ONKYO DAC 1000 32/192 USB asynchronous
Jun 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 92
Quote:
When I said "mass market" I didn't mean that as any sort of insult. I love the various Onkyo gear I've owned over the years (and the Integra counterparts). My point was just that they generally are not thought of as a big player in the 2-channel mid to higher priced category, which is where this DAC seems to fit. 

I totally understand, and did not mean to imply that I took offense from the characterization. You are undeniably correct in all you say. I think the DAC (which I will never be able to resist buying) is meant to keep company with their stunning new separates:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/onkyos-latest-hifi-stereo-separates-go-retro/ 

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 92

Quote:
Quote:

I totally understand, and did not mean to imply that I took offense from the characterization. You are undeniably correct in all you say. I think the DAC (which I will never be able to resist buying) is meant to keep company with their stunning new separates:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/onkyos-latest-hifi-stereo-separates-go-retro/ 

Wow those looks nice, especially the amp and the pre. 

Are you seriously considering buying the DAC?

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #18 of 92
Quote:
Are you seriously considering buying the DAC?

I should have qualified that by saying "if they release it in the US." Of course, if bumblingbooby buys it first and says it's not a keeper, that might change my mind. He and I hear things very similarly.
popcorn.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #19 of 92
Finally a DAC with decent specs and good look and finish. I got tired of all these small brands DACs that looks like I made them in my basement. Looking forward to hear one if they ever reach Europe.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #21 of 92

Quote:
Well, what I don't know is why they used that many caps, especially in the output stage. I've seen many hi-end DACs that have discrete output stages with little to no caps.

Yes - the output stage has numerous capacitors:

http://www.stereosound.co.jp/hivi/detail/newsheadline_1290650152_image2_3.html

I believe at least part of this mess is their DIDRC circuit which I think is a filter that's supposed to eliminate interference from very high frequencies.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #24 of 92
OH SH.T
yet another one to add to the list of options.
confused_face(1).gif

nice looking unit too

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #25 of 92

wallwarts do allow for upgrading though

Quote:
its good that it has internal power supply and not some wallwart 

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #26 of 92
Jul 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #27 of 92
Jul 9, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 92
I have had one of these for a couple of weeks now. A very nice piece of kit- quite sturdy, well-built, aesthetically pleasing, etc.  I am using it to feed an SRM-717 going to my 009s.  I changed from my previous DAC (Fostex HP-7) primarily because of the balanced outputs and its jack of all trades list of features. I have it plugged into a Mac Mini using USB and reading lossless files off of iTunes. It originally was released without Mac support, but they recently made the drivers available. It has worked flawlessly so far. I have not used it in any other situation or with different types of files.

Generally, I am of the mind that quality digital sources are not so expensive or hard to come by and have struggled to identify significant differences among the DACs I have owned- although I have mostly used reasonable quality pieces of equipment. As such, I really do not have much to add concerning the sound of the DAC in comparison to others I have owned. If something something sounded bad or off, I would definitely hear it with the new Stax flagship. I do not think there is another pair of headphones on the market that is so revealing. Everything sounds good to me and I am very happy with the purchase. YMMV.

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 92
Finally. Thanks Gu Sensei. I am confident of failing a blind DAC test. Maybe I should stop faffing about and just spring for something like this. It looks good and would probably sound just like any other DAC to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back