Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Nov 25, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #196 of 401
That is a great price for sure. I'm glad you are enjoying them. I personally like the style, but I know what you mean, it isn't likely to have mass appeal. Shame as the sound quality, build and overall value are excellent but few people know about them. I equally like the H900M as a closed back. Thanks for the update, cheers.
I still have mine :cake::truck::hearts::triangular_flag_on_post::owl::flag_ca::dart::grinning:

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #197 of 401
Awesome, glad to hear that you like them. So my review would match your impressions I assume? I also love the Onkyo H900M for a very affordable closed headphone. I am actually now using the $1000US Pioneer Monitor 5 and trying to decide if I will buy it from a friend, but I have to admit, the humble H900M seems to be pretty much on par, like 95%, for a third of the price so Onkyo does fly under the radar here too much. The same company makes the Onkyo and Fidelio drivers, but the Onkyo drivers are a different design if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry, it's been a few months since you responded to me -- my apologies for the delay, but yes, your review absolutely matches my impressions and could not have been more spot on. I just hope more people read it, and I also hope that Gibson/Onkyo find a way to get some distribution so that these can be heard more widely. The A800 remains my favorite headphone in my collection at the moment and more than likely the best headphone I've listened to. I'm currently considering purchasing the H900M as well. Do you have any thoughts as to how well the H900M would do in an open office environment with coworkers sitting in close proximity? Would the sound leak too much? I believe you had mentioned previously that the sound does leak a bit.

Really appreciate your contributions to this thread -- people don't know what they are missing in the A800.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #198 of 401
Sorry, it's been a few months since you responded to me -- my apologies for the delay, but yes, your review absolutely matches my impressions and could not have been more spot on. I just hope more people read it, and I also hope that Gibson/Onkyo find a way to get some distribution so that these can be heard more widely. The A800 remains my favorite headphone in my collection at the moment and more than likely the best headphone I've listened to. I'm currently considering purchasing the H900M as well. Do you have any thoughts as to how well the H900M would do in an open office environment with coworkers sitting in close proximity? Would the sound leak too much? I believe you had mentioned previously that the sound does leak a bit.

Really appreciate your contributions to this thread -- people don't know what they are missing in the A800.
Thanks, glad that this is the case. I haven't had anybody around me to confirm sound leakage with the H900M, but I have to feel it would be perfectly acceptable as compared with most closed back headphones. The pads are plump and seal well and the driver housings are substantial so those factors alone suggest that leakage should be quite acceptable. I guess that would also depend on the playback volume and how quiet the room was. If I get a chance soon I will test the H900M with a friend and provide you some feedback. Thanks again for your response. Cheers.

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #199 of 401
If you listen at a reasonable volume level, there is negligible leakage from the H900M.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #200 of 401
If you listen at a reasonable volume level, there is negligible leakage from the H900M.
Thanks, I take it this was confirmed by you listening to music around a significant other?

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #201 of 401
Yep. Though I always pull the phones off and check with my own ears!

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #202 of 401
Thanks for the responses -- I've gone ahead and purchased the H900M! Can't wait to compare to the A800.

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #203 of 401
Thanks for the responses -- I've gone ahead and purchased the H900M! Can't wait to compare to the A800.
Same DNA, but they sound different. I still have the H900M and quite like it and I think for the price it is a keeper. Sadly for the H900M I am so lucky to also have a Pioneer SE Monitor-5 so it does grab most of the little head time I have available these days. I am looking forward to your thoughts on the H900M.

Dec 16, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #204 of 401
Take a club of newcomers :)) as an alternative Beyerdynamic T90, bought the A800 and I take off a month. They play from Mojo. I do not have any other amplifier, I'm on a long trip. I think it is necessary to replace the wires with more convenient and short ones. On standard connectors, this is not difficult. I think to sell T90. Excellent bass, scene. I love the dark sound. I recommend to listen Bohren & der Club of Gore. Hear many new things. For a long time I did not enjoy such an inexpensive purchase. Since the days of Mojo :)) Who uses what amplifiers? I'm searching :)

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #205 of 401
Take a club of newcomers :)) as an alternative Beyerdynamic T90, bought the A800 and I take off a month. They play from Mojo. I do not have any other amplifier, I'm on a long trip. I think it is necessary to replace the wires with more convenient and short ones. On standard connectors, this is not difficult. I think to sell T90. Excellent bass, scene. I love the dark sound. I recommend to listen Bohren & der Club of Gore. Hear many new things. For a long time I did not enjoy such an inexpensive purchase. Since the days of Mojo :)) Who uses what amplifiers? I'm searching :)

I really really love the combination A800/Burson Conductor V2+.....

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #206 of 401
I was lucky enough to find a pair for $175 brand new and so far I feel as if they're the best bargain I've found this far in my Head-fi life.
What? Where? How? O_o
I got my Fidelio X1 about same price, used very little but as new.
Wonder how X1 compared to A800 ?
Btw, I very much like the design of A800.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #207 of 401
What? Where? How? O_o
I got my Fidelio X1 about same price, used very little but as new.
Wonder how X1 compared to A800 ?
Btw, I very much like the design of A800.

Unfortunately it was an in store offer only at a local electronics chain, they were clearing stock to give space for something else.....

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #210 of 401
Has anyone yet found better pads for A800?

I haven't even found a way to remove the stock ones.....

On another note I got a balanced cable for my pair yesterday and the pairing with A800/Opus #1 balanced are the best I've heard them so far, extremely enjoyable.

A perfect synergy.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back