One rig to last forever
Oct 27, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #31 of 37
I suggest asking what the best $500 rigs are for the HD600, HD650, D2000, etc. for the music you listen to. Since the music you listen to is varied, I suggest stating what type of music you prefer over the other types, or better, describe the kind of sound you want. Asking for sound quality from a $500 rig is do-able in a variety of ways, especially for a non-audiophile Head-Fier. However, the better you describe what you want, the better others can advise you. At least this way you'll have a selection of rigs from which to choose. And you really shouldn't simply choose because it is the most popular. Rather, you should choose because you think it will match your listening preferences.

The HD650 will be hard to drive well for a $500 rig. One Head-Fier posted a while back that he loved his HD650 + 0404 and preferred it to more expensive equipment with the HD650. There have been lengthy discussions about whether this was a decent rig, and whether the HD650 was driven well.

I think you would be much better off with a decent DAC/amp and the D2000, because it will be driven well. The HD600 will sound very good too with a nice DAC/amp, but it's harder to drive well than the D2000. At least that's what I read.

The better you ask your questions and provide helpful information, the better others will be willing and able to offer solutions for you.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #33 of 37
krmathis:

Have you thought about the Isabella with DAC and headphone amp option? I wonder how the Isabella's headphone amp compares to more well known full sized headphone amps from Headamp, Meier, and Ray Samuels.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsynet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
krmathis:

Have you thought about the Isabella with DAC and headphone amp option? I wonder how the Isabella's headphone amp compares to more well known full sized headphone amps from Headamp, Meier, and Ray Samuels.

No, I really have not.
1. The Isabellina output far enough signal strength to drive the Signature 30.2 directly, without a pre-amplifiers.
2. I only have one source, and don't need input switch capability.
3. I don't really need a dynamic headphone amplifier, since I have no suitable headphone or current plans to acquire one.

The Isabellina have received some nice reviews though, so I believe the headphone amplifier section are quite nice as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you still have the K1Ks, KRMathis?

I sure do! ...and enjoy them very much.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #37 of 37
If you end up going after the PL750 then buy used for sure. The sell here regularly on the forum for $200-225.

They are "good" headphones but definitely not worth the $350-450 retail value you quoted in your original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back