One vs Two vs Three Drivers
Jun 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 30
Multiple drivers always run into problems with crossovers. Crossovers are notoriously difficult and tricky to implement. I've used the e3c for a few years now and like their coherency, which is similar to singledriver headphones. Despite some drawbacks, I think singledriver speakers are among the best.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #17 of 30
That was the term I couldn't dig out my knowledge in my last post; crossover!
tongue.gif

As others have discussed, I would expect it to be tricky to synergise separate drivers and that obviously the allocation of frequencies to drivers and their synergy would be a major factor in their sound quality and sonic character. Get this right though and you would expect the sq to be better and more defined as the frequency range is spread across more than one driver.

I should be getting my hands on a pair of SE530's so i'm keen to try these out and compare to my single driver SA6!
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
technique > quantity

Yeah, but why not both?
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 30
This is a great discussion, as more drivers usually means more $$$ - how much of that is marketing and how much is actually improvement upon the delivery of sound?
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to decide between a 3-driver FreQ Show and a 2-driver Livewire, so this is either making my decision that much easier or that much more difficult!!

john

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Multiple drivers always run into problems with crossovers.

There is no 'always' (read the second post in this thread.) It is possible for a crossover to produce a problem in a poor design, or none at all in a good design. There is no ironclad rule. One might just as well say that 'single drivers always have problems because they are trying to cover such a large range of frequencies' (and of course that statement would be equally incorrect.)

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how come you hated the um2s? did you amp them properly? I must admit they are a bit tubby without amping.

absolutely no highs whatsover in my opinion, it felt like i was listening to music through a wet towel, this is both unamped and amped with a mini3/MisterX XP

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
absolutely no highs whatsover in my opinion, it felt like i was listening to music through a wet towel, this is both unamped and amped with a mini3/MisterX XP

I had the same experience with both the UM1s and UM2s
tongue.gif

They weren't just veiled, it really felt I like had to 'look' for the sound. The active frequencies were pushed so far back, it was ridiculous and almost painful to listen to.

EK

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, that's a shame. I find it was only really bad with the foam comply tips and using headphone out ports. Perhaps I have a newer or older version of the UM2s or they simply work properly....they were serviced and remade by westone just before I bought them from a head-fier.
Were they that bad form stock???? Sorry to hijack, but it seems so incredible that the UM2s were THAT bad. I know they're not bright, but at least for me amped they have enough in the top to play classical music really well. Not flawlessly or up to their retail price, but good nontheless.

Thing is, it could be a malfunction in your crossover or something??? lol.
Perhaps a driver is breaking???

Back on thread::::
either way, perhaps this just adds to the debate of one vs two vs three way drivers. Perhaps multiples are more prone to failure and unbalanced sound.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more drivers usually means a more full sound since the drivers are more dedicated to certain frequencies.

Not always mored detailed, but more full.

Germ. can you please expand on what you mean by "full." It seems a bit imprecise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Okay, smart-a** I'll revise
tongue.gif
:

technique >= quantity

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Heh, what I meant was, there seems to be a limit with armatures that doesn't exist with dynamic drivers in headphones. A single armature simply can't handle the entire frequency range properly.

I am thinking about the UE-11 (as usual
tongue.gif
). There have been very respected head-fiers saying that the usual problems that occurs when combining multiple drivers are almost non-existant with the UE-11 (four drivers). A good example of a combination of technique and quantity.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, what I meant was, there seems to be a limit with armatures that doesn't exist with dynamic drivers in headphones. A single armature simply can't handle the entire frequency range properly.

I am thinking about the UE-11 (as usual
tongue.gif
). There have been very respected head-fiers saying that the usual problems that occurs when combining multiple drivers are almost non-existant with the UE-11 (four drivers). A good example of a combination of technique and quantity.

Okay, how about:

+/- technique(X)<===> +/- quality(Y)

Its the X and Y factors that are the byotch.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Okay, how about:

+/- technique(X)<===> +/- quality(Y)

Its the X and Y factors that are the byotch.
biggrin.gif

Approved and stamped.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back