One side of headphones not working
Apr 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xecure

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Klipsch S4i II headphones. After a few months of using it (it's not under warranty) the sound coming out of one of the ears cuts in and out but if the wire is held at a certain angle near the 3.5mm plug it would work. I've been doing this for a few days but now holding the wire at the particular angle isn't doing it any more. The sounds keeps going out no matter what angle I hold it at.

I have some very limited experience in soldering but would love to learn more. But before I go ahead and cut up my headphones I wanted to get a few "second" opinions on the matter. From your previous experience do you think re-soldering the wires onto a new 3.5mm plug will fix this issue? Also any quick recommendations for cheap ($5 or less) 3.5mm plugs?

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 5
Have you tried plugging them to a different source?

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 5
99% chance it is the 3.5mm connector. I really like switchcrft, quality at a great price. Google switchcraft 3.5mm to find em.

If you want to know what wire goes to what channel, leave just a bit of wire, enough that you can strip, on end of the jack. Strip, and use a mulitmeter to test which wire goes to left, right and ground. So left would be the tip of the plug, right is the center, and ground is last, or back. You can also use multimeter to see which soldering terminal goes to left right ground on your new connector. You want to set multimeter to measure resistance, 0hms is Tue reading you are looking for. Most multimeters will also measure continuity, they will beep, can use that as well.

Good luck!!

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 5
99% chance it is the 3.5mm connector. I really like switchcrft, quality at a great price. Google switchcraft 3.5mm to find em.

If you want to know what wire goes to what channel, leave just a bit of wire, enough that you can strip, on end of the jack. Strip, and use a mulitmeter to test which wire goes to left, right and ground. So left would be the tip of the plug, right is the center, and ground is last, or back. You can also use multimeter to see which soldering terminal goes to left right ground on your new connector. You want to set multimeter to measure resistance, 0hms is Tue reading you are looking for. Most multimeters will also measure continuity, they will beep, can use that as well.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the reply! I'll be ordering either a switchcraft or a neutrik tonight and will post pictures after the fix 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back