Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #586 of 799
Hey all, Im thinking of getting the Granbeat here in europe, I know the sound quality is going to be amazing like my DP-X1 which I would sell but I have a question or two.
I want to record video with the Granbeat but from samples ive seen on the internet the video.audio recording quality is pretty bad, the video is fine but the audio on the video is pretty rubbish.

So anyway what I did was took my ZOOM H4N Pro recording device and plugged it into my Onkyo DP-X1 and it works!!
11187204_800.jpg

it allows me to record audio direct to android!! Ive tried this before also On a HTC one M8 Phone and I was able to use the ZOOM H4N as the microphones for the Video recording application on android! and the video/audio was perfectly in sync. (Open camera app) I was using. So in my opinion if this works on the Granbeat then I essentially have a phone that can play back with great audio quality AND record HD 4K video with great audio quality in the video using the Zoom. Im planning to take the granbeat traveling and use it to record videos, but I was really hoping that somebody in this forum can upload a sample of it to youtube.

Currently Im using a Nokia Lumia 1520 which is great for even recording band concerts but that phone is not android and you cant plug in the Zoom and its got crappy audio playback.

If I could see some video tests of the phone id like to know how it sounds recording in HD as I can only find one video on youtube So if anyone feels like doing an video test for me specifically to test the audio I would be VERY greatfull!

Thanks

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #587 of 799
Hello to all. I would be willing to buy the Granbeat, but I have some questions to ask you before.

1) I live in Italy. Can you advise me for a reliable channel to purchase?
2) What is the average price for the Hong Kong version that should have more bands?
3) Can you imagine an Android upgrade to later versions?
4) If I have misread the camera sensor is Sony IMX 298, same assembling, for example, the V20. How would you rate the quality of the photos? And that of video (audio and video)?
5) Can you handle high impedance headphones?

I usually keep my smartphone for 3 years at least, and I would not go wrong with the purchase.
Now I continue to use a Nokia 808 Pureview, which I still enjoy for the use I use (no social except whatsapp, no games) but unfortunately whatsapp has been disabled and I am forced to change despite having a great audio / video. That is why I would not like the S.O. Granbeat's current presence in two years is limited to functionality.

Thank you so much for those who will answer me!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #588 of 799
Hello to all. I would be willing to buy the Granbeat, but I have some questions to ask you before.

2) What is the average price for the Hong Kong version that should have more bands?
3) Can you imagine an Android upgrade to later versions?
4) If I have misread the camera sensor is Sony IMX 298, same assembling, for example, the V20. How would you rate the quality of the photos? And that of video (audio and video)?

Hi Bro, i can only help you with a few of the questions.

2) I got mine in HK, the price is 5,550HKD. I paid 6k with tempered glass protector and the original back cover Onkyo case.
3) I certainly hope there will be an Android upgrade to later version in the future. But for now 6.0 is more than sufficient for daily usage.
4) i have a S7 Edge which is my main phone. As compare with S7E, S7E is clearly the winner. But this doesn't mean that CMX1 is bad or worst. It takes clear photos outdoor and indoor, but i prefer S7E color representation.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #589 of 799
It seems to me that the multimedia department has been underdeveloped, and it's a shame.

For example, on photos, I think you can use manual mode to improve results.
On the videos, on the other hand, I have seen two examples on the net and I seem to have a bad sound, I would say indecipherable. It seems paradoxical that an audio-oriented device registers the audio in that way.

Ruffruff, can you tell me how is the quality of audio in the videos? Have you seen the videos I'm talking about?

Those two videos, for the moment, made me change my mind about buying. If that's really the case, I'd like to focus, for example, on a LG (V20, Q8 or V30), sacrificing the perfection of audio for greater balance in other departments.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #591 of 799
It seems to me that the multimedia department has been underdeveloped, and it's a shame.

For example, on photos, I think you can use manual mode to improve results.
On the videos, on the other hand, I have seen two examples on the net and I seem to have a bad sound, I would say indecipherable. It seems paradoxical that an audio-oriented device registers the audio in that way.

