OnePlus 3 Audio Quality?
Jun 30, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #16 of 52
It does take some battery to stream music. Anytime you are using wifi or data, it's using power.

True, but find the difference negligible and you don't need extra storage space that depends on how much music you listen to. Still, my Nexus 5 is almost dead if not dead by the end of the day, so I'll have to see if the LG V10 has good battery life, or I'll get an iPod.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #17 of 52
If you want a cost effective good sounding DAP, get a Fiio X1. Excellent sound for the price. Takes micro SD cards, so you can determine how much storage you want or are willing to spend the money on.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #18 of 52
True, but find the difference negligible and you don't need extra storage space that depends on how much music you listen to. Still, my Nexus 5 is almost dead if not dead by the end of the day, so I'll have to see if the LG V10 has good battery life, or I'll get an iPod.

The V10 has good battery, but running the Hifi DAC/Amp does eat juice a little faster, how much faster probably depends on how hard to drive your headphones are. My solution to the battery issue was simply to pick up a spare battery and charging cradle, so it's just a quick 10 second swap from 0% to 100%. Can't do that with an iPod

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #19 of 52
Sure. Some people don't have many music files and prefer using a subscription music service instead.

What do you mean?

I have thousands of songs in playlists on Spotify.

Having that quantity of music is the reason I do not want to copy+paste songs over and over again to my phone whenever I find new ones I like.

So now If I want to add something to my library I can just save it for offline listening, and the quality is 320, so yeah, pretty neat.

Plus the playlists and everything are saved in the cloud, so I can access it from multiple devices, and not having to worry about them getting lost.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #20 of 52
I cant comment on the sound quality, but i'm not feeling the placement of the jack at the bottom of the phone. i usually have it in my jacket when i'm out and about, so prefer to have this at the top of the phone. who am i kidding, i'll probably get it anyways.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #21 of 52
I cant comment on the sound quality, but i'm not feeling the placement of the jack at the bottom of the phone. i usually have it in my jacket when i'm out and about, so prefer to have this at the top of the phone. who am i kidding, i'll probably get it anyways.

I prefer it on the bottom, I especially dislike the center-top ones like the LG G4, I put the phone with the L-shaped cable on the bottom in my pant pocket.
If you do get the OP3, tell me how it sounds!

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #22 of 52
Just be sure to use a good pair of headphones and you have a crisp and clear sound with OnePlus 3.

For more information, just check this link:
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/audio-music-questionnaire-for-oneplus-3.453821/
OnePlus hearing their costumers! :wink:

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #23 of 52
Typing this from my OP3 while listening music on it for the first time. Coming from the Motorola Moto X Play, it's a definite upgrade! Get the phone, it's great. You won't regret it!

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #24 of 52
Just be sure to use a good pair of headphones and you have a crisp and clear sound with OnePlus 3.

For more information, just check this link:
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/audio-music-questionnaire-for-oneplus-3.453821/
OnePlus hearing their costumers! :wink:

Typing this from my OP3 while listening music on it for the first time. Coming from the Motorola Moto X Play, it's a definite upgrade! Get the phone, it's great. You won't regret it!

Thanks for your input, it seems like the audio quality isn't as bad as I initially thought. I'm getting closer and closer to buying one.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #27 of 52
Hey guys,

I have the OP3 A3003 for a few weeks now, coming from a samsung s4 i9505. Let me share my two cents, I use them with the RHA 750's.

Long story short, I am absolutely blown away by the sound quality of this device. At the beginning I thought there was something wrong with the thing, because everything sounded horrible. Turned out it was showing the crippled nature of bad mp3's. I have never had a device that was so damn precise and I never noticed that some of my files were so bad. I would even say the s4 was an big upgrade from my ipod touch 4G, but this thing is in a league of its own.

With good quality mp3's (or FLAC's of course) the OP3 absolutely rocks. All the detail is right there, as if there wasnt a single analog component that touched the signal. Some particular sounds seemed to have 'cleaned up' coming from the s4. They have gotten a whole new feel and atmosphere to them, and there is new micro detail to be found in them. I listen to songs on the OP3 and I find myself thinking "aaah, that is the way this sound was supposed to be". Every kick drum and every high hat sounds different with device.

The soundstaging on this thing is pretty good too, great focus and depth. The bass is kind of heavy but very nimble at the same time, the mids are very clear and have a lot of attack (might be a bit too much for some), the highs are quite airy but also very fast. Overall its a very clear and dynamic sound, with lots of attack but lacking a bit in punch. The s4 sounds muddy in comparison. 

