Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #331 of 401
Told you in PM buddy, LS on left and RS on right, any Hifiman-compatible cable can be reterminated in 5 mins top :)
Thanks, I suppose that's my next step if the Earmax cable stops working. My friend could solder for me.

It's still a mystery to me why any TRS (such as the New Fantasia brand) wouldn't work on both sides. After all, RS is included in TRS. Even the stock cable is TRS.

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #332 of 401
It's still a mystery to me why any TRS (such as the New Fantasia brand) wouldn't work on both sides. After all, RS is included in TRS. Even the stock cable is TRS.

TRS plugs to the cups means three possible wiring connecitons but each side only needs two connections, so it's up to each manufacturer how they want to wire things (and different companies make different decisions). I posted the cabling details of the A800 in this thread a couple of pages back - here's the info again:

The stock cable is wired so that if you plug in the left and right cables to the wrong earcups, you'll get no sound - the left side uses the tip and not the ring, and the right side uses the ring and not the tip:

6.35mm tip -> 3.5mm left channel tip
6.35mm ring -> 3.5mm right channel ring
6.35mm sleeve -> 3.5mm sleeve on both left and right channels

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #333 of 401
[...] the left side uses the tip and not the ring, and the right side uses the ring and not the tip:

6.35mm tip -> 3.5mm left channel tip
6.35mm ring -> 3.5mm right channel ring
6.35mm sleeve -> 3.5mm sleeve on both left and right channels
I think I get it now. The first time I read that, I thought TRS would still work because a standard TRS supplies the left channel to the tip and the right channel to the ring anyway. However, I guess a dual-TRS behaves like a TS on each side, sending each signal to the tip. And that's what's different about the stock/earmax cable - the right-side cord sends signal to the ring instead.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #334 of 401
I bought the x2hr almost a month ago. They're great, but like someone else ITT, I no longer have a use for them after hearing the a800. There are a few songs for which I prefer the x2's over the hd6xx, but now even for those songs I prefer the a800 to the x2. So I'm returning the x2, which I wouldn't have conceived of doing a week ago.

Excited about the x3 coming this month. Looking forward to people's reviews and comparisons to the a800.

Oct 27, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #335 of 401
Managed to find one of these used in Japan and had to snag it. I sold mine last year and I have regretted it since. This is such a amazing underrated headphone.

Its the closest I have heard a headphone come to listening to a vinyl record in a treated room (albeit a very small room lol). Really pleasant, natural sounding and enjoyable headphone and a great reference.

The only sonic flaws to my ears, are that it has a peak from 5.8k-6.2k that is about 6db too much. I EQ it down 4db and its perfect. The soundstage is also a bit too narrow, wish it was a little more open sounding.

Its a shame that they couldnt get their crap together because they had a winner here, its a real competitor for the HD650 IM).

If the Fidelio X3 has this same sound (in a perfect world with the treble peak removed !) with a wider soundstage they will have a home run for sure.

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #336 of 401
Apparently I like these as much as the Focal Clear! I just spent an hour at the store AB'ing the two. Amazing, because the first time I heard the Clear, I was prepared to wait for a sale and shell out 1k for it.

Yeah now I'm even more interested in the x3. I'll order it the day it's released (which I thought was supposed to come in October but I guess not).

I don't think I'm a treble-head, but I don't experience too high of a peak in the a800. I suppose they're brighter than Harman though, given that the Clear is and I basically didn't notice a difference. However, the x2 was ~Harman, so it would make sense for the a800 and/or x3 to be (unless they gave up trying to tune it that way, since Tyll said they made some sacrifices to tune the x2 that way).

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #337 of 401
These or the HD650? Anyone had both?

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #338 of 401
These or the HD650? Anyone had both?

Yeah, I've got both and does definitely prefer the A800. That being said I'm not a huge fan ov the HD650, beautiful midrange but very limited to some music for me.

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #339 of 401
How are the A800 in terms of comfort? The headband doesn't seem very comfortable.

Coming from the Fidelio X2, these sound like the real upgrade but if they are super heavy...

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #340 of 401
How are the A800 in terms of comfort? The headband doesn't seem very comfortable.

Coming from the Fidelio X2, these sound like the real upgrade but if they are super heavy...

I find the to be pretty comfortable, the pads are quite stiff so after a few hours of usage I can get soar on the ears. The X2's are slightly too big to be really comfortable for me even on the smallest setting. Soundwise they're really a more refined version of the X2's imo.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #342 of 401
I have both. I say a800 unless you're sensitive to treble. It's not harsh, but it's not rolled off like the 6xx. As of today I do suspect the a800 could use some EQ, but that may be all it needs to be a truly elite headphone.
I agree, the A800 is an excellent headphone design and for those who don't find the tuning ideal or a good fit for their preference, the A800 responds well to equalizing efforts. If the A800 was a Sennheiser, or Denon design it would be significantly more popular and respected, but because it is an Onkyo offering, it just doesn't get the respect it deserves right out of the gate.

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #343 of 401
Is it sibilant without EQ?

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #344 of 401
Is it sibilant without EQ?
No, but possibly fatiguing. I have yet to give it an hours-long listening session.

There is a small treble peak somewhere that I'd reduce, but the main reason I mention EQ is that I'm starting to question the overall balance. I didn't question it until yesterday, when I finally heard a headphone I like more than the a800. Then again, that headphone (the iBasso sr-1) is said to be somewhat V-shaped, so maybe it's just that my preferences are less neutral than the a800.

I'll send it in for GRAS measurements and Harman PEQ presets (which will then be publicly available to download). I'm curious to see what its curve actually is, and then maybe with professional presets it will reclaim my headphone throne :)

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #345 of 401
No, but possibly fatiguing. I have yet to give it an hours-long listening session.

There is a small treble peak somewhere that I'd reduce, but the main reason I mention EQ is that I'm starting to question the overall balance. I didn't question it until yesterday, when I finally heard a headphone I like more than the a800. Then again, that headphone (the iBasso sr-1) is said to be somewhat V-shaped, so maybe it's just that my preferences are less neutral than the a800.

I'll send it in for GRAS measurements and Harman PEQ presets (which will then be publicly available to download). I'm curious to see what its curve actually is, and then maybe with professional presets it will reclaim my headphone throne :)
I reviewed the A800 and the company supplied their frequency response curve which was obtained using a head and torso measurement apparatus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back