Ruffruff, can you tell me how is the quality of audio in the videos? Have you seen the videos I'm talking about?

Those two videos, for the moment, made me change my mind about buying. If that's really the case, I'd like to focus, for example, on a LG (V20, Q8 or V30), sacrificing the perfection of audio for greater balance in other departments.

I know I felt the same, I saw the videos and its a terrible microphone in the Onkyo Granbeat and will be useless for recording a concert or a gig or any kind of event and in fact If you wanted to video someone talking the person would have to talk close and loud as the microphone cannot pick it up without a stupid garbage sound, I don't know if they can or would fix this issue.

If onkyo developed a phone/player like this but with stereo good microhpones it would be my one single device I could take traveling. and be in bliss with lightweightness!

The only way to record with good audio quality on this phone would be to plug in say a Zoom H1 into the USB port and this way it would use the Zoom as its audio device for the video recording, which would sound great even better than Dedicated cameras.

For playback the LG V20 sounds about 75 - 85% or so of the quality of the DP-X1 so.... It does have lovely video and the recording sound is ok for a concert ish... its one of the better android phones but If you really want good audio recording on a phone id go with the Lumia 1520 or 950 they are rubbish for playback though but have the best microphones.

The V20 is ok I can live with it but the sound is much more alive on the Onkyo DP-X1.. saying that on some tracks I did not notice much diference..
Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #592 of 799
I am reading that the HK version has more bands, for those that have imported one--are you able to get LTE on T-Mobile or ATT? Also where did folks import the HK model from , eBay??

I don't really care about the camera, but I would like to have one of these, for the DAC, and streaming ability with and active data account (non wifi), when needed on the go.

How is the overall call sound quality and call strength? Also does this have aptx hd??

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #593 of 799
I'm owning a DP-CMX1 for some days and am really disappointed.

Why a correctly formated SD card must be formated again when entered into the device? I spend hours with filling it with music.

The by far bigger problem is the hurtly missed support of cue sheets. I have a couple of albums not beeing cutted into single tracks. These are socalled concept albums where tracks often fade into the following track.
The DP-CMX1 always displays the whole album as a single track with it's file name.

My "little devil" Shanling M1 makes it by far better. It displays all correctly, no matter the type.

When is cue sheet support available for Onkyos not even cheep mobile audio players?

Shine On, Frank

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #594 of 799
I am reading that the HK version has more bands, for those that have imported one--are you able to get LTE on T-Mobile or ATT? Also where did folks import the HK model from , eBay??

I don't really care about the camera, but I would like to have one of these, for the DAC, and streaming ability with and active data account (non wifi), when needed on the go.

How is the overall call sound quality and call strength? Also does this have aptx hd??

overall call sound quality and call strength are good. i used to be using a mobile data card on a huawei MIFI and it is getting 2bars LTE at my area. With CM-X1, i am getting constant 3 bars and pretty consistent speed (I shared to my other devices using tethering).
and yes, the granbeat does have APTX. however, i dont think you would want to use that when you have a balance 2.5mm output :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #597 of 799
I am planning to get myself one.
Is there any info on software update?
Can you receive calls on sim 2 when sim 1 is used for data?
Which version HK or JP should I buy for use in UK (EE) and from where?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #598 of 799
I am planning to get myself one.
Is there any info on software update?

If software update is important, you might be better off with another phone. Cmx1 main strength and only strength is its SQ. Software update might or might not come. Even if it does, it won't reach the frequency of other phones :)

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #599 of 799
If software update is important, you might be better off with another phone. Cmx1 main strength and only strength is its SQ. Software update might or might not come. Even if it does, it won't reach the frequency of other phones :)
People see to take offense at normal questions. I did not say that software update was important for me. I will shut up on software update
So,

Thanks,

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #600 of 799
People see to take offense at normal questions. I did not say that software update was important for me. I will shut up on software update
So,

Thanks,

No no no, you misunderstood my reply.. i didn't take offense.. :) I only mean to say, that software update might not come, so something as warning to buyer... because cmx1 is designed as dap first, smartphone second...

My apology if i sound i get offended =.=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back