Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP
Apr 27, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #526 of 799
Finally, the Youtube sound sync fix! It's been quite annoying to me. :D Works a lot better now.

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #527 of 799
I directly installed Nova launcher and the unread extension as my first app since I use this launcher since years. Haven't had time to found out if the feature was there on stock. If you like to modify icons that's also the way to go.

Yes this solved the problem and the Nova Launcher with Unread extension works perfectly. Thanks!

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #528 of 799
On another note, I received the DPA-PUCMX1(B) cover and I am kind of disappointed.
The general look and feel is not up to the Granbeat in my opinion, and the protection level on the upper and lower edges of the unit doesn't look good.
In the meantime the Kevlar case DPA-KCCMX1(B) became available and I order it, it's arriving in a couple of days. I will make my final decision after direct comparison and return one of the two.

May 1, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #529 of 799
Is there any way I can get rid of the google search bar on the home page? I thought it's a widget but when i long press it nothing happens and the bin icon doesnt appear (like when you want to delete a widget).

I mean it's no big deal but it's annoying (the google search bar)

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #530 of 799
Yes for me as well this is just a niggle when one thinks that at the moment no phone in the world compares to the Onkyo Granbeat when it comes to sound quality, build materials and polished, original design, but apart from getting rid of the Google search bar and that small white circle at the bottom it would also be nice if one could create a folder to put in all the apps one doesn't use, I've created one and put the apps I don't want inside it but they still remain on the apps screen, so now they're present in two places instead of one or even better none!! I'm coming from ios so maybe there is there a way of making them disappear completely (without rooting) which I'm not aware of so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

May 1, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #532 of 799
In phone settings > apps, you can see the list of installed apps. If not uninstallable, you can disable them and they won't appear anymore.

Yes that worked fine thanks, you actually killed two birds with one stone because I also noticed that if you disable the app Google the white Google search bar and the white spot at the bottom disappear as well which wackolp had asked about

May 4, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #533 of 799
Must say that this phone as some issues.
  • as other have reported, it rattles when shaken
  • the screen isn't great, poor colors and is WAY too bright
  • the camera software is terrible, you need to go manual (even then its meh), the auto mode has no clue
  • the battery is being drained faster than my bank account when I decided to buy it
  • the volume knob is too easy to turn, I am constantly changing volume by accident and I can not put the phone in my pocket without changing volume
  • it has about the same specs as my Xperia Z2 from decades ago...
This will do me for a few years I guess, but next time they need to do better. Something like this needs specs that will last. Phones now have 8GB of RAM (this has 3...) and CPUs twice as fast. This phone struggles with memory and power from day 1.

I always wanted a proper walkman phone and was hoping this was it, but it isn't quite right. It's just a DAP with outdated phone bits shoved in. Its great that this exists but what I really want from this phone is that is inspires the next gen of true audiophile phones. There is no reason why it can't sound great and be a great phone also. There is no reason why it can't have more RAM, nor any reason why it can't have a more powerful SoC, nor why it can't have a better screen, camera software etc.

Being great at audio is just being great at audio, it is NOT an excuse for being a poor phone.

May 4, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #534 of 799
While I agree with your points, I think you have to give it a few days to settle. Some earlier commenter had said about the battery issue, but fixed itself after a few days, possibly some backup or indexing happening in background. The specs, well, it is about midrange spec, which is what possible to squeeze in for the price point Onkyo targetting. Flagship specs is definitely possible, but that will make it more expensive. Android itself is actually quite efficient nowadays and worked fine for daily use to me (it is about the same performance as my 2 years old Note 4). :)

May 4, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #535 of 799
  • the camera software is terrible, you need to go manual (even then its meh), the auto mode has no clue
  • the battery is being drained faster than my bank account when I decided to buy it
  • the volume knob is too easy to turn, I am constantly changing volume by accident and I can not put the phone in my pocket without changing volume
This will do me for a few years I guess, but next time they need to do better. Something like this needs specs that will last. Phones now have 8GB of RAM (this has 3...) and CPUs twice as fast. This phone struggles with memory and power from day 1.

I always wanted a proper walkman phone and was hoping this was it, but it isn't quite right. It's just a DAP with outdated phone bits shoved in. Its great that this exists but what I really want from this phone is that is inspires the next gen of true audiophile phones. There is no reason why it can't sound great and be a great phone also. There is no reason why it can't have more RAM, nor any reason why it can't have a more powerful SoC, nor why it can't have a better screen, camera software etc.

Being great at audio is just being great at audio, it is NOT an excuse for being a poor phone.

What you say regarding the phone specs might be true, but it’s all a question of price.