To me it is solid performer, it delivers the sound with bit precision without any polishing, which is a rare characteristic that I really appreciate. Use it with bad files you will have a very bad time, with good files and recordings its a pleasure to listen to.

I might put it against me dad's iphone 6 when I get the chance. I expect the iphone to sound much more polished and warm, but that is what I recollect from a long ago memory. Probably it works better with poor quality audio also. I really liked the headphone output of the iphone back then.

After the review from gsmarena I was really suprised by the sound quality of this phone. The people from pocketnow found different results, but they dont really talk a lot about them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkbH0QtssU4). Anyway, to me it is possible that the output of the OP3 was crippled due to the high playback volume. Also, I dont really care about most of those numbers; which phone has the most not-audible stereo crosstalk should not really be a big consideration IMO. What those numbers do not tell you is transient wave response, which is about 10x more important then what those numbers show because nobody ever listens to monotone frequency sweeps (I hope :) ). My s4 measures way better, but I prefer the SQ of the OP3 by a large extend.

On the practical side, the amp goes incredibly loud, I bet you can drive some pretty serious cans with the OP3. The downside to this, is that the volume steps are very big for easy-to-drive buds like mine. I often feel that the sound is either to soft or loud, that's a pretty big con for me. What I find really handy are the gesture controls. Which means you can go to the next song by writing ">" on the screen whilst the device is locked etc.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #28 of 52
I use the OP3 with a pair of black AKG Y50 and the sound is just fine. I am currently interested in the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 on-ear headphones and I was wondering if these will sound good (preferably great) with this phone... What do you think?

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #29 of 52
  Hey guys,

I have the OP3 A3003 for a few weeks now, coming from a samsung s4 i9505. Let me share my two cents, I use them with the RHA 750's.

Long story short, I am absolutely blown away by the sound quality of this device. At the beginning I thought there was something wrong with the thing, because everything sounded horrible. Turned out it was showing the crippled nature of bad mp3's. I have never had a device that was so damn precise and I never noticed that some of my files were so bad. I would even say the s4 was an big upgrade from my ipod touch 4G, but this thing is in a league of its own.

With good quality mp3's (or FLAC's of course) the OP3 absolutely rocks. All the detail is right there, as if there wasnt a single analog component that touched the signal. Some particular sounds seemed to have 'cleaned up' coming from the s4. They have gotten a whole new feel and atmosphere to them, and there is new micro detail to be found in them. I listen to songs on the OP3 and I find myself thinking "aaah, that is the way this sound was supposed to be". Every kick drum and every high hat sounds different with device.

The soundstaging on this thing is pretty good too, great focus and depth. The bass is kind of heavy but very nimble at the same time, the mids are very clear and have a lot of attack (might be a bit too much for some), the highs are quite airy but also very fast. Overall its a very clear and dynamic sound, with lots of attack but lacking a bit in punch. The s4 sounds muddy in comparison. 

To me it is solid performer, it delivers the sound with bit precision without any polishing, which is a rare characteristic that I really appreciate. Use it with bad files you will have a very bad time, with good files and recordings its a pleasure to listen to.

I might put it against me dad's iphone 6 when I get the chance. I expect the iphone to sound much more polished and warm, but that is what I recollect from a long ago memory. Probably it works better with poor quality audio also. I really liked the headphone output of the iphone back then.

After the review from gsmarena I was really suprised by the sound quality of this phone. The people from pocketnow found different results, but they dont really talk a lot about them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkbH0QtssU4). Anyway, to me it is possible that the output of the OP3 was crippled due to the high playback volume. Also, I dont really care about most of those numbers; which phone has the most not-audible stereo crosstalk should not really be a big consideration IMO. What those numbers do not tell you is transient wave response, which is about 10x more important then what those numbers show because nobody ever listens to monotone frequency sweeps (I hope :) ). My s4 measures way better, but I prefer the SQ of the OP3 by a large extend.

On the practical side, the amp goes incredibly loud, I bet you can drive some pretty serious cans with the OP3. The downside to this, is that the volume steps are very big for easy-to-drive buds like mine. I often feel that the sound is either to soft or loud, that's a pretty big con for me. What I find really handy are the gesture controls. Which means you can go to the next song by writing ">" on the screen whilst the device is locked etc.

If you can write something compared to the Iphone 6 it will be nice!

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #30 of 52

If you can write something compared to the Iphone 6 it will be nice!

At the moment I am abroad for an internship. Will be back in February for a comparison :).

Just to come back at the topic; after the hype, I feel that the OP3 is just an okay sounding device. For everyday use, I feel it just has a tad too much attack, making it that I do not enjoy listening to it too much. I would not buy it for its sound quality, but the headphone out is just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back