Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Jul 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #16 of 401
  subscribed, waiting for further impression.
I really likes the sound of HD650, maybe this headphone will be my next purchases

Is there some particular artists/songs/genres you like? Perhaps if I have them, or access through Tidal I could give you impressions based on music you listen to and even particular aspects that you listen for. Feel free to suggest songs etc. Cheers.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #17 of 401
  Is there some particular artists/songs/genres you like? Perhaps if I have them, or access through Tidal I could give you impressions based on music you listen to and even particular aspects that you listen for. Feel free to suggest songs etc. Cheers.

I listen to all genres of music, but recently I often listen to R&B, edm and jazz music.
thanks

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #18 of 401
  I listen to all genres of music, but recently I often listen to R&B, edm and jazz music.
thanks

Pretty much what I'm listening to these days, although less so R&B. Could you suggest a EDM artist (I listen to plenty of electronica) and a R&B artist?

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 401
  Pretty much what I'm listening to these days, although less so R&B. Could you suggest a EDM artist (I listen to plenty of electronica) and a R&B artist?

edm : zedd, calvin harris, tiesto, david guetta, diplo, avicii, daft punk, krewella, etc too much.
r&b : beyonce, r.kely, usher, chris brown, mariah carey, dake, etc

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 401
  edm : zedd, calvin harris, tiesto, david guetta, diplo, avicii, daft punk, krewella, etc too much.
r&b : beyonce, r.kely, usher, chris brown, mariah carey, dake, etc

Thanks mate, I have pretty much all of that so when I do my review I will certainly pick a few such artists to base my impressions upon. I can tell you right now that the A800 is one sick headphone. Last night I was going between the LCD 2F, TH 600 and the A800 and the A800 held it's own completely, and I think I would take it over the TH 600, but I do need more time with it.

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 401
  Thanks mate, I have pretty much all of that so when I do my review I will certainly pick a few such artists to base my impressions upon. I can tell you right now that the A800 is one sick headphone. Last night I was going between the LCD 2F, TH 600 and the A800 and the A800 held it's own completely, and I think I would take it over the TH 600, but I do need more time with it.

you're welcome bro.
wow, lcd 2 and th600 are sick bass headphones, I really like the bass in lcd 2, my friend have one, I'd tried it sound good, but so heavy in my head, can't hold any longer than 10 minutes
not yet testing th600
please, take your time with it 
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #22 of 401
  you're welcome bro.
wow, lcd 2 and th600 are sick bass headphones, I really like the bass in lcd 2, my friend have one, I'd tried it sound good, but so heavy in my head, can't hold any longer than 10 minutes
not yet testing th600
please, take your time with it 
beerchug.gif

Yes I like quality, solid bass and I am happy to say the A800 is not bass light at all. In fact, I think it has very, very good bass, both quantity and quality. If it gets enough exposure here on head-fi there is no reason in my mind that the A800 won't be a talked about and well respected player in the category. I think it will surprise people as it did me.

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 401
Sonic Defender - how are you finding these after more usage?
smily_headphones1.gif

I love the look  of them and I'm really keen to get a pair. Would love to hear your thoughts on how well they present the mids and bass in some techno tracks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvBbKMeCNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yv3TX8Zrg

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 401
  Sonic Defender - how are you finding these after more usage?
smily_headphones1.gif

I love the look  of them and I'm really keen to get a pair. Would love to hear your thoughts on how well they present the mids and bass in some techno tracks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvBbKMeCNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yv3TX8Zrg

The bass is awesome, right up there with the LCD 2F and TH 600 I have on hand. Less refined than the LCD 2, but certainly not far off, just different. The LCD 2 has a certain liquidity about it, but it is a very large surface area planar. The TH 600 punches nicely, goes a little deeper, but the A800 is very clean bass and it doesn't suffer any chamber reflection which I always feel I hear a little of with the TH 600. The mids are quite nice, as is the treble, compared to the LCD 2, a little more grain, but certainly not problematic. I think the A800 will really be a hit with many people. The bass is very fast and quite dynamic, perhaps the strong suit of the headphone. And the imaging is just superb, every bit as good as the LCD 2 in the listening I have done, or so damn close anyway.