Compare on the Onkyo store the difference in price between the Granbeat DP-CMX1 and the DP-X1A, which is the equivalent of the Granbeat without the phone features, and the difference is about $85 USD! So you’re paying an extra $85 USD for the added phone features (including two sim slots), really convenient as far as I’m concerned since I can do without an advanced camera or lush screen colours or powerful processors, I just want to listen to hi-res music and answer a call when I receive it without carrying two pieces of equipment.

How much extra would you have to pay if it had all the added phone specs you find lacking plus the twin dac on a separate circuit board etc. etc. the Granbeat has? The only gripe I have with it is the battery which runs down quite quickly (the problem of the volume button can be partially solved by locking it in Settings/Sound & Notification/Volume for when the screen turns off), but for me Onkyo did a great job in making it possible for audiophiles to upgrade from DP to DP + phone at such a limited cost, the ideal phone you mention + DP would be way more expensive!

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #536 of 799

There is nothing wrong with Grandbeat in a phone aspect. Just buy a flagship phone and separate DAP is its that much of a big deal to you to have the top specs on the market! The CPU is plenty for everyday users and power users alike. The battery doesn't drain fast at all lmao I get over 15 hour+ with music at 24bit/192khz playback alone, with the occasional phone call or test message. You must be dumb or can't read to know that the model of CPU and RAM are listed in plain sight on the ONKYO website.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #538 of 799

I disagree, in general, with your point of view.
I come from a so called "top" android phone like the HTC10 and even only considering the phone functions I don't regret the change at all!
The rattle you mention is minimal and I didn't even notice it before reading your post.
The screen does a great job in the everyday life. If I forget about technical specs (on the paper lower than my HTC10) I can tell you it's a very decent screen for which I have no complaints.
I don't use the camera that much so I'm ok with that.
I am super happy about the battery life, I am very surprised about your complaint. The Granbeat's battery gives at list 50% more life compared to the HTC10 in my everyday usage.
I feel that the volume knob is perfectly balanced, no issue there.

I think that the obsession about top specs often makes us (including myself) forget about real life usage.

The Granbeat is, IMO, an excellent DAC (for the money) with the added convenience of a smartphone.

I am extremely happy with this purchase, but of course I understand it's a subjective matter.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #539 of 799
The thing about comparing the price to the dacs is to assume the dacs are reasonably priced in the first place. I don't believe they are.

And while the CPU and RAM might be ok for right now, is everyone comfortable with throwing your granbeat away in a few years when it will struggle to run just about anything? This isn't meant to be another junk throw away phone but with these specs that is all it can be.

It can be top spec and still be about the same price, just look at the price points of phones like the OnePlus to see that the actual components aren't worth much, the junk they threw in this even less.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my purchase, I just think people need to be more critical. Things won't get better if people just blindly shower praise and things could be a lot better indeed.

Oh and on the battery, my drain is coming from cell standby. 35% just from that, never seen it so high. And I always have a great signal in my apartment.

May 5, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #540 of 799
The thing about comparing the price to the dacs is to assume the dacs are reasonably priced in the first place. I don't believe they are.

And while the CPU and RAM might be ok for right now, is everyone comfortable with throwing your granbeat away in a few years when it will struggle to run just about anything? This isn't meant to be another junk throw away phone but with these specs that is all it can be.

It can be top spec and still be about the same price, just look at the price points of phones like the OnePlus to see that the actual components aren't worth much, the junk they threw in this even less.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my purchase, I just think people need to be more critical. Things won't get better if people just blindly shower praise and things could be a lot better indeed.

Oh and on the battery, my drain is coming from cell standby. 35% just from that, never seen it so high. And I always have a great signal in my apartment.

I think that we should be more critical of what our perception of junk is - a phone or DAC becomes junk when it physically no longer works, not because there’s a newer model with more advanced specs, but the big phone producers with their continuous upgrades and new shiny models have in these years gradually conditioned us into believing that last year’s specs are junk, which for me isn’t true, people still use old Nokia phones from 10 years ago to make calls – are they junk?

And if my Granbeat continues to work and produce Hi-Res music in 10 year’s time it will never be junk for me, that’s what I bought it for - and given that it doesn’t rattle when I hold it, that I can see and feel feel it’s made of quality materials, given that Onkyo have published diagrams of its inner design and components (who else does that?) so that we can verify what we’re getting, I don’t believe it’s overpriced.

For me the Granbeat produces music of an analogous quality to the images produced by Leica cameras, and yet are Leicas overpriced? Maybe yes or maybe no, it’s all relative, as old Einstein would have said…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back