Onkyo A800 – "MASTER CLASS"
May 12, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #211 of 278
I tried the pad on the topic.
They are comfortable and provide a good view of the sound without compromising the overall balance👍
I like using it.
20230513_124923.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #213 of 278
I am back from a live concert with one of the best bands in the world Band-Maid. That band is incredible and each member is very talented. I love and appreciate each member on what they bring to the band: Saiki; Miku; Kanami; Akane; and Misa. I highly recommend anyone to visit Band-Maid at least once. My position in the concert was 3rd row, center near stage right. So after the concert, even though my ears are piercing from the extremely high level of volume being played at the concert, I wanted more. First try to recapture the magic using my 2 channel speaker system... disappointed because the tonality of the guitar wasn't crunchy enough for me. Try my other headphones like the ATH-L3000, ATH-AD2000, and others. No no, not even close. Then, save the best for last, Onkyo A800 using my Caldera thin pads time to shine! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Not even close to live of course, but man this taste really good. The crunchiness the Onkyo A800 brings to Miku guitar, the clean riffs that do justice to Kanami guitar, the powerful vocals for Saiki, the bass bites on each note, and the kick bass from Akane Drums visceral in my head. This is why I sold all those other TOTLs and was insane enough to buy another pair of Onkyo A800. This experience reminds me why the Onkyo A800 is my favorite headphone of all time. Nothing will close to the experience the Onkyo A800 will provide for your music.

When I head the Re:Zero OST, it reminded me of the live symphony I went to earlier this month. I played the piece "Night in the Garden of Spain" and man that was amazing. I tried to remember how it was compared to the live performance I went to. Obviously, the live performance was better, but man... that felt like I had my own personal theater for a minute there. I want to listen to more classical music on the Onkyo A800. I will probably try Pastoral next since I have the DSD files for that.
It reminded me of this experience when I listen to "Night in the Garden of Spain" and "Pastoral Symphony" live and tested to see if the Onkyo A800 can recapture that magic. Obviously, nothing beats live performance, but the experience the Onkyo A800 provides for my music is one of a kind. I enjoy the Onkyo A800 as if it was another form of live music. I hope that makes sense. Put being, the Onkyo A800 presentation on music is easily my favorite and I wish I could find a speaker with a similar tuning to the Onkyo A800 to build my dream audio setup. I would sell my ex-TOTL headphones over and over again, but I will always keep my beloved Onkyo A800.

Thought I would share this experience with my favorite community, you guys, the Onkyo A800 pillars. Here are some pics from the Band-Maid concert. If you are interested in their US Tour 2023, check out this website for dates and information on tickets: https://bandmaid.tokyo/contents/617485

My favorite song at the concert was "No God". The drum solo from Akane as an opener to the song, the insane energy from the crowd that got us jumping the entire time, screaming from the top of my lungs in the chorus with Saiki, I F'ing love Band-Maid and hope to go another concert from them. I want to go to an outdoor concert from them and a concert on their home turf in Japan one day.

Concert Pics:
IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

May 24, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #216 of 278
Definitely the kind of sound that a800 can reproduce more organically and physically then others and grow you an addiction on....

Nice melodies and sounds production
And the bass player ....

Voice isn't my fav flavour

Anything in english available from them ?
Bass player is super talented. I am not a Bass guitar expert, but a lot of bass players is impress with Misa because of how well she can transition pick style to slap style and how natural she backup vocals, guitars, and drums and still is able to some melodies into the music. Misa is really talented and also a lot of people favorites member in the band. This is also one of the reason I feel like no other headphones can do this justice. Because of the Onkyo A800 impressive bass, the Bass player Misa can really shines and you can really hear her talented plays in the music. Both Misa (Bass Guitar) and Saiki (vocalist) are my favorite part in Band-Maid music. But all of them are really good once you listen to their songs a lot more like Miku (Rhythm Guitar/Backup Vocals) gets more complicated riffs for the background on albums after 2016, Miku is the guitarist that usually have a really nice crunchy sound in the music. Akane (Drums) got really good with twin pedals and ability to switch beat so naturally is really good. And then we have Kanami with a more bright and clean electric guitar sounds. Kanami guitar solos is always epic and was really fun watching live. When I lock myself in a dungeon to learn more about Band-Maid, I actually primarily use the Onkyo A800. I was using the ATH-AD2000 in the beginning for faster paced songs, but the tonality for bass guitar was too lacking for me and the bass player is one of the best part of their music. So back the Onkyo A800 went on my head when I was studying Band-Maid music.

No English songs, but the 2021 album “Unseen World” and 2022 album “Unleash” have a lot of English lyrics mix with Japanese. I like their Japanese mix with English lyrics because Miku (Rhythm Guitar/Backup Vocals) usually write their lyrics. Miku uses a lot of wordplay in her music. She likes to use some Japanese words that she wanted the lead vocals pronounce it like it’s a English words so the lyrics will have multiple meaning depending what language you speak.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #219 of 278
Happy to join the club... First impression is spectacular, listening on Feliks tube amp. Very energetic. Great find!
Welcome new pillar of the Onkyo A800 community! Glad you are loving your first impression. You also got a great collection of Japanese brand headphones with both the Sony MDR-SA5000, JVC HA-SW01, and now the Onkyo A800.

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #221 of 278
Sneak peek on the Vesper pads I will be posting more details tomorrow because these impress me more than I thought they would. If you guys want to know my ATH-L3000 Vesper pads impression, you can see it in the Vesper pads thread in this forum. Spoiler alert for tomorrow's impression post: these Vesper pads are excellent!

