one song explodes
Feb 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
White Christmas-Bing Crosby

[size=xx-large]Good Stuff[/size] (a plot to overtake Jahn's role of post supremeous)

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 32
ISIS-The Beginning and the End [Live w/ 27 and Extended]

Its wonderful on disc, but it was probably one of the most moving experiences of my life seeing it ACTUALLY performed live.

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 32
Cursive - A Red Handed Slight of Hand

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #20 of 32
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but taking this:
Quote:

it's that one song that embodies everything you love about that artist, that album

I'd say "The Becoming" by Nine Inch Nails. I definitely find it embodies everything I love about that artist.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #21 of 32
I'd say "Famous Last Words" by My Chemical Romance.

There's a few reasons:
1) It's meaning is incredibly powerful, and the song says it rather explicitly, yet subtly at the same time.

2) Where it's placed on the album/ live. The song comes after an acoustic ballad ("Disenchanted") that is possibly the most dreary piece of music MCR has ever put out. When I saw them on the Black Parade World Tour, they played the entire album through, and to have that experience live was one of the most epic moments of my life.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #22 of 32
Feb 25, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #24 of 32
I think I see what this thread is about. For me, it's the song that - no matter how jaded one's musical palette has become - will always make one sit up and lock into the music. Not just (maybe not even) that artist's best song, but a song that goes way beyond any individual artist or genre. It's a very personal call, but here are some of mine:

Zappa & Ensemble Modern, "G-Spot Tornado"
Marillion, "The Last Straw"
Simple Minds, "Oh Jungleland" (not to be confused with Springsteen's!)
Rufus Wainwright, "Go Or Go Ahead"
Prince, "Baby I'm A Star"
Tori Amos, "I Can't See New York"

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #26 of 32
Recently, and without a doubt, Goliath off of The Mars Volta's The Bedlam in Goliath.

And Vic, Stereolab did this to me once in the past as well, but for a whole album. Sound-Dust captured my imagination for a full year. Might seem like an odd pick, but this is their best album by miles, in my mind.

[EDIT] Though I don't contest that Emperor Tomato Ketchup is really the pinnacle of their original sound. It's also their other front-to-back masterpiece.

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #27 of 32
wow, Viper, bucking the trend there with Sound-Dust... nice!

at this moment, the one song that's exploding for me:

The Clash - "White Man in Hammersmith Palais"

in college, a friend of mine and i used to have these periodic musical reveries where we'd put this song on and just get lost in it... we called it "The White Man Experience."

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, Viper, bucking the trend there with Sound-Dust... nice!

No shesum! I'm the baton-twirling, head cheerleader for Emperor Tomato Ketchup. Viper's obviously looking for trouble.

It's trite, but I don't care: Kid A (the track). Lets me tangibly relive a great experience I had every time I hear it.

But one that popped in to mind before any other was Lambchop - Your screw*** Sunny Day

Sorry for the language, but that is the name of the tune.

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #29 of 32
Well, you two lads have inspired me. Sound-dust and ETK are my two favourite Stereolab albums, so they're both getting some head time over the next few days in a good old fashioned shootout. We'll see who is the victor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back