I should have a measurement graph coming from ONKYO soon and if I'm allowed I will post it. I don't think Onkyo would have anything to hide, but I have no idea so I have to ask. I will look at those videos. My review will come late next week as I need time to actually get organized. I think this is like a more capable DT 880, which is a compliment as the A800 does everything better, but the tonal balance going by memory is similar, but again, better balanced with the A800. Well extend bass, well extended treble, solid mid range.

And I use a great deal of electronica and Nu Jazz (which is very electronic driven) to test. I like the deep, clean, tight and powerful bass of electronica.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #25 of 401
  The bass is awesome, right up there with the LCD 2F and TH 600 I have on hand. Less refined than the LCD 2, but certainly not far off, just different. The LCD 2 has a certain liquidity about it, but it is a very large surface area planar. The TH 600 punches nicely, goes a little deeper, but the A800 is very clean bass and it doesn't suffer any chamber reflection which I always feel I hear a little of with the TH 600. The mids are quite nice, as is the treble, compared to the LCD 2, a little more grain, but certainly not problematic. I think the A800 will really be a hit with many people. The bass is very fast and quite dynamic, perhaps the strong suit of the headphone. And the imaging is just superb, every bit as good as the LCD 2 in the listening I have done, or so damn close anyway.

I should have a measurement graph coming from ONKYO soon and if I'm allowed I will post it. I don't think Onkyo would have anything to hide, but I have no idea so I have to ask. I will look at those videos. My review will come late next week as I need time to actually get organized. I think this is like a more capable DT 880, which is a compliment as the A800 does everything better, but the tonal balance going by memory is similar, but again, better balanced with the A800. Well extend bass, well extended treble, solid mid range.

And I use a great deal of electronica and Nu Jazz (which is very electronic driven) to test. I like the deep, clean, tight and powerful bass of electronica.

This all sounds very promising! Really excited to see the graph and your review :)

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #26 of 401

This all sounds very promising! Really excited to see the graph and your review :)

Just back from camping in a wonderful glacial carved provincial park (Murphy's Point). I have e-mailed my contacts at Onkyo to make sure I can post the graph. Cheers.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #27 of 401
Here is my review of the A800 which I hope is useful to those seeking to learn more about this mysterious headphone.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/onkyo-a800-50mm-open-back-headphone/reviews

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #28 of 401
Having just sold off most of my pricey gear this headphone slots in perfectly at a price I'd be willing to pay right now for a headphone. There isn't much info out on the web about this Onkyo and doesn't appear to be available anywhere in the US currently. Have you heard anything about availability in north america? @Sonic Defender

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #29 of 401
  Having just sold off most of my pricey gear this headphone slots in perfectly at a price I'd be willing to pay right now for a headphone. There isn't much info out on the web about this Onkyo and doesn't appear to be available anywhere in the US currently. Have you heard anything about availability in north america? @Sonic Defender

I sent my contact an e-mail about availability on Friday so hopefully in a few days I get some news. I'll update this thread with anything I learn one way or the other.

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #30 of 401
Hi all, I just jumped onto the Onkyo A800/H900 enjoyment bandwagon.

I was in the store just 2 hours ago and I saw these two babies sitting on the shelf waiting to be heard. I asked the store assistant if I could try it on and to my surprise, the H900Ms are mobile phone friendly. Rated at 16ohms I plugged these into my Sony smartphone and started playing music from Spotify since my Cayin i5 player was out of juice.

I was quite surprised by the decent quality of sound that came from the H900Ms. I was greeted by a highly detailed sound signature with very clear and crisp highs which were the highlight to these headphones from my experience.

I listen to EDM and R&B most of the time.

I haven't tried the A800, especially since they come with the larger headphone plug meant for desktop amplifiers and such, but I was quite satisfied with the overall performance of the H900M. Not very often do you find a decent pair of cans at the price-range of these babies.

I was quoted about $2600HKD for the H900Ms, which runs at about $335USD. Not bad.

When I got home, I searched online to see if there were retailers selling these headphones. It seems that they are still not very popular on the retail side and I have only found one retailer from the UK that stocks them at a lower price of £230GBP. They are located in the UK, so it would require shipping charges to get to HK or the US. Nevermind, they're still a good price for a special pair of headphones.

I wonder when Amazon and eBay will finally stock these as they would probably be a good place for people to buy these headphones over in the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back