IMG_0756.jpeg

Jun 18, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #222 of 278
G'day fellow A800 owners! For anyone considering replacing / changing pads, here's my 2 cents.
^If anyone has a question on removing the mounting plate, please see the quote above.

*Cross-posting from the Onkyo A800 thread and this thread

It took about 1 - 2 months to receive these Vesper Audio Pads. I did make some last-minute changes and it's like EU to Southeastern USA. 1st impression is that I really like the basic Vesper Audio Onkyo A800 pads. I order these with my ATH-L3000 and those pads are awesome as well. I want to say Vesper Audio is a really good copycat pad maker that stay pretty close to the original source, but they will always be little differences and they are flexible with customization. I really like the little plastic mounting plate for the Onkyo A800 for people that lost their mounting plate. I do not know how to install the Vesper Audio pads properly on the Onkyo A800. Vesper Audio told me it's double adhesive rings, but I think I only got 1 sided adhesive rings unless I do not know where to peel which could happen. I email Vesper audio if it's supposed to be double adhesive rings or maybe if I am missing something. In terms of comfort, they are pretty ok, not the best I wore and not the worst I wore. The Vesper Audio Onkyo Pads I got were really thick, so my ears only touch the pads, not the driver.

Sound Differences:
Onkyo A800 Caldera Thin Pads:
* Most comfortable and smallest pad
* Have the most visceral impact
*Soundstage is intimate

Vesper Audio Onkyo Custom Pad - Black, Not through perforation (as shown in the screenshot from your response),
(not through) perforated leather on the inner cavity with (through) perforated alcantara in black.
All other surfaces are intact (whole gain real leather), angled pad,
regular acoustic foam Impression:
* Soundstage is further compared to the other 3 pads.
* Overall more veil compare to the basic Vesper pads
* Feels like it favors more in the lower region and the upper region of the frequency sound nonexistent. Basically, I think the bass overpowers the other frequency.
* Visceral impact
* Sound louder

Vesper Audio Onkyo Basic Pad - Basic black pad, real whole leather, Natural latex Impression:
* Soundstage is more intimate and the music is closer
* Most clear sounding pad, but just by a little bit
* Less visceral impact compare to the Caldera Thin pads, but it's still there
* Sound louder, making me feel like I'm closer to the music

I did not like the Vesper Audio Onkyo Custom Pad at all. I think I went too crazy on the customization on it, so this pad will not be part of the discussion any longer. At the end of this 1st impression, I really like both the Caldera Thin Pads and the Vesper Audio Onkyo A800 basic pads. Both of these pads have a great balance of bass, midrange, and treble. They are pretty similar in terms of sound quality overall, but both have a little different experiences. For example, the Caldera Thin Pads have a more visceral impact while the Vesper Audio Onkyo A800 basic pads have more clarity. In my opinion, the Vesper Audio Onyko A800 basic pads sound a little sweeter in the midrange vs the Caldera Thin pads. This may be due to the Caldera Thin pads being more focused on the bass range. The difference isn't a huge jump, but it's a noticeable little difference.

At the end of the day, I have to tell myself, what do I like more? More visceral impact or a little more clarity and sweeter midrange? After finally having breakfast, I decided to keep the Vesper Audio Onkyo Basic Pad for my main Onkyo A800. I kept the Caldera thin pads installed on my backup Onkyo A800 if I want a little more visceral impact.

Was it worth the price and wait time? I think it's a fair price and wait time isn't that bad unless you desperately need a pad in 1 week. For wait time, I just order and forget about it until I receive an email.

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

^Onkyo A800 with Mounting Plate

IMG_0759.jpg

^Onkyo A800 without Mounting Plate

1.png

IMG_0765.jpg

^ Vesper Audio Onkyo A800 Basic Pad install on left side, Caldera Thin Pads install right side

IMG_0767.jpg

^ Closer look at the Caldera Thin Pads install on the Onkyo A800

IMG_0768.jpg

^ Closer look at the Vesper Audio Onkyo A800 Basic Pad installed in the Onkyo A800. You can see the driver very clearly since it does not have a screen.

Jun 19, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #223 of 278
*Cross post on installing the Vesper Onkyo A800 pads

Vesper Audio was able to answer my question very quickly. I didn’t know this, but the side that said “3M” stick to the black ring in the Vesper Audio Onkyo Pads. These pads is officially really cool lol. Not only the Vesper Audio installed a replacement mount in their Onkyo A800 pads, but it’s really easy to installed. Take off the 1 side of the brown ring and stick it to the Onkyo A800. Then just press the black ring inside Vesper Audio Onkyo A800 pads against the brown ring and voilà! Pads easily installed. I was way over thinking it in the first place lol. These pads are hella cool, thank you Vesper Audio for making Onkyo A800 pads 🙏

IMG_0772.jpeg

^double adhesive rings

IMG_0773.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

Jun 22, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #224 of 278
I will be at CanJam Chicago Friday - Sunday. I will be bringing my 2 of my top 3 favorite headphones, the Onkyo A800 (Vesper Pads) and Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee with my Cayin N7 DAP. If anyone is interested, DM me, love to spread the sound of my favorite headphone around.

IMG_0788.jpeg

Jun 23, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #225 of 278
Onkyo A800 (Vesper Pads) and Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee
HD580 jubilee is a great headphone. Very nice.

Hope you try many amps with the A800 and find a nice hidden gem.
20230623_123208.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back