Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP
Mar 6, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #271 of 799
Pardon my ignorance but how would we get service on this device? Im not really knowleadgable on the stuff. Whats the difference between buying a phone for $200 with a two year contract and pay monthly versus paying its full price?

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #273 of 799
  I'll be going to japan in a couple of months, how much would this cost locally there? and what shop sells them. Thanks :)

You can try the shop of the phone service provider like "SoftBank" and "DoCoMo"
Or you can buy it from "e-earphone".
There are 5 "e-earphone" shops in Japan, two in TOKYO , two in OSAKA , one in Nagoya-shi.
http://www.e-earphone.jp/

And it is cost JPY84800+8%tax

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #274 of 799
Manual (in Japanese): http://www.jp.onkyo.com/support/manual/manualpdf/DP-CMX1.pdf

In the meantime, does the phone have WiFi hotspot feature? If I am getting it, I need my iPad to be able to connect to mobile Internet by letting the Granbeat as a portable mobile hotspot

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #276 of 799
  Manual (in Japanese): http://www.jp.onkyo.com/support/manual/manualpdf/DP-CMX1.pdf

In the meantime, does the phone have WiFi hotspot feature? If I am getting it, I need my iPad to be able to connect to mobile Internet by letting the Granbeat as a portable mobile hotspot

Yes,i have try it. It works well.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #279 of 799
  @thiy71: There is a bit of rattle when I shook mine as well.  Never noticed it before, and only shook it now based on your post.
Just sold my DP-X1A, along with the one of the Sandisk 200GB and a 128Gb sandisk ultra, so unfortunately I'm unable to test the 128GB card -- the other 200GB Sandisk is in my Granbeat, and runs without issue...

@toears: Not sure about the dignis case, but if this helps: I did order a Black / Gun Metal musashino LABEL Full Armor Case CP-OCMX1C1 + musashino LABEL anti-reflective protective film from Amazon.jp as well as a VD610-00 ONKYO DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT for vertical carrying case Type-A + few clips from VanNuys (to my drop shipper)...

HI Wolvebain

I have send a email to onkyo.jp .They say their QA is investigating this issue now,maybe a firmware update later.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #281 of 799
@thiy71: Doubt a firmware solution can be done, as the 'rattle' seem to be caused by the plastic of the 'hold' switch.. a non-issue for me.

Feedback on the phone so far - Loving it!

Downside so far:
  1. Only 1x microSD slot - coming from a DP-X1A, I kinda miss the extra storage for wider variety in my random play.  Tho, I am enjoying a lot more Tidal streaming now.
  2. Lack of big variety of cases and covers - Past phone was a S7 Edge, and before that the amazing, but single SIM HTC 10... both had a lot of cases and covers to choose from, especially the S7 Edge.  However, neither of them sound anywhere close to as awesome as the GranBeat... Think I should look into 3D printing some cases
  3. Missing sensors & features: NFC, Finger-Print reader, and wireless charging... can't do much about the missing sensors, but am eager to try some 1A (not sure if I can get larger amp ones) QI receiver pads for charging once I finally get my case from Amazon.jp via. my dropshipper

Upsides so far:
  1. Great signal for LTE.. used the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot earlier today and enjoyed some very fast speeds
  2. Solid battery life.. I usually plug it into a charge cable at the office, even whilst listening to it.. however, I am realistic, so I am impressed that I can listen to music at high volumes without the battery totally draining on me
  3. Sounds great and works awesomely with other music apps/players: Neutron is my preferred music app (stock one doesn't play WMA) and like the DP-X1A, the volume dial & media buttons work well with it, as well as Tidal, Dezer, HibyMusic, Poweramp
  4. SMS/Calls on dual SIM work without any issues; important to me
  5. Call talk quality is great, both on normal GSM/voice calls, as well as WhatsApp calls, Skype calls, and Skype for Business calls
  6. As mentioned previously, allows for the 3.5mm jack to be used with inline mic for calls, and balanced 2.5mm for audio, but only in ACG mode. Allows for building a strange type of cable to take and make calls, whilst using more demanding headies like my SHR1540's at LOUD volume.. and perhaps a Z1R is on the cards at next Black Friday because of this
  7. Real world benefits to me: Have my SE846 with inline mic cable plugged in for making and taking calls (Dual SIM line 1 or 2, or WhatsApp, or Skype for Business that we use at client sites), whilst listening to music running on Neutron Music Player, and using my LG SmartWatch R as the music controller.. whilst I do work, go for a smoke, on the train,... anywhere really

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #282 of 799
Great feedback. Good to know the nav buttons work with all music apps.

I never use nfc or fingerprint scanners anyway so no issue there. Qi receiver should work and you can probably hide it behind whatever case you will use.

Still hope Onkyo makes a U.S. version for full compatibility.

How is the sound quality?

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #283 of 799
  Great feedback. Good to know the nav buttons work with all music apps.

I never use nfc or fingerprint scanners anyway so no issue there. Qi receiver should work and you can probably hide it behind whatever case you will use.

Still hope Onkyo makes a U.S. version for full compatibility.

How is the sound quality?

Also interested to know since I (and maybe a few of us here) are deciding between just the Granbeat against getting a DP-X1A and another phone

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #285 of 799
For those asking about the sound, see my earlier post below...
Will update it soon, as I'm currently listening to the phone (or is it a DAPhone ?) on my HD800S via balanced output.
Will do the LCD-4 tomorrow night..

Been listening to it for a bit now.
And really love the sound.

Not EPIC like my Audio-GD NOS11, but DAMN!!! Best sounding phone I've ever owned!
Balanced mode is amazing; can drive an HD650/HD6xx without issue.  Had my bro these it out with his HD6XX and my custom balanced cable, and he was super impressed. -- He has an LG G5, so this was like another level.

My listening was done on my SHR1540, running a custom balanced cable, with the phone set on ACG mode.
These headies are my office pair, and though a bit V-Shaped, with bass & sub bass a few notches above neutral, they are more than pretty decent in terms of detail and clarity.
I'll try them out on the HD800S & LCD-4 over the weekend.

The sound is very well defined; detailed and clear, with a noise floor that I'm unable to determine if exists.
Highs are crisp and slightly bright, but no real harshness.
Mids are clear, and detailed..  Vocals very present and focused..
Bass is tight and fast, with ample sub-bass.  No muddiness experienced, nor does it impede Mids/Vocals.
Instrument separation is great, and it has a good sound stage, though it did seem a bit forward.

Music listened to:
 Lake Street Dive - Fun House (FLAC)
 Genesis - Abacab (DSD)
 Buckethead - Captain Eo's Voyage (FLAC)
 Bryan Ferry - Slave to Love (FLAC)
 Godsmack - Godsmack (FLAC)
 Gomez - Bring It On (FLAC)

Music App: Neutron Music Player

[rule]@thiy71
Perhaps reforming the 64GB sandisk extreme pro?  Or, instead, get a 200GB instead!  Using a 200GB sandisk microSDXC myself; no issues. --- Already running out of space on the 200GB tho :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back