Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
May 13, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #361 of 401
Hey Peter, that was a really good price. I bought them (new) a while back (March 2109) for a good deal at the time for 190 UK Pounds and I really disliked them for the sound as well as the comfort.

I found them really congested and over bassy. I did not think that they were a patch on the A800. I did not like the Meze 99 that much either so I guess that we all have different tastes in headphones.

I considered converting them into open backs but I would have had to rip them to bits in the process because they were molded or glued together is such a way, that would make it next to impossible...............

Just to give a different perspective. :)
Anyway, I hope that you and your family are keeping well during these crazy times! :beerchug:

Yeah, i hear what you're saying. Like I said, I'm not that found of closed headphones myself but these are one of my favorites so far. That being said I'd not use them (or any closed headphones) if I'm in a situation where there's no problem using open ones :wink:

For sound quality alone the A800 are a lot more enjoyable to me.

May 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #362 of 401
I'm just noticing where you are located and feel compelled to tell you that in sight as I write this I have two very nice pieces of 1970s vintage Poole pottery. So many nice pieces that I wish to collect. I think the Teac is more than adequate and really from where I sit I can't imagine a need to move past it so if you are happy with it why change it. The A800 are pretty easy to drive and unless a DAC is poorly implemented it really shouldn't make an audible difference. I had a $3000 DAC here along with a Mojo and an iFi iOne and really, they all sounded the same as a DAC. If you are already happy enough with the A800 and feel the 99 Classic can go by all means move it along, but I know that for myself, and many other people based on reading it is often nice to have an alternative sound signature when we want to take a break.
Ahh yes, Poole Pottery...sadly it closed down some years ago. They produced some beautiful and practical, every day crockery, as well as the collectible decorative pieces. :relaxed:

May 30, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #363 of 401
Does anybody know where I can get a compatible 4.4mm cable for these headphones (a800) I ordered one off Aliexpress however despite the cable being advertised as for these headphones I only get sound out of one side

thanks in advance

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #365 of 401
A great many thanks to everyone who chimed in on these. I've had my pair for over a week now, and I'm absolutely in love with them. Phenomenal timbre and tonality; very reminiscent of the planar Verum 1, with greater tonal density and a healthy dose of low-end punch. Smooth, natural highs. Plenty of dynamics without ever bordering on harshness or aggressiveness. My favourite closed-back is the E-MU Teak, and the A800 are a decidedly more even and refined open-back version of the Teaks.

IMG_5453.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #366 of 401
A great many thanks to everyone who chimed in on these. I've had my pair for over a week now, and I'm absolutely in love with them. Phenomenal timbre and tonality; very reminiscent of the planar Verum 1, with greater tonal density and a healthy dose of low-end punch. Smooth, natural highs. Plenty of dynamics without ever bordering on harshness or aggressiveness. My favourite closed-back is the E-MU Teak, and the A800 are a decidedly more even and refined open-back version of the Teaks.

IMG_5453.jpeg
I'm glad to see that these lovely headphones are still getting some love and attention.

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #367 of 401
Does anyone happen to know what the wiring of the cable is? I've not been able to find any details about it online, but I've heard that it's something similar to the LCD-1 (though I've yet to receive confirmation of that)

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #368 of 401
Does anyone happen to know what the wiring of the cable is? I've not been able to find any details about it online, but I've heard that it's something similar to the LCD-1 (though I've yet to receive confirmation of that)
Someone sent me the information long ago. I will hunt for it later and edit this post. It is different from some that look like they would work.

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #369 of 401

Iirc it's the same as the Meze 99, will double check tomorrow.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #370 of 401
Oct 26, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #371 of 401
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #372 of 401

IMG_5453.jpeg
Thoroughly agree. I'm in love with mine. You describe the qualities of the sound perfectly.

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #373 of 401
Nice to see a smattering of activity in the thread from time to time. I really liked that Onkyo made some very serious efforts with that lineup refresh and I hope that they are still going to do so again. Much like when Oppo came into the marketplace with real intention and produced some gems. Sadly as I'm sure most anybody reading in these forums knows Oppo exited the marketplace which was I think a great loss. It would be nice to see if Onkyo tries again as the A800, H900M and H500BT were all really nice and I think quite decently priced.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #374 of 401
I've tried quite a number of different headphones in the pursuit of a pair I really like the sound of. These pretty much tick all the boxes for me. Probably the only negative, not sound related, would be the size of head band and the material used for the earpads, which combine to making them quite warm to wear for any length of time....perfect for British winters but not so good for summer time or for traveling in hot countries.

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #375 of 401
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new, sealed A800 today. I probably paid too much but since they have been discontinued it's a seller's market and they are just going to keep getting harder to find. These have always tickled my curiosity so now I will finally get to scratch that itch. Hopefully I love them enough to make my wallet feel better.... 💸 Lol

Impressions to come! :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back