteristic, very forward and energetic mids. So drawing simple conclusions, x5iii MUST be worse than onkyo and i doubt that its only personal preference. Its just objectively inferior. Must be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back