Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Dec 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #91 of 401
I think that's going to change cause the DP-X1/DP-X1A have been very successful and it would be odd if that success does not spread to their headphones.
As I'm not a typical audiophile since I've been in this hobby for few years, I don't have any prejudices on brands or models unlike many veterans that are reluctant to try new proposals that are not the traditional brands like Sennheiser, Fostex, Hifiman, Audeze, Denon, Beyerdynamic, etc.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #92 of 401
I hope you are correct. Audeze and HiFiMan are both new players, but the audiophile community was very open to their offerings so they quickly developed, and well earned I might add, a large following. I do hope you try the A800 and 900M and let me know what you think. Few people here have heard them so I often wonder if others will share my respect for them. Anyway, really looking forward to your impressions. Cheers.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #93 of 401
  Onkyo is coming out with two full-size headphones in addition to their new IEMs (E900M and W800BT). Shipping in march 2016.
  1. MSRP: €399/$399

https://www.amazon.com/resolution-headphone-A800-Flagship-headphones/dp/B01N64JUOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483132005&sr=8-1&keywords=ONKYO+A800

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #94 of 401

https://www.amazon.com/resolution-headphone-A800-Flagship-headphones/dp/B01N64JUOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483132005&sr=8-1&keywords=ONKYO+A800

$950 is over twice the MSRP listed in your quote.  That said, I checked the Onkyo USA site and I still don't see an MSRP for the U.S.  Still hoping the A800 gets released in the 'States soon.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #95 of 401
  ​

$950 is over twice the MSRP listed in your quote.  That said, I checked the Onkyo USA site and I still don't see an MSRP for the U.S.  Still hoping the A800 gets released in the 'States soon.

They are available in the US here for the proper retail price here:

http://www.accessoryjack.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=onkyo+a800

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #96 of 401
  They are available in the US here for the proper retail price here:

http://www.accessoryjack.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=onkyo+a800

​Thanks for that link!  But, it looks like a storefront for a distributor in Hong Kong.  Have you bought from them before?  I'm not particularly troubled by the non-US warranty if I know the distributor is reputable and these are standard products coming from Onkyo manufacturing (not "runts").

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #97 of 401
​Thanks for that link!  But, it looks like a storefront for a distributor in Hong Kong.  Have you bought from them before?  I'm not particularly troubled by the non-US warranty if I know the distributor is reputable and these are standard products coming from Onkyo manufacturing (not "runts").
Many head fiers have been buying from them for years.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #99 of 401
Good to know! Thanks. 

And how did you become "Headphoneus Supremus"? haha

Happy New Year to everyone BTW.

Cheers.
Years of buying gear.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #100 of 401

Yes my bad for mistakenly saying in the US as they are indeed overseas. And yes, and as others have said they have been selling to head-fi members for years and they seem to be pretty darn solid in terms of price and service. I would also suggest that ONKYO given their current US distribution situation would be well advised to service a US buyer in the US even if technically the purchase was Grey Market. I can't say that for fact, but think about it from a customer relations/retention point of view and I think you can see the immense upside for them to do so. I know if I had an issue I would simply call ONKYO US and speak with somebody and get them to step up to the plate and help. I have found that over the years when you ask nicely, and present valid reasons for your request, most reputable companies are more than happy to over-deliver great service.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #101 of 401
  Yes my bad for mistakenly saying in the US as they are indeed overseas. And yes, and as others have said they have been selling to head-fi members for years and they seem to be pretty darn solid in terms of price and service. I would also suggest that ONKYO given their current US distribution situation would be well advised to service a US buyer in the US even if technically the purchase was Grey Market. I can't say that for fact, but think about it from a customer relations/retention point of view and I think you can see the immense upside for them to do so. I know if I had an issue I would simply call ONKYO US and speak with somebody and get them to step up to the plate and help. I have found that over the years when you ask nicely, and present valid reasons for your request, most reputable companies are more than happy to over-deliver great service.

Yeah, I was thinking worst case I could go that route and I'm sure they would work with me.

Wish I had seen this sale before the holidays...don't think I can splurge more this season
frown.gif

I was going back to your writeup just to refresh my memory on the A800.  Did you ever compare them to other HP's?  I'm curious how they compare with something like the Philips Fidelio X2 which are ~$140 less (or with the SHP-9500s for that matter).  I do like the A800 style/design though...ugh.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #102 of 401

Yeah, I was thinking worst case I could go that route and I'm sure they would work with me.

Wish I had seen this sale before the holidays...don't think I can splurge more this season
frown.gif

I was going back to your writeup just to refresh my memory on the A800.  Did you ever compare them to other HP's?  I'm curious how they compare with something like the Philips Fidelio X2 which are ~$140 less (or with the SHP-9500s for that matter).  I do like the A800 style/design though...ugh.

I don't tend to compare to headphones much as I am not a real believer in audio memory being that accurate. I can say this much with certainty, if the A800 is returnable for you, it is really worth trying. Just a well done signature, sure a little treble energy that some might shy away from, I didn't find them that way, but at worst a tiny EQ cut and you're done. For the money being asked I have zero hesitation recommending the A800, and the H900M equally, but with the caveat of the 900M being a closed design.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #103 of 401
  I don't tend to compare to headphones much as I am not a real believer in audio memory being that accurate. I can say this much with certainty, if the A800 is returnable for you, it is really worth trying. Just a well done signature, sure a little treble energy that some might shy away from, I didn't find them that way, but at worst a tiny EQ cut and you're done. For the money being asked I have zero hesitation recommending the A800, and the H900M equally, but with the caveat of the 900M being a closed design.

​Fair enough, I can appreciate exact audio memory for the purpose of detailed tonality comparisons and such would be impossible.  However, I do think the general character of a headphone can be impressionable enough to make broad statements.  For example, I briefly auditioned the P7 wireless headphones at a store and it was enough to leave the impression that they had a warm and lush character to them and a very engaging sound signature full of body.  I can compare that to my HD 598 Cs, which is less lush but still warm in character with more forward mids, less body, and narrower soundstage.  I suppose that's because I haven't heard as many different headphones as experienced head-fiers here!

I own the H500BT's and I think your description of their sound and comfort were spot on so I'm inclined to think your description of the A800's are accurate for me.  Now, back to the budget issue.... :p

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #104 of 401
I'm very interested in either the A800 or the 900Ms, for my brother. I own the Master and Dynamic MH40s and he loves them and would like a similar sound signature with a bit more treble energy and extension. The price is also comparable. It seems these would be a good fit. Anyone compare the 2?

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #105 of 401

​

That's what I said. You'll never find them at this price ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back