Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP
May 5, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #541 of 799
I think that we should be more critical of what our perception of junk is - a phone or DAC becomes junk when it physically no longer works, not because there’s a newer model with more advanced specs, but the big phone producers with their continuous upgrades and new shiny models have in these years gradually conditioned us into believing that last year’s specs are junk, which for me isn’t true, people still use old Nokia phones from 10 years ago to make calls – are they junk?

The difference is that they still perform like the did when they were new. Hell recently I bought speakers from an outlet store that were 10 years old and discontinued just because I knew they would beat out any recent contender for the money. But an android phone is a computer, how's your laptop from 10 years ago doing?

And if my Granbeat continues to work and produce Hi-Res music in 10 year’s time it will never be junk for me

That holds up fine if you bought the DAP, this is a phone. If I want to stay in touch with friends I need to be using what they are using for communications, whatever form that takes. These programs don't stay still, they are constantly evolving, adding new features requiring more RAM, more CPU cycles. Over time while the sound coming from the phone will sound as good as it ever did, the usability of the phone as a communications device will degrade.
While this will always happen no matter what the spec, they really should have started from the top spec rather than the low end. As I said it's the same power/ram as my old Xperia Z2 phone. Since then there has been the Z3, Z4, Z5, Z5 Premium, Xperia X, X Perfomance, Xperia XZ and now XZ Premium. It's 8 generations old! Not a good base to launch your premium phone on.

May 5, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #542 of 799
I would say phone like OnePlus is more like an exception, rather than the rule. I believe the profit margin of OnePlus is very low, which might not be suitable for niche product like CMX1. Most flagship phone cost about the same as CMX1 anyway, which I think is quite fair (DP-X1 + midrange phone price). So I don't think it is fair to compare CMX1 spec to products that relied on huge quantity sales to make profit (OnePlus, Xiaomi, etc).

May 5, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #543 of 799
I think that we should be more critical of what our perception of junk is - a phone or DAC becomes junk when it physically no longer works, not because there’s a newer model with more advanced specs, but the big phone producers with their continuous upgrades and new shiny models have in these years gradually conditioned us into believing that last year’s specs are junk, which for me isn’t true, people still use old Nokia phones from 10 years ago to make calls – are they junk?

And if my Granbeat continues to work and produce Hi-Res music in 10 year’s time it will never be junk for me, that’s what I bought it for - and given that it doesn’t rattle when I hold it, that I can see and feel feel it’s made of quality materials, given that Onkyo have published diagrams of its inner design and components (who else does that?) so that we can verify what we’re getting, I don’t believe it’s overpriced.

For me the Granbeat produces music of an analogous quality to the images produced by Leica cameras, and yet are Leicas overpriced? Maybe yes or maybe no, it’s all relative, as old Einstein would have said…

My smartphone 5 years ago was the Galaxy S2, I can't use that phone today it's simply not possible. Depending on how you use your smartphone the Granbeat will be almost useless in 2-3 years. As a dap of course not, it will still sound great. The Granbeat is not a great smartphone by today's standards, but it's a great dap. At the end of the day you choose what you want and need.

May 5, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #544 of 799
We all own a piece manufactured exclusively for the Japanese (and some part of Asian) market. And there are no plans for expansion. So, it is built accordingly to the local aesthetics and demands. Outside this paradigm, whether one likes it or not is personal and does not matter at all. Everyone, when buying, makes the informed decision. All the specs were public. Don't like it, don't buy it. What to moan about? Enjoy your music.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #545 of 799
Hey,
Android usually upsamples everything to 24/192. Is this deactivated on that phone? Or do i have to use UAPP?
What about the Tidal app? Does anyone know. I received my Granbeat today but havent use android for a long time.

May 5, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #546 of 799
That holds up fine if you bought the DAP, this is a phone. If I want to stay in touch with friends I need to be using what they are using for communications, whatever form that takes. These programs don't stay still, they are constantly evolving, adding new features requiring more RAM, more CPU cycles. Over time while the sound coming from the phone will sound as good as it ever did, the usability of the phone as a communications device will degrade..

Long gone are the days when I spent half of my time texting friends, playing games, calling whoever....
Now I make in average a couple of calls a day to my wife and say 10 whatsapp texts to friends back in Europe.
The rest is music, some Netflix and Peppa Pig (you guys with small children know who that is).
And to do this the Granbeat it's perfect.
I think this is targeted to people like me who give 80% plus priority to the SQ and don't care much about top specs phone section.
Anyhow I respect your opinion and hope you will find the right device for your needs.

May 7, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #549 of 799
Got to revise what I said about battery life, it's decent. The numbers from the battery screen are concerning but if I ignore that and focus on simply how long it lasts the all is good.

May 7, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #550 of 799
May 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #551 of 799
Dumb question, but how's the bottom firing speaker? I generally use my phone's speaker while listening to audiobooks during my drive to work. For reference, I am currently using the Galaxy S5.

May 8, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #552 of 799
Dumb question, but how's the bottom firing speaker? I generally use my phone's speaker while listening to audiobooks during my drive to work. For reference, I am currently using the Galaxy S5.
Well, let's not the strongest selling point of the device, but no doubt it will do the job.

May 9, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #553 of 799
IMG_20170509_185436.jpg

Can someone explain to me why when playing 44.1kHz it shows pcm 48kHz

How can I set native sampling rate playback? Please advise

May 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #554 of 799
For those looking to buy on Amazon Japan there has been a price drop today. I'm considering ordering the Granbeat even though LTE won't work here in Mexico. I really like the idea of integrating my DAP (I currently have the DP-X1) and phone into one unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back