Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #376 of 799
  how is the performance as a phone? any lag or issues with other apps, phone calls, camara? is it on par with flagships aside from SQ?

It's very good.
No problem with multitasking, 3 gb of ram is enough to run smooth.
Phone calls is very good, same level sa Iphone's or other flagships.
Camera... hmmm.. from one side is very good, it have a nice sensor from Sony - IMX298, but in the low light the performance could be better...
In brief: it's a very good daily phone + very good DAP!

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #377 of 799
how is the performance as a phone? any lag or issues with other apps, phone calls, camara? is it on par with flagships aside from SQ?

I don't think flagship is a fair comparison, it is more of a midrange phone. Display, especially, is kinda average with limited color range. I guess I was just spoiled by Samsung and Apple screen. That said, resolution is great, brightness is more than enough and viewing angle is fine for IPS, not exceptional though. :)

Camera, well, it has good sensor and could take a pretty good photo. But keep in mind, this doesn't have any OIS, so your hand need to be very steady when taking shot. Low light performance is poor, combined with the fact there is no OIS, getting sharp focused shoot is challenging in that situation. Auto-focus is fine though, not as fast as recent flagship, but at least we can get focus just fine. No RAW shooting and manual control however.

Phone reception is as good as I can hope, I think it is as good as my old Samsung Note 4. Dual-sim + micro SD slot is a plus as well, some newer phone combined one of the sim slot with micro SD, that is not the case here. Battery is average for Android phone.

Other than that, a very good DAP section that no other phone can touch. :D

Hope that helps!

Anyway, I ordered Tempered Glass for this... Works really well. If you wanted some protection, I can recommend this TG.

I'm also waiting for a Dignis case to come in early April. :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #378 of 799

Anyway, I ordered Tempered Glass for this... Works really well. If you wanted some protection, I can recommend this TG.

I'm also waiting for a Dignis case to come in early April. :)

Where did you get that tempered glass from?

I don't want to use the film I have been given for free with the phone, hate those, so I'm still using the factory matte protection.. (love the touch feeling of this, after-market matte protectors are usually grainy and unusable though)

Sent from my DP-CMX1 using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #381 of 799
Got mine yesterday , average phone performance, smooth UI, SQ marginally better than my dp-x1 for most of my SACD rip. Battery life so so for heavy WiFi use , tested when transferring song files from network to internal storage.

Tested by Shure535 2.5mm Balanced cable
DSP on, Eq off, Lock range default normal, balanced out

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #383 of 799
Where did you get that tempered glass from?

I don't want to use the film I have been given for free with the phone, hate those, so I'm still using the factory matte protection.. (love the touch feeling of this, after-market matte protectors are usually grainy and unusable though)

Sent from my DP-CMX1 using Tapatalk

My friend have access to Japan stuff, so I ordered from him. Not sure where he got it from unfortunately, sorry, can't help with that.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #385 of 799
Dignis is more expensive (with delivery) as well and there is no protective glass. But it is a matter of taste though. The Onkyo carbon pattern cover is only 0.6 mm thick and weighs just 15 g too. Looks interesting as they claim it offers a very safe protection.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #388 of 799
for more protection, they should had made a reliable lug for safety lanyard.. -_-

ps: and use 14nm soc for less energy consumption..
pps: and some waterproofness would be good..

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #389 of 799
After a month with the Granbeat I can say that it ticks all the boxes for me. I use it primarily as a DAP on the go and I am very happy with it. I do not have a professional musical ear, and for me the main criteria are presence and realism. This is where the Onkyo piece excels in every department for the daily use. Mostly, with the balanced output. The battery is good and getting better with time. All other functions work very well no matter how basic they can be. Somebody in this thread was suggesting numerous improvements. I'd personally prefer a larger screen. But have you ever seen an ideal device? And what the manufacturer will do for the mark 11 version of it. Enjoy yourself and forget about the technicalities. It is only an intermediate tool between you and the world of sounds! Otherwise, you would not see music behind the specs. And if you need a hi-end mobile phone, just get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back